Anjuna Warnings and Dangers

• Wearing a necklace to ward off necklace peddlers??
    Wearing a necklace to ward off necklace...
    by iblatt
  • more p under www.facebook.com grammetbauer robert
    more p under www.facebook.com...
    by grammetbauer_robert
    sissy perlinger goa
    by grammetbauer_robert

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Anjuna

• iblatt's Profile Photo

Peddlers who don't take no for an answer!

by iblatt Updated Apr 9, 2009

Wearing a necklace to ward off necklace peddlers??

Well, this is not really a "warning" tip, but I'd just like to share with you this nuisance on Anjuna beach: Peddlers are of all ages, from 6 to 96. One follows another, insisting on showing you every item in their merchandise, whether you want to look or not.

One after the other, kids selling bead-necklaces and bracelets sat down on my reclining chair and wouldn't take "no" for an answer. When I told one of them that he was wasting his time, he just smiled and answered: "I have time, I will sit here until we do business!"
    We decided to change our strategy, and bought 10 necklaces and wore them, for every peddler to see that we had gotten some already and didn't need any more. Well, it didn't work out that way. This only increased the flow of peddlers, thinking that if we had bought necklaces once, we were sure to buy some more if they were insistent enough!

The next to sit down on my chair uninvited and to offer his services was an old man who told me he would clean my ears. I politely declined his offer, but he just pulled out an album of photographs testifying to his rare skills, showing him at work cleaning ears of German, Scandinavian, British, Israeli and French tourists; according to him, all of them were very pleased with his work. I had to see the whole album before getting a chance to say "no" again and see him depart.

Overall, these were minor annoyances which just served to remind us that we were in Anjuna, India, and not just on any beach anywhere in the world!

• Beaches
    • Women's Travel
    • Singles

• asurfacing's Profile Photo

Vegetarians beware!

by asurfacing Written Nov 15, 2006

Not just in Anjuna, the warning stays for all over Goa. A long stay in Goa for a vegetarian can be fairly frustrating. Keep eyes open for "Udupi" restaurants along the highway between Mapusa and Panjim. You are less hungry in Panjim than anywhere else.

• Figur's Profile Photo

Guest Houses at Anjuna

by Figur Written Feb 26, 2006

Reserving rooms at some guest houses at Anjuna can sometimes be a challenge - I went up there a week before I arrived to be sure I got a clean and decent room. I found the Sunset Guest House and even paid a deposit to the owner. But when I arrived there was no room for me. I got my money back, but then I had to find some other place as I wanted to be somewhere close to the beach.

And the fact that I had nausea and diorrhea coming fast did'nt make things much easier, so I just went for the only place with available rooms: The Sai Prasad at the northend of Anjuna Beach. For your own sake - stay away. First off I got a room with shower & toilet outside for one night, waiting for a bigger room with bathroom inside. The toilet was as worse as the one in "Trainspotting" - and I had a runny bottom coming that night. The timing could'nt be worse. Running back and forth between the disgusting bathroom and the unclean room I was given. During the night I woke up screaming because there were f**king cockroaches crawling on me.
    I did not sleep one minute after that!

The day after I got the "luxury" room down the hall, and sprayed the place with insecticide to get rid of roaches and other unpreferable roommates for the next two nights. The owner charged me 600 rupees for the room, way too much concerning the standards. But then the room was cleaner than the first, so I figured I could live with it. Things got to a higher level of horror when I suddenly realised that RATS crawled the ceiling joist over my bed. No sleep that night either.

• Wolfboy's Profile Photo

Crazy Dogs

by Wolfboy Updated May 4, 2005

Ok everyone who goes to Goa knows theres a mass of dogs wandering around. In the day there fine. There even fine at night in peak season while theres food and people around. But come the end of March they start getting hungry, terrortorial and generally a little nasty so watch yourself at night. Carry a stick.

Instant Answers: Anjuna

Comments

Anjuna Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Anjuna warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Anjuna sightseeing.