Elephants, Goa

15°15"30' to 15°29"30' N and 74°10"15' to 74°20"15' E.[

• Elephants
    Feeding the elephant
    by Donna_in_India
    Getting sprayed by the elephant
  • tanmaysharma1980's Profile Photo

Elephants- The Innocent Creature of God

by tanmaysharma1980 Written Apr 9, 2014

Well, what can I say about the most beautiful paradise in a wheelie bin. My words are more but this space will become less if start writing my wonderful experience to Goa. The Jungle ride was one of the best part of my trip – riding on and swimming with elephants! The natural beauty of nearby town Mollem was truly admirable. When I visited the Bhagwan Mahaveer Sanctuary and Mollem National Park in Sanguem taluk, Goa, I genuinely get to know the nature more closely with a unique way of living the life with nature. I realized how we are hurting the nature for ourselves that is also affecting the wildlife in a most worst way. The elephants are actually the innocent creature of god whom we should respect. I found the Goan elephants taking bathe in a peaceful lake. The amazing experience that was not to be missed was taking a refreshing swim in the lake and to feed those wonderful creatures of the God, i.e elephants. There was the amazing view of Elephants playing in the water. Sitting on the back of elephant feels me like very royal and I enjoyed that. It was a very special experience for me that changed my outlook towards life and nature. We should respect our Indian Wildlife.

• Jungle and Rain Forest
    • National/State Park
    • Eco-Tourism

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

Who's getting the bath???

by Donna_in_India Written Aug 6, 2011

A fun thing to do when visiting Goa is bath an elephant. We went to the Tropical Spice Plantation for the elephants (we visited another spice plantation for the spice tour). Two in our party took a brief elephant ride. Three of us went to bath an elephant.

The elephant was already in the water and we waded in and one at a time, climbed on his back. His skin was rough and a little fuzzy. Soon he lifted his water-filled trunk and sprayed it back on us. We were drenched.

You can spend as much time as you want with the elephants and feed them as well. All of the elephants looked well-cared for so I would not hesitate to recommend a visit here.

Getting sprayed by the elephant Feeding the elephant

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Bathing with elephants

by toonsarah Written Feb 5, 2009

While on a trip to the highland area in the east of Goa we had a chance to help bathe some elephants, which was great fun. You can just stay on the river bank and watch, but it's more fun to volunteer to sit on an elephant's back. They love to shower the tourists with very cold water from their trunk - a good way to cool off on a hot day!

After the elephants had finished their bath we petted then and gave them a small treat, then returned to the river for a proper swim. If you want to do the same I recommend you take a light sarong as you may not get a chance to change afterwards and even if you do the sarong can double as a towel to dry off a little – the hot sun will take care of the rest.

Elephant shower ;-) Feeding the elephants

• lewy1711's Profile Photo

Elephant options

by lewy1711 Written Oct 7, 2006

ok, you have a few options here to see the elephants ranging in price.

1. If you really feel its necessary to sleep with mozzies in a tent near some stinky elephants then go for the Elephant Camp..hugely over priced, so do some research.

2. If like the rest of us you just want to see the elephant and maybe if you feel brave touch and sit on its back then you can go to one of our 3 local elephants.

Arpora - Rhukmani is usually found near Arpora, she is a medium size(my favorite)
    Baga - Jayshri - the smallest one
    Candolim beach road - laxmi the biggest elephant usually hangs out here.

You just need to approach the monk like elephant keepers and offer a donation. Please be reasonable, these guys walk miles and miles with the elephants daily (Laxmi lives at a temple near Mapusa), so offer them a couple hundren Rupees or more. I think this is the best and most affordable option.

3. Spice Plantation - you dont need to come here to do the spice tour (altho its really good), you can also just head to the back of the spice gardens and pay Rs 500/- to either sit on or wash with the elephants..beware: the elephants are really old and will go to the toilet in the water!! huge yellow craps are floating about..

• julia687's Profile Photo

Elephant Sanctuary

by julia687 Written Nov 20, 2005

we did an over night trip called Jungle Book with jewel in the Crown but I believe you can book it with other operators. They take you to an elephant sanctuary on the boarder with the next state via a spice plantation. You sleep in mud huts which was a great experience alone! The interation with the elephants was amazing, you get to ride them, feed them watermelon & bath one of them. The feeding was fantastic as you are right there next to them putting it in to their trunks or mouths.
    You also see inside a local persons house & there is a temple a short walk away where there is optional yoga early in the morning - very spiritual. This was the most amazing experience of my life - much better than swimming with dolphins.
    The tour guide had been working with the elephants for years & knew everything.
    On the way back to the coast you stop at the dusagar waterfalls where you feed the friendly monkeys on the way & swim in the bottom of the waterfall - the water was very cold!
    A very special & unique experience - highly recommended!

• jimbo27's Profile Photo

Elephant Bathing - Jungle Trip

by jimbo27 Updated Nov 8, 2004

This may be put on just for the tourists, but how else can you go on about 3 trips withing 2 days, and get to swim, shower and bathe with elephants? This was an experience in itself, nevermind the great time we had with the campfire, Spice Plantation and waterfalls.
    There was plenty of time for interaction with the Elephants, a ride, feeding , washing and swimming.
    A memorable trip.

• Treasam's Profile Photo

Godfreys elephant retreat.

by Treasam Written Apr 15, 2008

Stay over at this retreat, it was a lovely experience. Getting to know Rhani the elephant. Eating fabulous food.

Rhani The elephant

• catkin's Profile Photo

Give Nelly a bath

by catkin Updated May 23, 2005

One of the activities you could take part in at the spice plantation was bathing an elephant. I didn't do this myself but it looked great fun if you didn't mind getting wet!

Bathtime