Kai Tak Airport, Hong Kong

Know about this? Rate It!

by angiebabe
    by davidjo
    by davidjo
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

LUGGAGE & CONNECTING FLIGHTS AT THE AIRPORT

by davidjo Written Jul 10, 2015

It is recommended that you need a minimum time of one hour to transfer from one flight to another so I was extremely nervous when I had the minimum time to make my own transfer. The plane landed exactly on time at 13.25 and although I was seated towards the rear I managed to deplane (a word I don't like) by 13.37. There was a board with all the names of the passengers who were transferring flights just after the arrival gate, so after identifying myself a member of the airport staff accompanied me through security 2here they screened my hand carry and escorted me to the departure gate. I arrived there at 13.49, exactly 24 minutes after landing, but my bags were checked through to my final destination. Although it worked out fine for me I would never cut it so close again as it is not worth the days of worrying whether the plane will be late and I miss the flight.
    Both flights were with the same ticket and when checking in at Heathrow I was told if the plane arrived late they would be responsible for my onward flight, but if the plane arrived on time and I missed my connection it would be my responsibility.

ADDITIONAL NOTE REGARDING BAGGAGE
    Although I made my connection and arrived in Manila, my check in luggage did not, so I and a few other passengers had to wait in Manila for our luggage to arrive on a flight two hours later.
    Therefore consider this when booking your flights and if your bags are not going straight through to your final destination you would need up to two hours minimum as the gate for your onward flight will close twenty minutes before departure.

• stonefree's Profile Photo

Kai Tak Airport

by stonefree Updated Aug 29, 2006

I want to give a tribute to the most exciting toutchdown ever that was called "Hong Kong Approach"...
    That was enough a reason for going to HK!

Search on the web with the phrases "Hong Kong Approach" or "Kowloon Approach" to vitually experience the thrill.

I had one in 1989 and the airport was closed in 1998.

• herzog63's Profile Photo

Flying in to Hong Kong

by herzog63 Written Oct 21, 2003

I remember my fight into Hong Kong and landing at Kai Tak International Airport. I had a window seat and it sure seemed like we were flying through the city with the tall buildings seemingly touchable as we came in for our landing. I'm not sure if Kai Tek is still used much as there is a new International Airport now on Lantau Island. Kai Tek is an easy bus ride to Kowloon if that is where you want to go.

Hong Kong

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo

The Approach

by frankcanfly Updated Apr 9, 2003

If you've ever flown into the old Hong Kong airport, you understand the scary 'Hong Kong Curve' approach.

It is the reason that buildings on Kowloon were not allowed to reach more than 16 stories in the air.

internet photo

• Pavlik_NL's Profile Photo

Adventurous KaiTak, a spectacular entrance

by Pavlik_NL Updated Dec 31, 2002

The spectacular landings on Kay Tak airport sadly enough belong to the past. Here pilots even needed to take a special exam before having a permit to fly between the skyscratchers around the airport (you can actually see what people are doing in their appartments, which can lead to surprises).
    Hong Kong has excellent public transport, although rather full. Touroperators have an wide range of siteseeingtours, which are recommendable to do as first-time-visitors. Hereby one can count the cruises through harbor, bay and Aberdeen (traditional floating market). There is also a ferry going between Kowloon and Hong kong island. It guarantees perfect views from the water.

Roundtrip along the bay by boat

• feline01's Profile Photo

Too bad they closed the old...

by feline01 Written Aug 26, 2002

Too bad they closed the old airport. Talk about a terrifying landing. We're coming in on approach and there's water to the left and people's laundry hanging on their balcony's on the right. I could actually look into the flats and see people sitting down. It was some angle.

• CliffClaven's Profile Photo

Flying into Hong Kong

by CliffClaven Written Aug 24, 2002

Hong Kong's new airport is open, and you can no longer enjoy the experience of dropping onto Kai Tak's single runway jutting out into the harbour. It didn't help that there was a hill at the other end. You knew what flying was all about when some pilot, trained on fighters, banked his 747 heavy on to its side and thudded down on the runway. If you kept your eyes open, you could catch glimpses of life in the high-rise apartments: mothers bathing their babies or stir-frying lunch, fathers stretching in their vest or playing mah-jong with the neighbours.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

Website for destinations from HK airport

by angiebabe Updated Jan 25, 2015

Transportation in Hong Kong is excellent - very efficient and very conveniently covering for getting around anywhere in HK whether train, bus, tram or ferry.

• Singles
    • Trains

• deeper_blue's Profile Photo

HK Airport

by deeper_blue Written Jul 16, 2008

Hong Kong airport is one of the most spacious and architecturaly rich airports in the world.
    It serves as a regional hub and a major international airport.

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo

Building Tour

by frankcanfly Updated Sep 18, 2002

.........with the new airport completed on reclaimed land, the approaches to the New Hong Kong airport are much safer now...

internet photo