Getting Around Hong Kong

Big Buddha is watching you....
    by kbtigger
    On the Wisdom Path
    by kbtigger
  • map showing where the new cruise terminal is
    map showing where the new cruise...
    by pepemorris11

Most Viewed Transportation in Hong Kong

• kbtigger's Profile Photo

Ngong Ping Cable Car

by kbtigger Written Mar 9, 2014

If you are going to Ngong Ping to see the Giant Buddha, I suggest you take the local bus to get there, rather than taking the cable car. You can take the cable car back down for the aerial view. Many international flights arrive early in the morning, so catching the 23 bus from Tung Chung Terminus scheduled to arrive before opening time (9am weekends, 10 am weekdays) allows you to walk around the lovely village and Wisdom Path before the crowds arrive. I also think that viewing the Giant Buddha for the first time from the ground increases the impact. I took the Ngong Ping cable car for the return trip, and I am so glad that my first view of the Buddha was not from overhead. The bus trip is lovely in and of itself.

Big Buddha is watching you.... On the Wisdom Path

• traveldave's Profile Photo

Hong Kong International Airport

by traveldave Updated Jan 10, 2014

The new Hong Kong International Airport (HKG) was constructed at Chek Lap Kok on land reclaimed from the sea. The airport is quickly becoming the primary regional hub for Southeast Asia, and has connections to most major cities in Asia, Europe, and North America. The terminal is the largest in the world, and is designed to process 35,000,000 passengers annually.

Airlines serving Hong Kong International Airport: Aeroflot-Russian Airlines, Air Astana, Air Canada, Air China, Air France, Air Hong Kong, Air Mauritius, Air New Zealand, Air Niugini, Air Pacific, Air Seychelles, AirAsia, Airphil Express, All Nippon Airways, American Airlines, Asiana Airlines, Bangkok Airways, BB Airways, Biman Bangladesh Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific Airways, Cebu Pacific Air, China Airlines, China Eastern Airlines, China Southern Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Dragonair, Eastar Jet, El Al Israel Airlines, Emirates, Ethiopian Airlines, EVA Air, Finnair, Garuda Indonesia, Hong Kong Airlines, Hong Kong Express Airways, Interjet, Japan Airlines, Jeju Air, Jet Airways, Jetstar Asia Airways, Juneyao Airlines, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, Kenya Airways, Kingfisher Airlines, Korean Air, Lion Air, Lufthansa German Airlines, Malaysia Airlines, Mandala Airlines, Mandarin Airlines, Mega Maldives Airlines, Miat Mongolian Airlines, Orient-Thai Airways, Pakistan International Airlines, Palau Airways, Peach, Philippine Airlines, Philippine Airlines Express, QANTAS Airways, Qatar Airways, Royal Brunei Airlines, Royal Jordanian Airlines, Saudi Arabian Airlines, Scoot, Shanghai Airlines, Shenzhen Airlines, Singapore Airlines, South African Airways, Spring Airlines, SriLankan Airlines, Swiss International Air Lines, S7 Airlines, TAP Air Portugal, Thai AirAsia, Thai Airways International, Tiger Airways, Turkish Airlines, United Airlines, US Airways, Vietnam Airlines, Virgin Atlantic Airways, and Xiamen Airlines.

• swissfondue's Profile Photo

The Tsing Ma Bridge

by swissfondue Updated Dec 17, 2013

I've included this striking Bridge in the transportation section as it plays a pivotal role in getting tourists and locals to and from the bright lights of Victoria Harbour in Hong Hong. Whether you are travelling by bus, taxi, limousine or train you will traverse the Tsing Ma Bridge onroute to the centre as it carries road and rail traffic between the city and Chek Lap Kok Airport.

Tsing Ma Bridge is over 2kms in length and is certainly an imposing sight as well as being a vital link between Lantau Island and the rest of Hong Kong.

• cal6060's Profile Photo

Explore Lantau Island by Public Transportations

by cal6060 Updated Oct 27, 2013

Lantau Island is the largest outlying island in Hong Kong. It is being famous of Tian Tan Buddha or the Big Buddha in the center hill of the island. I do find that this is the other beautiful sides of Hong Kong, where you can get closer to the nature and to see the cultural lifestyle of the fishing village of Tai-O. Don't come here with the tour bus! You will see much more by using the public transportation including the MTR to Tung Chung Station, The Cable Car to Ngong Ping, Buses within Lantau Island, Boat to/from Hong Kong or other islands, and on foot hiking one of the Lantau Trails.

Easy Day on Lantau Island :
    (Tung Chung MTR-->The Big Buddha --> Tai-O --> Tung Chung MTR)

1) You take the MTR to Tung Chung Station.
    2) Take the Np360 cable car to The Big Buddha.
    3) The Big Buddha & Wisdom Path
    4) Take Bus# 21 from Ngong Ping (In the Village near The Big Buddha) to Tai-O.
    5) Visiting Tai-O
    - The fishing Village
    - Take a cruise to see red dolphin
    - Walk to Tai-O Heritage Hotel
    6) Take Bus# 11 from Tai-O Village to Tung Chung
    7) Tung Chung
    - Citigate Factory Outlets
    8) Take MTR back to Hong Kong

Adventure Day on Lantau Island
    HK Pier 6 --> Peng Chau --> Mui Wo Ferry Terminal --> Bus#2 --> Pak Kung Au --> 4.5Km trail (2.3 hrs) --> Ngong Ping --> Bus#21 --> Tai O --> Bus #11 --> Tung Chung Station.

* I have not done the adventure trail, but do it one day!

Tung Chung MTR Station Buying cable car ticket to Lantau Island Trail to Lantau Peak Bus 21- Ngong Ping to Tai-O Cable Car Station & Bus Stops at Tung Chung

• cal6060's Profile Photo

Cable Car: Tung Chung to Ngong Ping, Lantau Island

by cal6060 Updated Oct 26, 2013

I believe taking the cable car from Tung Chung Station to Ngong Ping is one of the most famous mode of transportations or attractions in Hong Kong. It is not only convenience to get you to see the big Buddha but the views are just marvelous. You will be able to see green mountains, ocean bay, the sea scape, and etc.

Check out the latest rate here!

Other than taking the Cable Car to See the big Buddha, you can also walk on the trail between Tung Chung to Ngong Ping. The 3-hours hike will get you to see the nature and beautiful views of Lantau Island.

The Cable Car to Ngong Ping, Lantau Island The Cable Car to Ngong Ping, Lantau Island The Cable Car to Ngong Ping, Lantau Island Walking trail to Ngong Ping, Lantau Island Walking trail to Ngong Ping, Lantau Island

• asianbelle's Profile Photo

360 Degrees

by asianbelle Written Mar 3, 2013

In one of the high peaks of Lantau Island sits the Giant Buddha. This place can be reached via bus or cab or even by trekking. However, most tourists would go via the cable car.

It was my longest cable car ride of about 25 minutes, spanning a length of 5.7 kms. and 8 towers. The ride offers a panoramic view of valleys, harbours, and HK International Airport. Going into the last 2 towers, the image of the Buddha can already be seen.

Ngong Ping Cable Car
    • Adventure Travel

• swissfondue's Profile Photo

CENTRAL Elevated Walkway

by swissfondue Updated Jan 14, 2013

Central can be a wonderful area to explore on foot but is some distance from the Star ferry terminal. Once you step off the ferry it is almost impossible to get to Des Voeux Road at street level. For this reason the Central Elevated Walkway has been built to enhance pedestrian access connecting the Star Ferry Terminal with Connaught Road and other popular locations throughout Central.

You can also access the following places via the Elevated Walkway:

The General Post Office, Landmark Shopping Centre, Prince's Building, Exchange Square Bus Terminus, Central Station, Main Branch of the Hang Seng Bank, Mid-Levels Escalator and 2 IFC Shopping Mall.

From inside the 2IFC Shopping Mall there are walkways to the Shun Tak Centre where the Hong Kong-Macau Ferry Terminal and the MTR Sheung Wan Station are located.

MTR Hong Kong Station (Airport Express) can be accessed from inside the 2IFC Shopping Mall or alternatively from Central Pier number 3.

• jessgotdestiny's Profile Photo

The City Tour Experience

by jessgotdestiny Written Dec 19, 2012

Overall, I have to say I didn’t enjoy the supposedly free city tour offered by our travel agency. Probably because we have already been to the places we went to the day before. Or because of the required tip policy which was my first encounter. Should it be called a tip, then we shouldn’t be mandated to pay 50HKD each! I have to say I may go a little bit frank with this experience.

Our first stop was at an overview of the city, somewhere near The Peak . Not the part where the Madame Tussauds and Peak Galleria was located, though. Somewhere lower.

Next, we went again to the Avenue of Stars . At least I was able to check the place on daytime. I finally found Michelle Yeoh’s imprint. It was hidden under a handrail. Meanwhile, a friendly-looking guy who happen to go with our tour guide offered to take pictures of us along the bay with our camera and after which, with his SLR. I was really hesitant to have a solo picture but he was really acting so friendly, insisting that he wanted me to have a solo (after one family picture and two solo pics of my sisters). His friendliness was driving me nuts so finally I agreed. I was really suspicious of this unusual behavior.

We were all Filipinos on the city tour bus that morning. Our guide talked on a lot of things while the bus was moving. I have to admit we weren’t bit attentive to him. Either we missed a point he said or he was talking too fast and we weren’t familiar to some accented words he said.

We arrived at a fishing village where there is a Jumbo Floating Restaurant on the river. The area consists mostly of sampan boats on water. Our guide mentioned that Hong Kong started as a fishing village. Most of its original inhabitants were fishermen so the place must be attributed as part of the HK’s history and culture. A few of us stepped in a fishing boat that will take us around the area, driven by an old woman in eye shades. The only highlight of the boat ride was that we were able to have a closer view of the floating restaurant and get a nice picture. We were not to go inside the restaurant, though. Other than that, we were only going around the river and looking around other fishing boats. The place looked so lonely and the water was murky. The old woman wasn’t talking about history or culture, either. We were only looking around.

Then, before she is to take us back to our guide who’s waiting, she stopped the boat in the middle of the water. If I remembered her words correctly, this is what she said:

Fif-teh!
    (everyone started to become silent)

Five zeh-roh!
    (dead silence)

Then someone muttered, “Na-dale tayo ah!”

Everybody in the boat, including us looked so puzzled. Why weren’t we told there is a fare of 50HKD (per person) for this short boat ride? Have we been informed the moment we stepped in, we wouldn’t have bothered taking the ride then.

We were left with no choice but to shed our 50HKD fare per person to the woman, who took us back to land when everybody else in the boat has paid. We were still left doubting whether she has fooled us or something.

On the way to our last stop, our tour guide asked us for a tip of 50HKD each for the city tour. He said the tip wasn’t only for him but will be equally shared with the driver and the agency office. Though he didn’t say it directly, he was stressing that the tip was mandatory and started collecting from every person on the bus. I was shocked upon hearing the mandatory tip thing. Then it shouldn’t be called a tip at all! And why are we asked to pay unexpectedly at the end of the tour on the day itself? There is a tendency that we will be cut short of our pocket money, if this is the case. And suppose someone has nothing to pay for their mandatory tip? What are they going to do?

I felt bad for the rest of the tour after the fifty-boat-ride and Mandatory Tip Experience. I bet some of our companions were too. Our last stop was at a Jewelry Factory . We didn’t look around much.

After the jewelry factory, we are asked to transfer to another bus that is heading for Disneyland. While walking our way to the other bus, we were approached by the friendly-looking guy who took pictures of us earlier at the Avenue of Stars. He had with him a big bag and called our attention to him. Guess what’s inside his bag? He took out four small plates that bear the words Hong Kong on the borders with our pictures cut out and pasted at the center. 120HKD for each plate. I have enough of this nuisance. I was now ignoring him. My mom, however took the plates and paid for all four since the guy demanded we take it. From my perspective, the shots he took were nothing different from the shots we have on our digicams. I have even better photos than his. And the pictures cut out in circles and pasted? Even a first-grader could do that!

I was exhausted of the different money schemes I encountered during the city tour. Upon boarding the bus that will take us to Disneyland, the tour guide called in to the tourists who were previously boarded. (Maybe they’re from the city tour as well.)

Are you happy with the tour?
    (silence)

Happy?
    (I could hear some say ‘yeah’)

If you’re happy, now it’s time to make me happy.
    (laughs a little)

Then began the 50HKD mandatory tip explanation.

I dozed off and ignored the guide and the people’s reactions which we similarly have earlier. We kind of have a long trip to Disneyland.

ADDITIONAL NOTES
    I read later that there is such thing as International Tip Etiquette that varies from country to country and reading the Guide to Tipping Around the World might probably help the traveler in having an idea to such different customs.

A tip (also called a gratuity) is a payment made to certain service sector workers in addition to the advertised price of the transaction. The amount of a tip is typically calculated as a percentage of the transaction value before applicable taxes.[1] Such payments and their size are a matter of social custom. Tipping varies among cultures and by service industry. Though by definition a tip is never legally required, and its amount is at the discretion of the patron being served, in some circumstances failing to give an adequate tip when one is expected may be considered very miserly, a violation of etiquette, or unethical. In some other cultures or situations, giving a tip is not expected and offering one would be considered condescending or demeaning. In some circumstances (such as tipping government workers), tipping is illegal.[citation needed].

Source: Tip - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Meanwhile, I chanced upon a travel forum site where I have read posts made by people which are similar to the sentiments I narrated earlier. Well, at least, I was able to gain insight from this experience.

Grand Floating Restaurant - we viewed only Finally found Michelle Yeoh's hand imprint River viewing Sampan boats

• Aidy_p's Profile Photo

Disneyland Train

by Aidy_p Updated Dec 10, 2011

In a make believe world, the trains running from Disneyland to Sunny Bay has to have that make believe feel too.

There are bronze statues of disney characters, windows with mickey mouse ears and even the handles are mickey mouse-like. My children's faces truly light up whenever they take a ride in the train. Also, when outside's dark, they would still peer out to see if they could catch sight of something interesting.

So enjoy the ride out to Sunny Bay.

Everything Mickey

• traveldave's Profile Photo

The Star Ferry

by traveldave Updated May 13, 2011

A fun and convenient way to get across Victoria Harbour between Hong Kong Island and Kowloon is to take the Star Ferry. The green-and-white ferries have been transporting passengers across the harbor since 1888. For only a couple of Hong Kong dollars to ride on the upper deck, it is one of the best bargains in Hong Kong. The view of the harbor and Hong Kong Island on the trip across is spectacular.

The Star Ferry is operated by the Star Ferry Company. It was founded as the Kowloon Ferry Company in 1888 by Parsee merchant Dorabjee Naorojee Mithaiwala, who purchased a vessel that had been used to transport passengers across the harbor on an irregular basis since the mid-1870s. Several additional ferries were added to the fleet within the next few years. The company's name was changed to the Star Ferry Company in 1898 when Mithaiwala retired to India. The new name was inspired by Alfred Lord Tennyson's poem, Crossing the Bar, in which the first line reads "Sunset and evening star, and one clear call for me".

The Star Ferry currently has a fleet of 12 diesel-electric ferries that operate on two routes across Victoria Harbour between Hong Kong Island and Kowloon. The main route is between Central and Tsim Sah Tsui, and the second route is between Wanchai and Tsim Sha Tsui.

Despite the fact that a tunnel connects Hong Kong Island and Kowloon, over 70,000 passengers take the ferry across the harbor on a daily basis, which amounts to over 26,000,000 per year.

• gloopgloop's Profile Photo

Light Rail Transit (LRT)

by gloopgloop Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Light Rail is a streetcar system that provides transit service in and between the New Territories towns of Tuen Mun and Yuen Long.

The system relies on an open-fare system and does not use payment turnstiles. Riders using Octopus cards must place their card over the fare box at the Light Rail stop before getting on the streetcar. When they get off the streetcar, they must put the card over the fare box again to deduct the fare. Alternatively, fare tickets can be purchased from machines located at each stop. Ticket inspectors inspect train tickets and Octopus cards along the route and at the stops.

The Light Rail has become a line for the newly opened West Rail trains. Commuters can travel for free on the Light Rail if they transfer to the West Rail or vice versa.

A Light Rail car

• yellowbell's Profile Photo

Around Kowloon and into Shenzhen

by yellowbell Updated Apr 4, 2011

If you want to go to Shenzhen (gateway to China from HK/Kowloon), take the Kowloon Canton Railway (KCR) until Lo Wu station, where the immigration office is. The journey takes an hour.

The MTR is connected to KCR via Kowloon Tong (East Rail/Tsim Sha Tsui) station. There's a big and posh mall in Kowloon Tong where you can shop and eat in the food court.

The KCR is also being used by tourists who want to visit the New Territories (more greens, less touristy).

Please see the website below for interesting places to visit.

• yellowbell's Profile Photo

Train around HK and Kowloon

by yellowbell Updated Apr 4, 2011

Travelling around Hongkong and Kowloon, I always use the MTR. It's fast and convenient.

Take the MTR to Central Station - Exit J for the Peak Tram

Take the MTR to Tung Chung Station - if you want to go to Lantau Island to see the Polin Monastery and the Big Buddha. From there, catch bus 23.

• e_boc's Profile Photo

Hong Kong MTR (Metro)

by e_boc Updated Apr 4, 2011

The basic network of the Hong Kong mass transit system was designed in the early 1970's and construction started in 1974. It included three lines, one along the northern shore of Hong Kong island and two crossing Hong Kong harbour to serve Kowloon situated on the Chinese mainland. The MTR system was expanded during the 1990's when a new airport was built 30 km west on Lantau Island near the new town of Tung Chung. Airport Express takes 23 minutes from central Hong Kong to the new airport and runs every 10 minutes. An extension of the Kwun Tong Line from Quarry Bay to North Point opened in 2001 to relieve the busy Quarry Bay transfer station.

For more imformation see website below:

• Leah1231's Profile Photo

MTR, Taxi's great!

by Leah1231 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Hong Kongs transport system is fantastic! If you are here for a while, get yourself an MTR card which you can buy at any MTR station. You pay a minimal deposit, then just load money onto them.

They can be used on all buses, MTR's and a lot of mini buses now (might be all minis now, not sure) You can then swipe them over the gates, or on entry to the buses, and it automatically debts the card.

The taxi's are EVERYWHERE! flag one down and most drivers have enough English to get you there. Show him on the map if he's not sure. They are cheap say a trip from Wan Chai to Central, might cost you US$5 HK$40) on average.

We always use a local company to pick us up and take us to and from the airport on our flights out (see website below) this is because we are a family of four and often have a lot of luggage, and we find it cheaper and more convenient that a taxi or MTR, bus etc. ( HK$420 from airport to say Causeway bay - you can book online) Single travellers may find the HK$100 ish MTR to central more viable, but then you may need a cab on from there.

Hong Kong Hotels

Hotel Jen Hong Kong
Latest: Jun 28, 2014
B P International
Latest: Jul 4, 2014
Ibis Century Hotel (Hongkong North Point)
Dorsett Far East Hotel
home2home - Abeo
Ah Shan Hostel
Latest: Jun 25, 2014

Instant Answers: Hong Kong

Comments

Hong Kong Transportation

Reviews and photos of Hong Kong transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Hong Kong sightseeing.
Map of Hong Kong