Airplane, Hong Kong

Know about this? Rate It!

plane
    counter
    plane
  • Avoid Hong Kong airline

by Ribot Written May 29, 2008

I'd like to post an advise in order to avoid Honk Kong Airlines.
    The company is small and bad oriented about his fault.
    They have lost my luggege in a single trip and never recovered (never happen
    before in more than half milion of mile in flight).
    After some day I recieved an offer of reimburse of 400 USD that it is the IATA
    basis, but very far from my 1200 Euro of value in the bag (nothing of special,
    only the common cloth for a business trip of 15 days).
    Moreover was a delay of 4 hours in the flight for a tyfon in day before, but
    Dragon air was in perfect time.
    Bad experience, but for future I'll avoid this company

• xaver's Profile Photo

Local transports

by xaver Updated Jan 2, 2008

You can go to Hong Kong from Europe with direct flyghts or you can choose a stop over in Bangkok, Singapohre, Kuala Lumpur.
    I moved with public transports, but a local friend drove me, by the way both tube and ferry are very efficent and cheap to move around.

train station
    • Trains

• Phildagr8's Profile Photo

Plan your sleep on the plane

by Phildagr8 Updated Dec 2, 2007

Plan your sleep based on your arrival time, so you can either be ready for bed or ready to start your day, and you'll get over the jet lag much faster! To do this most efficiently, know all the stops the plane will make. My October flight from NYC to Hong Kong stopped in Vancouver on the way, and we were here for almost an hour while passengers either got on or off. I was sleeping and the brief stop woke me up briefly, but no big deal. My Oct. flight back to the US did not include a stop in Vancouver.

But, on the way to NYC (JFK) from Hong Kong during my trip in November, my plane stopped here and the new Homeland Security "law" made all the passengers wake up & "de-plane" (get off the plane). When I learned it was for a security sweep, I was fine with it, but I had planned my "sleeping hours" such that it didn't include a plan for waking up when we landed, and my itinerary didn't say anything about landing in Vancouver.

TIP: Make sure you ASK if there are any stops on the way for any flight.

• Marpessa's Profile Photo

Cathay Pacific

by Marpessa Written Sep 19, 2007

To get to Hong Kong (and afterwards to London - so all up about 24 hrs of flying) my friends and I flew with Cathay Pacific.

I have previously flown long distances with Singapore and Malaysia. I prefer Singapore airlines, but I found Cathay Pacific a really good airline to travel with as well. The seating in economy was really good (very important to me that they don't try to squeeze in too many seats), the seating was: 2-aisle-4-aisle-2.

Service on the flight was really good. Although we left Melbourne at 7.40am and got into Hong Kong at 3pm and there was a time period of about 4 hrs where no food was served, and if I hadn't brought some snacks with me I would have been quite hungry (drinks were brought around regularly). The food available on the plane was very good though and had a nice variety. Special diets are catered for, but you have to arrange that in advance with the airline or your travel agent.

The entertainment on the flight was great. My friends and I had fun challenging each other at the trivia game (anyone on the flight can join in). The music selection catered to all genres and a lot of regions of the world. The film/TV/documentaries available was also enjoyable, for adults, teenagers and kids alike. And also one of my favourite channels to check out is the one where it shows you where you are flying over and how long until your destination. :)

Oh! Also, if you can manage it, try to get a window seat. The view you see as you come in over Hong Kong is unbelievable - one that shouldn't be missed!

So if you are travelling to Hong Kong, I would recommend flying with Cathay Pacific. More information can be found on their website below.

Onboard Cathay Pacific Taking off from Hong Kong Flying over Hong Kong
    • Study Abroad

• bpacker's Profile Photo

Hong Kong to Siem Reap

by bpacker Updated Aug 15, 2007

I know this tip sounds kinda odd but someone asked me how to fly direct from HK to Siem Reap, the home of Angkor Wat, so here it is:

There's no luxury 'budget' flight ( Silkair) here to Cambodia so take Siem Reap Airways. Yes, it's the silly looking plane you see in the photo. Even though Cambodia is a land-locked country, pretty fish and coral decorate the plane.

There's four weekly scheduled flights connecting Hong Kong and Siem Reap - Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays.

HK->SR
    5:15pm

SR->HK
    10:00am

Return flights from Siem Reap will fly via Phnom Penh so it takes a little longer. You can book your air tickets from the nifty little site below.

SR Airways, Cambodia

• ZiOOlek's Profile Photo

Hong Kong Internationl Airport

by ZiOOlek Updated Feb 19, 2007

Hong Kong Airport is the best I have ever been! It is even a pleasure to sit and relax on very comfortable chairs. Clouds in Hong Kong are unique and you can watch them from these seats! There are some computers in shops or just in halls and you can use Internet for free there.

inside

• lonelywanderer's Profile Photo

New budget airline from Hong Kong to London

by lonelywanderer Updated Dec 3, 2006

Great stuff, I booked on the OasisHK Airline inaugural flight from HK to London on 25 October. Alas, as fate would have it, they didn't manage to fly that day. Something about no permission from the Russians. We only got the permission to go the next day. But never mind, the airline put us up at a nice hotel near the airport with full meals and 1 x paid IDD call to UK + champagne + Haagen Daz ice-cream + all free snacks onboard + yeah more ... a return airticket for next trip. Great bargain for a HK$1000 one-way HK to London yeah ! Oh, there was also a free gift of model plane when I checked in on the launch date.

Aircraft pretty comfortable with personal tv + entertainment. There are 2 hot meals served free onboard but all other snacks/drinks are to be purchased. (note : Size of meals are quite small.) Btw, they have Business Class too - all meals + drinks included. Good + comfortable seats with double-deck cabin as well.

Arrival airport in London is Gatwick - hassle-free immigration + customs clearance because they have less airlines there unlike Heathrow Airport.

Highly recommended if you are getting home from Asia.

Tip : try to get yourself on any inaugural flights - I hear there is another one on China Eastern from Shanghai to New York this Dec '06!

• ZENDER's Profile Photo

Fly to Hong Kong by Cathay Pacific..

by ZENDER Written Mar 12, 2006

It is always nice to fly into Hong Kong by its own national carrier, Cathay Pacific. Long a rival of Singapore Airlines, it was a pleasure to finally being able to taste and see how good the carrier to Hong Kong is...

A Great Way to Start Our Hong Kong Vacation!

• chankahon's Profile Photo

The Asia Hub for Aviation

by chankahon Updated Jul 30, 2005

Do not argue with me on the service HKIA is providing--as the winner of Skytrax's Airport of the Year for five years in a row, the ultra-modern airport is super efficient, easy to navigate and a paradise of cuisine and great shops.
    And HKIA offers excellent international flight schedules too. Flights to major cities in Asia, Europe, North America, Oceania and even Africa are frequent, offered by the local Cathay Pacific and dozens of foreign airlines. And no doubt, there are countless flights flying to mainland China and Taiwan every day.

• jlee008's Profile Photo

Chep Lap Kok (Hong Kong International) Airport

by jlee008 Written Nov 16, 2004

When you book your flight to Kong Kong, you will fly into Hong Kong International Airport. Once known as Kai Tak International Airport, the airport was originally located in the city. It's new location (now named Chep Lap Kok) on Lantau Island does not offer the stunning urban views, however, it is easy to get in and out of the airport. (See my tip on "Airport Transfers" to get more detail).

I found that it is much much more inexpensive to book your flight through a consolidator or a travel agent. They usually offer you the best prices. I saved about $400 on my flight by doing this. Unfortunately, the flights sometimes involve more than one transfer depending on where you are flying from because of the cities that are sort of designated as the major Asian gateway cities. It's best to really shop around if you are serious about going.

Try these sites for flights:

www.airfarediscount.com/
    www.airlineconsolidator.com/
    www.bestdiscountfares.com/

• stonefree's Profile Photo

Hong Kong International Airport

by stonefree Updated Oct 18, 2004

Post Kai Tak Airport, this is well established with a clean, modern, rational institution in a site that is wide open but a bit too far from the centre of the town.

You don't have to be worry about anything, what that you would have to in the era of Kai Tak, but about money. There are shops everywhere in here.

HKAirport

• herzog63's Profile Photo

HKG - TPI - Seoul - Anch - Ny Return Part 2

by herzog63 Written Jun 16, 2004

So here I am flying all the way to New York with just a few dollars to my name!! When I arrived I tried booking my flight straight back to Anchorage but there wasn't another flight until the next day. I had to come up with a game plan. I remembered that my cousin's cousin lived in New York City. So just by chance I looked in the Huge phone book not know what burrough she lived in and I found her name. I called the number and it was her!! WoW!! I told her my predicament and she gave me instructions of how to take the train and bus and walk to get to her place and after a couple of hours I made it from the airport to her apartment!! She lent me $100 (which I paid back right after I returned to Alaska) so I could have some spending money and eat. I got some good sleep and wandered around the neighborhood near her apartment the next day. She had to work that day so I just relaxed and Thanked her and made my way back to the Airport for my flight back to Anchorage. What a weird couple of days that ended up being. I used up my ticket for the Anchorage-New York so I wouldn't be able to return in the fall for free. But I did get to use the return part of my ticket to get back to the Philippines in the fall.
    It was on Korean Airlines. When I had my stopover in Seoul I approached the reservations desk to ask if it was possible to change my ticket and fly directly to Manila instead of Hong Kong then on to Manila. I was so lucky...the guy came back a short time later with a brand new ticket for me...No Charge!! I could fly directly on to Manila!! Sure save me a lot of time and money. Ever since then I have been a big believer in Korean Airlines. I have always been treated quite well by them.

• herzog63's Profile Photo

HKG - TPI - Seoul - Anch - Ny Return Part 1

by herzog63 Updated Jun 16, 2004

I had originally bought a one way ticket from Anchorage Alaska to Manila US$500. This was a very tough to do..I had to show proof of finances etc.... they sure looked at me strange when I went to the travel agency wanting to buy a one-way ticket to the Philippines....."Are you skipping out of the country"? hahaha....Well then from Manila I bought another one-way ticket to Hong Kong US$130...I did this whole 7 month trip without really planning anything so that's why these one-way tickets were purchased. (So for you people that like making plans you can save youself some money) While in Hong Kong I went to a student travel agency that I had heard about through another traveler. I priced tickets going to all kinds of places....I ended up purchasing a Hong Kong - Taipei - Seoul - Anchorage - New York - Anchorage - Seoul - Taipei - Hong Kong ticket for US$774. I was so happy as I could fly back to Alaska and spend the summer there then in the fall fly to Maine and visit my family without having to purchase another ticket. Well, that fell to pieces as it was announced after I got on the plane that the plane would not be stopping in Anchorage as planned it was flying all the way to New York!!! It sure was strange for me to hear that!! I was the only one that wanted to get off the plane in Anchorage!! haha To this day I don't know how that happened!! Even the Departure board stated that the flight went to Anchorage!!
    To be continued.............

• devmicha's Profile Photo

From Taiwan

by devmicha Written Apr 12, 2004

If you are going from Taipei to HK I stronlgly suggest you buy a Transportation Accomadation Package through EVA Air / Evergreen Travel. You can stay in a 4star hotel and travel the nicest economy class I have ever had the pleasure to sit through.
    The flight is one hour and the hotels are great!! The packages are very inexpensive!

• kiwigal_1's Profile Photo

Cathay Pacific Airlines

by kiwigal_1 Updated Mar 30, 2004

Hong Kong has an excellent airline called Cathay Pacific!

They fly to and from major destinations all over the world. I have flown with Cathay many times and joined their Asia Milesfrequent flyer program. Check out the website for more details.

Cathay Pacific taking off from Chep Lap Kok