Shopping, Hong Kong

by vkrieger
    by rmcuesta
    by rmcuesta
  • vkrieger's Profile Photo

Beware of Tea Shop-Did not get what we tasted.

by vkrieger Written Oct 6, 2013

Went to this delightful looking tea shop in Cheung Chau, an island about 50 minutes ferry ride from HK. We sat through a really nice tea tasting and our family of three all agreed, that the tea with gingsing was our favourite so we bought a few bags. At the hotel back in Kowloon, we decided to have some tea and was dissappointed to find that the tea we bought was not the tea we tried (which had a distinct sweet after-taste) but some pedestrian brand that they serve at the dim sum shops. I've attached some pictures. Other than that, the rest of our stay (day trip) in Cheung Chau was okay.

• GohB3's Profile Photo

WARNING BUYER BEWARE!

by GohB3 Written Sep 21, 2013

perfect digitial shop 33A-G/F,James s.Leeansion 33-35 carnarvon Road T.S.T.Kowloon.Hk,when shoping for camera lens or any electronics,have very dishonest salesmen.The incident happened on SEP 8 2013,i asked for canon EF 100mm and EFS 10-2mm lens,another salesperson jumped in why you buy two lens and recommended for others... such dishonest acts really dampen my trust in shopping in Hong Kong.you will never find any bargains for electronics in hong kong and if you do BUYER BEWARE! l wil never visit HongKong again...

• Shopping for Electronics. Buyer beware!

by gmc4174 Updated Jun 15, 2013

When shopping for a camera or any electronics for that matter most of the local electronic stores on Nathan Road have very dishonest salesmen who will milk you of every last cent in your pocket if you allow them to. If you want to make your experience pleasant, make sure you are aware of the approximate retail price before you even enter one of these shops. Never buy any electronics without a price tag labeled on the item. Once you sit down with the salesperson, make sure you inspect the item prior to purchase and be sure that the item you want is in front of you before you hand over your credit card and not the displayed item. Never let these con artist try to sell you an upgrade to the item you bought if you are unaware of the retail price because they will offer you a newly released electronic, and price the item 2-3 times higher over the value of the item. You are better off shopping in a retail store back home in your country or buy online. You will never find any bargains for electronics in Hong Kong and if you do Buyer Beware! I will never visit Hong Kong again because of my unpleasant shopping experience over there.

• Switch selling tact ticks

by ticklafing Written Mar 19, 2013

UNITED POWER AUDIO &PHOTO CO LTD , 342A NATHAN RD YAU MA TEI , KOWLOON , HONG KONG .
    Recently visited Hong Kong and bought a new lens for my camera , agreed a price on a Canon 18-200mm , thought it was good , then another sales man jumped in, asking about my experience and knowledge , then stated that another lens Tamron 18-200mm XR D2 was the better one to have and started to baffle me with information , that i could not check .i have now found out that the lens was half the price i paid for it .

so be aware ! check what you want before you buy for price .

Checked the invoice and it has clearly printed on it , NO REFUNDS . Should of worn my glasses !!!

• Cruise

• Switch selling tact ticks

by ticklafing Updated Mar 19, 2013

I went to buy a Canon 18-200 lens from these people and got it down to a decent price i thought ,£180 english pounds , then another sales man look at it and asked how long i had the camera , to establish my experience with photography , which is about 9 months .he them brought out the tamron 18-200 XR D11 and confused with stuff i had no way of checking out , and managed to get even more cash out of me saying that this is the latest lens and was worth a lot more ,

Shows how much i knew !!!,
    turns out that the XR D111 is the expensive and up to date one ,
    So by then i was already at the airport to come home !!!

But from what i have read on here , i would have not been able to get anything back , as read the invoice which states that they can do as they please ," in a nut shell "
    So just got to take it on the chin , and put down to experience . dont get caught out .

• Cruise

• PERFECT DIGITAL: A trap for tourists

by Uni_baby Written Jan 10, 2013

Everyone, please beware of PERFECT DIGITAL, a camera shop along Nathan Road in Hong Kong. This establishment is so much an expert in the 'BAIT & SWITCH' scheme, that if you step into their shop, they don't see you as a customer but rather, as a PREY that they could victimize. So word of advice, AVOID this establishment, as not doing so would definitely ruin your stay in Hong Kong.

• Business Travel

• Cheated at Wanchai computer centre

by deer12 Written Dec 26, 2012

Hi everyone,

I wish I had read the review posted by genteen on Oct 5, 2012 earlier. I had the same experience buying from Digital Concept Technology Limited, located at Shop 162-163 first floor, Wanchai Computer Centre. They initially offered a reasonable price for a point and shoot camera but after making payment, we discovered that the unit is set only in Chinese language. I had to top up a hefty sum to get the version that offers English language resulting in a more expensive unit. Then they pushed us to add on a spare battery which we discovered later that we were charged triple the actual price!!! What more they very quickly changed our SD card to a lower class 4 version by telling us that they were upgrading the card without additional charges, when we had earlier paid for a higher end card that cost 2 times more than the one they stuffed into the camera!!! AVOID AVOID AVOID this shop - DIGITAL CONCEPT TECHNOLOGY LIMITED SHOP LOCATED AT 162-163 FIRST FLOOR, WANCHAI COMPUTER CENTRE!!! As genteen mentioned in the review, they will fool you with a big smile!!! My worst experience ever in Hong Kong!!!

• Cheated at Wanchai computer centre

by genteen Written Oct 5, 2012

Hi everybody!

I recently went to Wanchai computer centre to buy a Handycam for my mother. After searching and asking for prices, I decided to buy it at "Digital Concept Technology Limited", Shop 162-163, first floor. They gave me a "good price" for the Handycam, so I also bought from them a extra battery and SD card. That was my mistake!!! I thought they will also give me a reasonable price for the battery and SD card... I was soooo wrong!!!!, they charge me triple the real price!!! Now is too late for me and I feel bad and stupid... so, don't make the same mistake, don't buy anything from this shop!!! They will fool you with a big smile!!!!

• Scum

by pitchhill Written Jun 11, 2012

Hong Kong is NOT a good place. Past, future and period. If you're thinking about it, choose some other place to go. Hong Kong vendors are snakes, the Consumer Council members are snakes, the police officers are snakes, there are NO real law enforcement officers in Hong Kong. If you have a problem you will get ***ed, ***ed, ***ed! That's a guarantee.

• zurreal's Profile Photo

PERFECT DIGITAL Store: deceiptful HK Gadget Store

by zurreal Written May 16, 2012

My friends and I went to HK for a vacation, we did enjoy our stay in HK until we decided to shop for Camera Lens & iPad3. The incident happened last MAY 12, 2012. The shop's name was PERFECT DIGITAL STORE located at MIRADOR MANSION at Tsim Sha Tsui, Nathan Road. I asked for the price of NIKKOR LENS 18-200mm, they told me its $2000 HK, and its very cheap that's why i decided to buy it and paid it in cash, before they gave me the item, they had shown me a TAMRON LENS, which is much expensive than the one i wanted and they explained it to me the advantages of the TAMRON Lens and i was convinced, and paid additonal $2000 for the price. on the other hand, my friends were buying an iPAD3, and paid it also in $9400 HK, for the 2 iPAD3. but before they gave the item, the salesman was offering other item like the Acer Tab and the SONY Tab. and they had said the iPAD3 has no good. My friends were also convinced to buy the new items and had paid an additional $600 HK for the balance for the SONY Tab. We had our gadgets and went on to the FERRY Terminal to macau. then at the terminal, they had an internet and i checked on our gadgets and found out they had deceived us and overpriced the gadgets. We went back to the store and told them what we had discovered. they said it was a misunderstanding, they don't want to refund the money, they only exchanged the SONY Tab to an iPAD3, but its still overpriced, they insisted it was the best that they can do. regarding my situation, i wanted the TAMRON Lens in exchange to my original choice NIKKOR Lens, but they refused to give it to and they just gave me a filter and an SD card. We had settled for this because we were in a hurry to go to Macau because we don't want to travel by sea at night. they had all items overpriced and i was furious about this situation. it was a very bad experienced.. and it was also an expensive lesson. i had addressed my concerns to the CONSUMER COUNCIL, and still waiting for their reply. I advise YOU to know your ITEM to buy before going to shop. BEWARE! BE WISE!

• Camera Fraud at Sunshine City in Nathan Rd Kowloon

by syong1956 Updated Jul 23, 2011

Warning to anyone wishing to purchase a camera or lens at Sunshine City shop 2A Ground Floor, 36-44 Nathan Road, Kowloon.

I went to this shop to buy a particular Canon lens which was selling for HK$1000 cheaper than other shops. But the staff pursuaded me to buy a more 'professional' quality Sigma lens. I did not know much about the Sigma lens or how much it costs in other shops. After buying the lens, I found out that the Sigma lens was selling in other shops at one third the price of what I paid! I returned to Sunshine City on the same day to ask for an exchange for the Canon lens which I originally intended to buy. They refused to exchange/refund it claiming that they have already sent away the guarantee. After much arguing they offered me a free cheap wide/macro conversion lens. Not being able to speak their language & for fear of retaliation or being mugged later, I reluctantly accepted the offer. I complained to the HK Consumer Council but there is nothing much they can do to recover my money.

So make sure you know exactly which camera/lens you want to buy and shop around for the price. Dont let the shopkeeper pursuade you to buy some other 'later' model which you have no idea how much it costs. Dont buy especially from Sunshine City. Their shop is next door to the place where all the indian money exchangers are located in Nathan Rd. Buy only from shops displaying the QTS (Quality Tourism Services) sign from the Hong Kong Tourism Board. I have learnt my lesson. It was an expensive lesson!

• Birdwatching

• Beware of bait and switch in Hong Kong

by Madd57 Written Jul 17, 2011

I went to the Wanchai Computer Center on the 12th July 2011 to look for a specific camera I had in mind. After doing a complete round of all the shops, I stumbled into the last shop, on the first floor. I got a price that was HK$600 cheaper than the lowest price I got so far. So I decided to go in and let him explain the features of the camera. The minute I sat down, he immediately proceeded to recommend a few different cameras, all the while downplaying the one I had chosen.

After about 30 minutes of sitting through his endless pitches, I decided to get the one I had wanted in the first place. Now came the reverse psychology, the person went through insulting remarks about me wasting his time, etc, etc. Then asked for a deposit before he would take the actual camera from the store. I refused and would not fall for the pressure tactics. He continued his insults but I remained calm and finally walked out of the store.

Buyers, beware. HK is a VERY unpleasant place to shop if you are not mentally prepared. I do a lot of product research before I shop so I got away. In most instances, Hong Kong is not a cheap place, compare it to Amazon and you will find that in most cases you will get a better price on Amazon and not get cheated.

• Camera Fraud along Nathan Road, Kowloon

by peterb57 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Warning to anyone wishing to purchase a camera at United Power Audio and Photo shop 342A Nathan Road, Kowloon.
    Please google search Kowloon Camera Fraud

We were victims of the "Bait and Switch" scam as we have now learnt... in which the customer is lured into the shop after viewing a cheaper price Camera dsiplayed in the window. After getting the royal treatment inside the seller will not show the original camera but instead proceed to demonstrate a more expensive camera. meanwhile your credit card or payment is processed. The bait is the expensive camera at a cheap sale price ..the switch is to a different camera and you are caught when the payment is made and you have to buy to recover your costs because the original camera is and never was available. They will not refund your money. The switch is also a camera of inferior quality as your original intended purchase. Beware of the multiple sales persons that work together in these small camera shops off Nathan Road Kowloon. Good advice is to buy at shops which display the red sampan (junk) symbol sign as an endorsement from the Hong Kong Tourist Bureau.

• coolpanda87's Profile Photo

Watch out for Unsanitized Food Items

by coolpanda87 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Open Food Markets ...yum

Hong Kong has one of the cleanist public environments in Asia, only challenged by Japan, Korea, Taiwan & Singapore. However, the message of food safety has not reached everyone yet & many places, especially in New Territories & Kowloon handle their food poorly.

Though most of Hong Kong have learned their lesson with SARS (2003) & the Bird Flu Virus (2004), some unconsiderate vendors still do not gave a care on how food is managed.

Unlike North America & Europe, some foods are illegally shipped in from the mainland, & they are usually not inspected by any local health authorities. Also, in open markets food are displayed out on the streets & dust, pollution, and insects get on them. To make it worst, hot temperatures & humidity also affects the safety of the food.

Therefore, it is best advised that you first check how the store handles the food & how clean the vendor's kitchen is if you see it.

This problem is only restricted to open vednors that set up in outdoor public markets & at very old neighbourhoods.

• Be Careful Buying Cameras in Hongkong

by venturislife Written Apr 2, 2011

I was in hongkong several years ago and was interested in buying a particular camera. Price were cheap in some shops, but some bigger stores were selling them at about 20% more expensive.

Deciding to buy in one of the cheaper store, I asked the salesperson to show me the camera. He asked me for a deposit. He said he needed to get the stock from the warehouse (I refused and walked out). Going from shops to shops all of them were asking the same thing. They refused to show me the camera first before giving some deposit.

Then I went to one of the bigger store, and ask "why is the camera more expensive here?", and they explained, "be careful buying in cheap store, they will give you a JAPANESE VERSION of the camera, which do not have an english language option, and sometimes they STEAL some of the original accessories from the box, or CHANGE it with a cheaper no brand one (ex the battery)".

After doing some research, two identical electronics, one made for japan market (hence in japanese) is indeed a lot cheaper than the one for international market.

Instant Answers: Hong Kong

• Jan 15, 2014 at 5:17 AM

At this store (address, below) they gave me a product that was nothing like the one I asked for; they swapped another item out of the bag before they gave it to me and they charged on my credit card a different price to the one upon which we agreed. In other words, they defrauded me in so many different ways, it would have been impossible to keep track of them all. Serious fraud -- avoid at all costs.

Ideal Digital Shop Number 39 G/F, 97A Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong

• LeonaA's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Stayed on Nathan Rd. for a few days and what an annoying experience! For those who come to Hong Kong avoid this place. Walking on the street is unpleasant as the Indians (or sometimes Pakistani, I am not sure) constantly approached me to sell fake watches, tailor suits, offering cab services, food brochures, massaging and some other weird stuff. It really annoyed me. What a shame for Hong Kong pretending to be a modern city, but having such scum operating for years in a business area! I should have done my homework before staying on that street, as I would have never chosen that place.

• May 16, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Do not buy any camera gear on Nathan Road in Kowloon, as not only will they try and rip you off, but a lot of it is fake, A shop called Full Wings Audio and Video sold me a fake Marumi ploariser, I should have checked it. It's just two pieces of tinted glass. They also have a nice selection of fake Nikon lenses.

• Jan 10, 2013 at 9:58 PM