Airplane, Hong Kong

Know about this? Rate It!

Me in the J Mini cabin
  • Airplane
  • Airplane
  • cjg1's Profile Photo

Qantas to Hong Kong

by cjg1 Updated Mar 14, 2012

Qantas operates an international configured Airbus 330-300 from Perth into Hong Kong. This was our chosen method in to town.

Qantas business class is ok. Although they are upgrading several of the 747s, the A330s still use the angled seats. These are far less than ideal for sleeping although still better than flying overnight in the back of the bus.

Service onboard is better than most people will have you think. They served multiple meals even though it was a short 6.5 hour flight. They also brought around amenity kits and PJs for us. Unfortunately although no fault of the airline it was a very bumpy ride so sleep was not much of an option.

They screens for the Q IFE are about 10” and in the seat back in front of you. Q is a decent enough on demand IFE system with I would guess about 70-100 movies plus tv shows. Of course they also include my favorite airborne app, in flight map.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Cathay Pacific to New York (JFK)

by cjg1 Updated Mar 14, 2012

F seats on CX 777

Our last leg of my 2012 birthday trip was on Cathay Pacific in their new Cirrus business class seats on the 777-300ER. This was my first experience on CX other than in economy so I can not compare to the old Herringbone style seats.

CX fly four round trips to New York’s JFK every day. One of those four options makes a stop in Vancouver. As such, when it comes to easy frequent travel to the area they are a great option. The flight takes about 14.5 hours eastbound and about 16 hours westbound.

Cathay is well known for their excellent non intrusive service. They will not come around and constantly ask if you need anything. You are expected to ring your call bell or go find them if you want something. This is actually very nice once you get used to it. At the beginning of the flight you’re given an amenity kit that contains plane socks, toothbrush and some creams and such as well as a sleep mask. Sadly in business class on Cathay you do not get PJs. Those are reserved for those traveling in first.

You will get two meals on the trip and also a snack in between. These are full meals and come in courses, something that takes a little getting used to on a plane. Food is the one thing most people will say CX lacks on. What I had was ok to good and certainly did the job. I am not a drinker when it comes to being on a plane, so I have missed out on a lot of better options. I just hate to be in a controlled environment and then working to lose control.

The IFE system, called Studio CX is actually one of the better ones I’ve experienced in the air. I still would say Emirates has a better one and I’ve only used their in economy, but this one was nice. Approximately 500+ movies to choose from and I only watched one the whole way home. Most of the flight I had the screen either off as we went through night or on the map. The geek in me just loves flights with an in flight map.

The seat itself was nice enough and fully flat. I do wish I could have gotten a second pillow, but I did not think to ask at the time. I know now they have them for first class passengers so it might have been worth the question. To me though, the seat is a bit narrow. Just like their crowded economy seats. Next time I will definitely look for first availability as those seats are a full 8 or so inches wider. Still better than sitting in the back all night and day of course, but definitely had room for improvement. Liz was much happier with hers though.

• lindyz's Profile Photo

Fly local - Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong

by lindyz Written Jan 7, 2012
    Our plane awaits at Sydney Airport

My experience has usually been that a country's national airline is usually the cheapest and best way to fly to and from that country. And for this trip, that rule was no exception. Cathay Pacific was indeed the cheapest option and we certainly could not complain about the service, and price thats for sure.

• ullfri49's Profile Photo

With Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong

by ullfri49 Updated Apr 21, 2011
    Cathay Pacific Airways- countdown and newspapers

We choosed in 2002 for our trip from Frankfurt via Hong Kong to Jakarta the Cathay Pacific Airways. In remembering a very good service.

The way via Hong Kong is of course some hours longer than the south route - but it is good service, and a very comfortable route over the Eurasian continent, real. No problems good flight cause first over Russia, Kasachstan and Kyrgisia than jump over the hight Central Asia the Pamir or Altai mountains and long time over the great distants in inner China. Only short before in area Guangdong just over the coast area came a little bad weather belt with strong monsum rains, but without trouble while landing at new Hong Kong Airport

The next Destination we took same with Cathay Pacific Airways again to Jakarta over the south China Sea and the great island Kalimantan. So it was very comfortable, and the planned and welcome stop in Hong Kong was for us the best way.-

Here at the photo just the way back from Jakarta to Hong Kong short before takeoff- see it is newspapers hour- but all are Chinese Newspapers - news from home!

• Museum Visits

• muhdhazwan's Profile Photo

Jetstar Asia

by muhdhazwan Updated Apr 4, 2011
    Singapore Changi Airport

When I initially planned to go to HK, I decided to take the full pledged carriers like SIA or Cathay. However, realising the prices at its cheapest is still way too expensive, I decided to try budget airline Jetstar Asia. It costs about SGD250 per person, including taxes.

However, it was booked in April, about 3 months before the actual dates, so I guess to enjoy the best price, we need to book way ahead.

The flight with Jetstar Asia is great, everything went smoothly and importantly on time, although it can be a bit squeezy.

However, if you can afford one of those full carrier, consider booking those for its comfort and food.

• blawatek's Profile Photo

OasisHongKong

by blawatek Updated Apr 4, 2011

OasisHongKong provides daily non-stop flights connecting HKG with London Gatwick and with Vancouver. High standard service on the board of their Boening 747 for a reasonable price makes this airline worth recommendation.

• bonio's Profile Photo

Oasis Hong Kong Airlines

by bonio Updated Apr 4, 2011

Currently (11/07) flying to London Gatwick and Vancouver, planning to increase their network next year. For us, flying from LGW, very good prices, around £100 cheaper than any other we could find. Service and legroom comparable to most others too aboard a modern B747-400.
    Definately use them again.

9ty April '08. Oasis Airlines have stopped flying and have been declared insolvent.

• xuessium's Profile Photo

From Singapore to Hong Kong

by xuessium Updated Apr 4, 2011

SingaporeAirlines

This is one of the busiest sector. Quite a number of airlines fly direct from Singapore to Hong Kong.

The full service airlines:
    Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, China Airlines (of Taiwan), United & Garuda Indonesia.

Budget Airlines:
    Jetstar Asia

The journey takes 3 hours.

• coolpanda87's Profile Photo

Airport Gates

by coolpanda87 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Airport Gates at HK International Airport

Here is a picture of the airport gates at Hong Kong International Airport.

Hong Kong's home airline is Cathay Pacific, one of the most respected & high quality companies in the industry. I always ride Cathy Pacific when I travel to Hong Kong, for no other airline can beat its customer service & comfort. Another airline I would recommend is Singapore Airlines, for their service is excellent & their planes are very new!

With over 80 gates, it does take a long time to reach some of them, especially the ones with high numbers. Therefore, it is best to take the Automated People Mover ( a driverless underground train) to reach your desired gate.

• Neil.G.Lees's Profile Photo

First Class with Cathay all the Way

by Neil.G.Lees Updated Sep 4, 2008
    Birtday lunch CX906

I was flying with Cathay Pacific from Manila to Hong Kong. It was my birthday so it only seemed like a good reason to sit "down front" in CX's new first class cabin.
    The short hop flight is only 1 1/2 hours. The sky staff pulled all stops to make it memorable, not for just the birthday boy but the rest of us stretched out lapping up those new seats. So wide they can fit a whole opera star.
    I got served a stellar roast of lamb nestled snuggly in a garden of roasted vegetables. My choice of English or German mustard? Some grand crux so smooth it floated down passed my ten mile high taste buds.
    The crew gave me warm greetings for my day, a card they all signed and they kept bringing gifts. CX cards, a pen, even a whole box of their signature pralines and a bottle of Cuvee William Deutz Brut 1988.
    Now here is the tip.
    I was just changing planes at Hong Kong to continue to Vancouver.
    The security staff confiscated the champagne.
    Give it away to a passenger who is entering the country.

• Luxury Travel

• dawn_charlotte's Profile Photo

Cebu Pacific piso fare

by dawn_charlotte Written Jun 5, 2008
    waiting for our coffee...

Cebu pacific had this piso fare promo March of 2007, when i heard about this I immidiately run to my boyfriend just to tell him the news, i guess that was around 10pm in the office (since we work during the night) at around 4am we decidied to book to hongkong (w/o existing plans at all) it only costs us 2916php for a roundtrip ticket (MANILA-HK-MANILA). Though the travel tax of 1620php and the terminal fee of 750php is not yet included in the said fare. The fees that i mentioned were paid at the airport while checking in.

• Avoid Hong Kong airline

by Ribot Written May 29, 2008

I'd like to post an advise in order to avoid Honk Kong Airlines.
    The company is small and bad oriented about his fault.
    They have lost my luggege in a single trip and never recovered (never happen
    before in more than half milion of mile in flight).
    After some day I recieved an offer of reimburse of 400 USD that it is the IATA
    basis, but very far from my 1200 Euro of value in the bag (nothing of special,
    only the common cloth for a business trip of 15 days).
    Moreover was a delay of 4 hours in the flight for a tyfon in day before, but
    Dragon air was in perfect time.
    Bad experience, but for future I'll avoid this company

• xaver's Profile Photo

Local transports

by xaver Updated Jan 2, 2008

train station

You can go to Hong Kong from Europe with direct flyghts or you can choose a stop over in Bangkok, Singapohre, Kuala Lumpur.
    I moved with public transports, but a local friend drove me, by the way both tube and ferry are very efficent and cheap to move around.

• Trains

• Phildagr8's Profile Photo

Plan your sleep on the plane

by Phildagr8 Updated Dec 2, 2007

Plan your sleep based on your arrival time, so you can either be ready for bed or ready to start your day, and you'll get over the jet lag much faster! To do this most efficiently, know all the stops the plane will make. My October flight from NYC to Hong Kong stopped in Vancouver on the way, and we were here for almost an hour while passengers either got on or off. I was sleeping and the brief stop woke me up briefly, but no big deal. My Oct. flight back to the US did not include a stop in Vancouver.

But, on the way to NYC (JFK) from Hong Kong during my trip in November, my plane stopped here and the new Homeland Security "law" made all the passengers wake up & "de-plane" (get off the plane). When I learned it was for a security sweep, I was fine with it, but I had planned my "sleeping hours" such that it didn't include a plan for waking up when we landed, and my itinerary didn't say anything about landing in Vancouver.

TIP: Make sure you ASK if there are any stops on the way for any flight.

• Marpessa's Profile Photo

Cathay Pacific

by Marpessa Written Sep 19, 2007

Onboard Cathay Pacific

To get to Hong Kong (and afterwards to London - so all up about 24 hrs of flying) my friends and I flew with Cathay Pacific.

I have previously flown long distances with Singapore and Malaysia. I prefer Singapore airlines, but I found Cathay Pacific a really good airline to travel with as well. The seating in economy was really good (very important to me that they don't try to squeeze in too many seats), the seating was: 2-aisle-4-aisle-2.

Service on the flight was really good. Although we left Melbourne at 7.40am and got into Hong Kong at 3pm and there was a time period of about 4 hrs where no food was served, and if I hadn't brought some snacks with me I would have been quite hungry (drinks were brought around regularly). The food available on the plane was very good though and had a nice variety. Special diets are catered for, but you have to arrange that in advance with the airline or your travel agent.

The entertainment on the flight was great. My friends and I had fun challenging each other at the trivia game (anyone on the flight can join in). The music selection catered to all genres and a lot of regions of the world. The film/TV/documentaries available was also enjoyable, for adults, teenagers and kids alike. And also one of my favourite channels to check out is the one where it shows you where you are flying over and how long until your destination. :)

Oh! Also, if you can manage it, try to get a window seat. The view you see as you come in over Hong Kong is unbelievable - one that shouldn't be missed!

So if you are travelling to Hong Kong, I would recommend flying with Cathay Pacific. More information can be found on their website below.

• Study Abroad