Church of Saint Augustine, Goa
All that remains of this once huge church is the 46m-high tower, which was the belfry as well as one part of the facade of the church. The church was constructed in 1602 by Augustinian friars who arrived in Old Goa in 1587. It was abandoned in 1835 because of the policies of the Portuguese government, which resulted in the eviction of many religious orders from Goa. The church fell into neglect and the vault collapsed in 1842 with the facade following down in 1931. The tower's huge bell was moved in 1871 to the Church of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception in Panaji.
The Church of St Augustine, situated in the Holu Hill of Old Goa is one of the first churches to be built here and is now in complete ruins, but nevertheless, a must visit. It was built in early 1600s. But due to religious conflicts, the people in charge of the church abandoned it and the convent that was there beside it. The neglect led to the collapse of the church, except one among the 4 towers that stood 46 metres high. This bell tower still stands tall. The bell was removed and was put at the Panaji Church, i.e., Our Lady of Immaculate Conception.
This Church was one of the first churches to be built in Goa in 1602 AD. Today it is in ruins and the only remarkable ruin is the Built in 1602, the only ruin of the Church of St. Augustine is the 46-metre high tower. It was the biggest church in Goa and had four such towers. During religious supressions in 1835, the church was abandoned. Due to the neglect in upkeep, it came down in 1842, however parts still remained. Some remaining parts collapsed in 1931.
You can't miss it. When the Portuguese government decided to disband all the foreign missions and take away support for the missionaries, many churches, monastaries and convents fell into disrepair. St. Augustine is a prime example. Most of what is left of this once impressive structure is a ruin of it's 46m tall tower. The rest of it only gives hints to its grandeur.
Began by 12 Augustinian friars in 1572, the church was finished in 1602. It was abandoned in 1835 and most of the church collapsed between 1842 and 1931. The bell that was once in the bell tower is now housed in the Our Lady of Immaculate Conception in Panaji.