Saint Francis of Assisi Church - Old Goa, Goa
The Church of St. Francis of Assissi is located to the west of the Se Cathedral, being the former palace of the Archbishop that connects the Se Cathedral to the Convent .
Initially a chapel, it got converted into a church in 1521 AD and was dedicated to the Holy Ghost in 1602 AD. There used to be a convent in the church. The Portuguese government closed the convent in 1835 AD. The church has been converted into a museum by the Archaeological Survey of India in 1964. The church displays artifacts, paintings and pieces of Hindu temple sculptures from Goa.
In Old Goa there are tons of Churches....
Se Cathedral is the largest and was built in 1652. Its gothic...and huge!
Church of St Francis Assisi has great gilded woodwork and is built on the site of Goa's first chuch.
The Basilica of Bom Jesus is famous for containing the tomb od St Francis Xavier.
Theres tons of other churches but that was as much as I could stomach!
Upon their arrival in 1517, Portuguese Franciscan friars built a small chapel where this church and convent now stand. Upgraded and rebuilt in 1521 and again in 1661, only the doorway of the original building still exists.
On the inside the local painters and artisans were given a lot more artistic freedom. There are many painted murals, painted portraits on wood panels throughout. The pulpit is also intricately carved and there are many figures depicting biblical stories and personalities around the altar area. On the floor are many of the tombs of the old Portuguese land owners.
There is also a convent attached to the church which now houses an archeology museum(5Rs. 10am-6:30pm). It houses many artifacts from ancient Goan Hindu temples as well as artifacts from local Portuguese artisans from the 16th century.
The Church of St. Francis of Assisi is in the same complex along with St. Catherine's Cathedral and the Archaelogical Museum. The Church was built in 1521 by the Franciscan Friars, rebuilt in 1661, and restored in 1762-1765. The beautifully carved doorway was taken from the original building and is a rare example of Portuguese Manueline style.
The interior is Baroque with floral frescoes on the walls and ceiling. The floor is paved with tombstones of Portuguese nobility. The altar has figures of Christ and St. Francis, and the pulpit is carved in floral designs. On either side of the altar are paintings on wood depicting scenes from St. Francis' life.
This wonderful church lies just to the west of the Se Cathedral and is one of the most interesting in Old Goa. A small chapel was built on this site by eight Franciscan friars on their arrival in 1517. This was then replaced, in 1521 by a church consecrated to the Holy Ghost. This church was then rebuilt in 1661 into the present structure which features a glorious three-tied facade and octagonal towers. However, it’s the interior of this church that makes it a big draw. It's dominated by a huge altar that stretches to the ceiling which, itself, along with the walls, are heavily gilded and covered with carved wood panels. The altar features a large statue of St Francis of Assisi and Jesus on the cross plus statues of St Peter and St Paul. There are also several large paintings on the walls of the chancel that depict scenes from the life of St Francis of Assisi.
This Tuscan style church was built in 1661 on the site of an earlier church.On either side of the main altar are paintings depicting the life of St. francis of s are made onAssisi including a scene of his birth.The paintings are made on large wooden panels.The church is built with laterite stone.The church has a nave with three chapels on either side, a choir ,a main altar and two altars in the transept.