Sightseeing Tours, Hong Kong

Know about this?

• sheryl_tan's Profile Photo

Don't believe everything that...

by sheryl_tan Written Aug 24, 2002

Don't believe everything that the local guide tells you.
    1)A half-day city tour was included in our trip. In the morning, the guide offered everyone a Tim Sum breakfast and a lunch for HK$240 for each person. Since there were five of us, we paid HK$1200. The food was lousy so we definitely felt cheated. A few days later, my family ate Tim Sum at the hotel where we were staying and the bills were less than HK$300 each.

2)Our guide brought us to a big jeweller which he had promoted during the journey. The company is famous for their 'fortune' pendant that turns whenever you move. where we spent thousands of HK$ buying the jewelleries there believing that they are unique, happy that they had given us some discounts. But horrors of horrors, when we went to Shenzhen with another guide, we discovered the the pendants were selling at half of what we paid. They claimed that the pendants sold in HK were made in China! Who shall I believe?

3) In Hong Kong, we were also brought to a chinese medical hall where my father was persuaded to buy expensive herbs and medication said to be rare and supplies are limited. Believing that the herbs will help him in his medical conditons, my father spent yet thousands of dollars. Once again over at Shengzhen and some medical halls in Hong Kong itself, the same herbs were sold much cheaper.

Talking about money well spent, just don't buy where your guide brings you.

• The Monkey's Tale at Ngong Ping - So not worth it

by explorer-san Written Sep 2, 2007

I bought the ticket to the Monkey's Tale, an animated story about a monkey, along with my ticket to Ngong Ping 360 on Lantau island. The story was a very simple one projected in a small theatre. It was not worth the time and money though.

• santeria01's Profile Photo

Hong Kong picture plate

by santeria01 Written Aug 25, 2008

I dunno why but I guess it's because they offer low rates on the sightseeing tours, that they just cash in on alternatives like taking your picture and have it pasted on a hong kong plate. The tour guide was so insistent, saying it's ok if we are not to buy that, just allow the cameraman to take our pictures, etc etc. After an hour the tour guide showed us the plates and the price (150 HKD!), and she says it's the cameraman's profit and appealed that we take one, etc etc. Am a sucker for appeals like that but I didn't buy the plate. And then the guide appealed that we buy some key chains as our way to show appreciation to our bus drivers. WTF.

The camera guy took a group picture (not imbedded on a plate) so I bought that. 50 HKD. Oh well...

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Picture in a Ceramic Frame!

by machomikemd Updated Sep 25, 2014

a caveat!

all tours whether big group or small group or personalized have a photographer that will tail you at the sites and take pictures then pester you on buying it. Don't fall for it! they will charge you 350 HKD if you are naive! now if you are good in haggling, you can bring the price to just 100 HKD. still i would not reccomend buying it ok.

Unique Suggestions: don't let them take pictures of you or don't buy those overpriced plates.

Fun Alternatives: none, just ignore them

victim

• tangymp's Profile Photo

Junk

by tangymp Written Dec 12, 2003

I was born and raised in Hong Kong. I've never ever seen a single Junk sailing in the harbour!

Unique Suggestions: Tell me if you saw it!!

Junk, where are you?