Chapel of Saint Catherine, Goa
The Cathedral is dedicated to St Catherine because it was on St Catherine’s day 25 November that Alfonso de Albuquerque conquered Goa, it was completed in 1652, It is the largest Christian church in Asia and has five bells and the largest one the golden bell, so named because it was supposed to have had gold added when it was cast, it is the biggest and best sounding in goa, the Cathedral once had two bell towers but one collapsed in 1776, The interior boasts 15 alters and a grand alter dedicated to St Catherine
Its now a UNESCO Heritage Site
The most imposing of all churches in Goa is also the largest church in Asia: Se Cathedral.
It's a mighty 16th century monument reminding of the Roman Catholics from the times when the Portuguese still ruled Goa. It's dedicated to St Catherine as it was on her feast day, 25th November 1510, when Alfonso de Albuquerque conquered Goa.
It has five bells, one of which is "the Golden Bell" which is told to be the biggest in the world of its' kind. The Church has 14 side chapels; the last chapel, built in Mauresque style, preserves a cross upon which a vision of Christ is said to have appeared in 1919.
The Se Cathedral is the largest church in Asia. Began in 1562 under orders of Portugal's King Sebastiao as a replacement for St. Catherine's, it wasn't actually complete until 1619, and the alters were still not finished until 40 years later. The current placement of the cathedral is on the old city's former main square. As you stand on the steps look out across the grassy area in front of you-that is said to have been the market square. To the right of that was the Palace of the Inquisition, and to the left was the Senate House.
The current building is missing a bell tower, which fell down in 1776, leaving the lone bell tower to ring the Golden Bell-also the biggest in Asia. The interior of the cathedral is quite plain . There are a few notable chapels on either side of the nave and the altar has some panels carved with scenes from St. Catherine's life. The cathedral is dedicated to her.
If you want to attend mass here you are more than welcome. It begins at 7am and 6pm M-Sat, and 7:15 and 10am on Sunday.
This chapel sits on an older site of an earlier chapel built in 1510 by Afonso de Albuquerque. It was built to commemorate his entrance to the city on St. Catherine's Day. The chapel was rebuilt in 1550 after Pope Paul III granted it cathedral status. It is possible that this was the main entrance to the Muslim city of Gove which Albuquerque would have entered in the early 1500's.
It is rarely open for visitors and the interior is of little interest. There are bats in the front by the alter and the light shines just right through the window, it can cause a great beam of light into the otherwise dark hall.
There is also a water "tank" area just next to the chapel grounds which could have been an earlier site for Muslims or even a Hindu temple.
A lovely little chapel ,The St. Catherine Chapel is built in laterite and and has only one altar.the chapel was rebuilt in 1952 on an existing site and on thre built in remains of an earlier structure dating to 1510 by Alfonso de Albuquerque to commemorate his entry into Goa on St. Catherine's Day defeating the muslim rulers.
This chapel stands about 100m away from the St Francis of Assisi Church, down some steps from the main path. An earlier chapel was built on this site by Afonso de Albuquerque in 1510 to commemorate his entry into the city on St Catherine's Day. In 1534 it was granted cathedral status by Pope Paul III and it was then rebuilt in 1550. It was then rebuilt of laterite in 1952 but is empty inside.
An other very nice church, the interior is better preserved than the BornJesus one, see Travelogue for detail.