This Church is located in the heart of the city. It is one of the first churches to be built in Goa with its church bells being the second largest in the world. Best viewed at night when the entire monument is ablaze with lights. Earlier, it is said to have acted almost like a lighthouse for weary sailors. The imposing structure speaks volumes about the religiosity of the times (1540's).
The massive bell of this church was taken from Fort Aquada after the latter's utility as a port for Portuguese ships ceased.
First Written: Oct., 2010
Re-print: Nov., 2013
A wonderful church in Panjim .The amazing series of steps leads you to this little church.it was built in the 16th century.The great bell of the church was moved here from the Church of Old Lady of Grace from Aguada after Panjim became the capital.
Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception Church overlooks Panaji's main square, Church Square and is the town's most important landmark. It is also the first church built in Goa.
The original church was consecrated in 1541. Portuguese sailors would come here to offer thanks after their long, hard voyages from Portugal. At that time - before lighthouses - a bonfire on the hill behind the church would guide the sailors in.
The current church was built in 1619. The Baroque exterior is framed by twin towers. The double flight of stairs that leads to the church were added in 1871. The central pediment and belfry were added at the same time. A huge bell from the Church and Monastery of St. Augustine in Old Goa (once India's largest church) was installed in the belfry.
With the exceptions of the Baroque altars, the interior of the church is rather simple. If you go anywhere in Panaji, you will eventually pass by this church.
The normally peaceful church comes to life each year on Dec. 8th during the annual feast. The church is decorated with lights and a fair takes place in Church Square.
For a snack or a meal head to Kamat Hotel (a restaurant), an excellent, inexpensive, and clean veg restaurant. It's right across from the square, a minute's walk from the church.
This is Panaji's most important landmark, which overlooks Largo da Igreja or Church Square. Portuguese sailors used to come to the original chapel, consecrated in 1541, to offer thanksgiving prayers after their long voyage from Lisbon. The present church, with its Baroque facade framed by twin towers, was built in 1619. Its most striking feature, the double flight of stairs leading up to the church, was added in 1871. The central pediment was built at the same time, as was the belfry to accommodate the huge bell brought from Old Goa's Augustinian monastery.
Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception or the Panjim Church is centrally located in Panaji, very close to the Altinho hill. It was one of the first churches to be built in Goa, around 1540s. The best view of the church can be had at night amidst splendid illumination. The Church bell is the second largest in the World. The beautifully designed stairs leading up to the church, give it an unusual glamour.
The church was one of the first to be built in Goa in the mid-1500's and completely re-built from its foundations in 1619. Portuguese sailors would come to the church to give thanks for safe passage to Goa. Taking into account the negligible population of the area and the size of the new church, it is a striking commentary on the religious climate of the time and the wealth available to the churches. It is still the focal point of the city's religious feasts.
The architecture of this period church is a mixture of Tuscan, Doric, Ionic and Corinthian styles with a fairly simple looking interior. The crisscross staircase in the front of the church was added in the late 19th century. There are two altars on the sides that are dedicated to Jesus and Our Lady of the Rosary. The bell that was once in St. Augstine's was moved to this church in 1871 where it rings today.
Mass is conducted daily in English, Konkani, and Portuguese.