Shopping, Hong Kong

by rmcuesta
    by rmcuesta
  • Electronics Bargaining!

by yen_2 Written Aug 18, 2003

I don't know if I should be telling this one but it's better to say it than regret at all! There are some scam that really happens in Nathan Road and be really aware. Specialy if you buy some electronic goods. The trick is like this, some would approach you or if you'll go ask one of their sales staff, they will give you some very competitive price and then if you really like what they say of course you will think of buying..and then they will ask you to pay first and after a while they will introduce you to some very nice ones and forgot to ask about the one that you will buy and then they will force you to buy the other one and so on...It's not very nice though but we really just have to be aware and accept the fact that there are like this ones even in the city like this!

Nathan Road
    • Theme Park Trips

• are you a parfume girl?

by vividvivian Written Apr 23, 2003

Lately getting more and more people selling parfume on the street, saying original parfume at a cheaper rate. it is advisable that not to buy from them because they may not be real one. The point is you don't know what's inside the bottle. So, be smart!

flower show 2003, Victoria Park

• MJL's Profile Photo

Copy Rolex !

by MJL Written Mar 5, 2003

There are a lot of young men from India and Bangladesh all around Kowloon, Nathan Road etc. and they offer "Copy Rolex" "Fake Rolex". Everytime when I went to my hotel they offered me that rubbish. I lost my temper the first time during my trips and asked they names. Surprisingly ,they did not say.

Remember that if you buy one of those watch, you throw money away. Once I met some other tourist on the plane and husband was bought a watch from some men. The watch last only a few day and hands of that watch were off.

Wanchai

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

Shopping in Hong Kong

by keeweechic Written Dec 10, 2002

Hong Kong has some great bargains on many things and its a fun place to shop. Just be sure when you purchase camera equipment or electronic goods that you check on the warranty, if its only local or carries an international warranty. Also check the box your goods are in that they contain a manual which is in English. Most stores are reputable and you should stop around for prices before purchasing. Never be afraid to bargain the price.

• John195123's Profile Photo

I put this originally on my...

by John195123 Written Sep 7, 2002

I put this originally on my China page, but really it belongs here. While walking Nathan Road, in Kowloon, some people may approach and try to sell you 'Rolex' watches. They may also invite you to their house to show you more. Going to the house is not adviseable. Many of these vendors are Indian (from India), or not Chinese. That is not to say anything negative, simply statement of fact. I will continue by saying that I did go to one of these vendors' houses as a friend of mine wanted to go. There were four of us who went, and the vendor, although he didn't seem to realize that we knew more about Rolexes than he, was very nice and polite. $20 for a nice fake Rolex isn't bad!

• Plookie's Profile Photo

When shopping in Hong Kong,...

by Plookie Written Sep 7, 2002

When shopping in Hong Kong, remember to lookout for the Hong Kong Tourist emblem's on most store door front's. The one's without this emblem are a part of the Triad's gang in HK. There prices tend to be a bit steep. And they won't try to give you the best price.

Actor Don Johnson

• smoox's Profile Photo

It happened to us several...

by smoox Written Sep 2, 2002

It happened to us several times in Kowloon. We were waiting at a red traffic light when a man in a warm coat approached us. Suddenly, he would open his coat and offer 'real' brandname watches... If we hadnĀ“t met him, we would forever have thought about this as a joke.

• syllybabe's Profile Photo

You gotta have $$$

by syllybabe Written Aug 26, 2002

Make sure you have a lot of cash and/or clean credit cards! It has been practically impossible for anyone I know to come home from Hong Kong without having shopped for just about anything. If carrying plastic, I suggest you do what I do...pay C.O.D. (Care of Daddy...with an AmEx Corporate card) hehehe. Just kidding...I stopped doing that uhmmm...when I turned 30!

• Be wary of people inviting you...

by dzni Written Aug 26, 2002

Be wary of people inviting you to go with them, either into their shop or a back alleyway. There are a good number of these people on Nathan Road in the less lighted areas. If for whatever reason you do go, just be sure it's with a bigger group (say at least 4 or 5 people). I'm not saying they're all bad, but I'd still be cautious.

• daryll's Profile Photo

i warned you all! shopping in Hongkong

by daryll Written Aug 25, 2002

i warned you all! shopping in Hongkong is very risky!
    Well, especially shops and night market. Whenever you feel want to look closely at a product, make sure you'll be buying the product if not! you'll be shouted by the seller! It is very common. Once you touch then you'll have to buy!

Careful on the street

• Enzo's Profile Photo

Walking the streets of HK you...

by Enzo Written Aug 24, 2002

Walking the streets of HK you are constantly being approached but guys wanting to sell you suits or shirts. They keep asking you to visit their shops. This is amusing for the first 15 seconds but after that it gets really flippin' annoying!

Some of these guys are also selling fake Rolex watches.

• rmcuesta's Profile Photo

Jewellery City Co

by rmcuesta Written Mar 21, 2008

do not buy from this jewelry factory, the jewelries are not of good qualities. not worth it to spend your money here.

• Business Travel

Instant Answers: Hong Kong

• Jan 15, 2014 at 5:17 AM

At this store (address, below) they gave me a product that was nothing like the one I asked for; they swapped another item out of the bag before they gave it to me and they charged on my credit card a different price to the one upon which we agreed. In other words, they defrauded me in so many different ways, it would have been impossible to keep track of them all. Serious fraud -- avoid at all costs.

Ideal Digital Shop Number 39 G/F, 97A Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong

• Dec 25, 2014 at 4:00 AM

I just came across this post. I'm surprised this store is still in business. Unfortunately I'm just one of their latest victims. I wanted a Nikon underwater camera and they offered me a great price. Swiped my credit card and told me that they had to get the camera from the storage room, which took quite some time. During the process they offered me a more expensive camera, a Canon underwater one, which costs at least 1,000 HKD more and was made in Japan (the camera I wanted was "only" made in Indonesia). While testing the Nikon camera I wanted to get, the guy kept on screwing up the settings and making it seem like I'm clueless on cameras! He was changing the settings to make it appear that the camera I wanted wasn't good so I would get the Canon one. Also, I noticed that during the testing period, the battery they would put on the Nikon one would always die out and when that happens, they would give me the Canon camera to play with.

Then I just wanted a regular Sandisk memory card and they were offering me another memory card whose brand I don't even recognize but was supposed to be better than the one I wanted because it was great for taking HD videos.

Needless to say, I ended up with the Canon camera and was overcharged $150 USD for the entire package. I only realized what I scam the entire thing was when I asked about a cheap 5-megapixel Chinese made adventure camera which I knew cost less than $100 USD and they quoted me a $400 USD price for it. Also, when I went back to my home country and looked for the same Canon camera, the camera even cost cheaper than it was in that stupid scamming shop. I will never forget that salesman's face and I hope one of these days he will get what he deserves.

• LeonaA's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Stayed on Nathan Rd. for a few days and what an annoying experience! For those who come to Hong Kong avoid this place. Walking on the street is unpleasant as the Indians (or sometimes Pakistani, I am not sure) constantly approached me to sell fake watches, tailor suits, offering cab services, food brochures, massaging and some other weird stuff. It really annoyed me. What a shame for Hong Kong pretending to be a modern city, but having such scum operating for years in a business area! I should have done my homework before staying on that street, as I would have never chosen that place.

• May 16, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Do not buy any camera gear on Nathan Road in Kowloon, as not only will they try and rip you off, but a lot of it is fake, A shop called Full Wings Audio and Video sold me a fake Marumi ploariser, I should have checked it. It's just two pieces of tinted glass. They also have a nice selection of fake Nikon lenses.

• Jan 10, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Everyone, please beware of PERFECT DIGITAL, a camera shop along Nathan Road in Hong Kong. This establishment is so much an expert in the 'BAIT & SWITCH' scheme, that if you step into their shop, they don't see you as a customer but rather, as a PREY that they could victimize. So word of advice, AVOID this establishment, as not doing so would definitely ruin your stay in Hong Kong.