Getting Around Goa

Most Viewed Transportation in Goa

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

Arriving By Plane

by Donna_in_India Written Aug 12, 2011

Goa's Dabolim Airport is serves both domestic and international (including charter) flights. It is a fairly small airport but during the season there is a pretty constant flow of air traffic.

Most cities within India are connected to Goa by excellent "budget" domestic airlines including: Spice Jet, Indigo, Go Air, Kingfisher Red, and Jetlite. Fares between Mumbai and Goa, for instance, can be as cheap as Rs 1300 (about US $30). Check with www.makemytrip.com or www.cleartrip.com to see the fares and times of the various flights, but I'd recommend booking directly on the airline's site.

The airport has an ATM and a few tourist information desks that may or may not be open. Once you pick up your luggage from one of the two belts, head out the doors and you'll find the pre-paid taxi counter to the left. Although you can walk to the street and possibly find a "cheaper" taxi, I'd recommend sticking with the pre-paid. The trip to Panaji takes about 30-40 minutes and costs around Rs 500. For the beaches north of Panaji rates will run about Rs 700-800 and the ride will take about 45-60 minutes. There is a sign posted at the taxi counter with all the costs by destination.

For departures, there are a couple of small shops (don't shop here), a cigarette break room, and a small restaurant.

• Dizzyhead's Profile Photo

Moped.

by Dizzyhead Updated Feb 8, 2011

Many people use the moped to travel around in Goa, even the tourists. It is a very easy and good way to get around in Goa and also get in touch with the locals. Here in India and Goa they drive on the left side, which can be some extra difficulties when you are a foreigner and if you live in a part of the world where they drive on the right side. When you drive your moped, you shall know that they can pass you on both sides, there arent any rules for how to drive. Well, maybe there are some rules, but you dont see them at least. And if you want to drive moped around, you have plenty of people which rent them to you. Be careful and check up what the insurance says.

• Motorcycle

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

Flight from Aurangabad to Goa (via Mumbai)

by MalenaN Written Sep 18, 2010

Some weeks before leaving Sweden I bought a plane ticket from Aurangabad to Goa (via Mumbai where I changed planes). I bought the ticket through Jet Airways website and it was Rs 5359 for the 22nd of June 2010.

I had asked at the hotel how much an auto rickshaw to the airport was and the man told me Rs 250. I thought it was too much so I walked down to the street opposite the Railway Station to take a metered auto rickshaw. The first rickshaw driver I asked didn’t want to go by meter but said the price was Rs 100 and I accepted that at once. It took about 20 minutes to the airport.

I arrived 1.5 hours before departure and so early there were very few people at the airport, even if my flight was not the first to leave Aurangabad that morning. Well, it seemed that many people were quite late. As you enter the airport building the luggage you will check in is screened before you leave it at the check in desk. In the departure hall there were two places where to buy snacks and coffee, but unfortunately they only had coffee with milk so I decided to wait.

We were 40 minutes late leaving Aurangabad and 1h 20 minutes late to Mumbai (we were not allowed to land first). The flight was supposed to take only 45 minutes, but even if it was delayed I had some time before the connection flight to Goa. I asked for the way to my connecting flight and was directed to Terminal B. I went through security and sat down at a cafe to have coffee and sandwich for breakfast. Food had only been sold on the plan from Aurangabad. When it started to be short of time I went to look for the right gate. It turned out I was in the wrong terminal and had to hurry to Terminal A. I stood in a second queue to go through security and started to feel worried I would miss my plane. Arriving at the gate nothing was written on the sign and no one seemed to know anything. Well, I soon found out I was at the right gate but we were delayed. Half an hour late we left Mumbai for Goa. On this flight, that took an hour, food was served.

In Goa the checked in luggage arrived quickly and I went outside the terminal to a booth for prepaid taxis and took a taxi to Arambol for Rs 980 (June 2010).

• georeiser's Profile Photo

Goa airport (GOI)

by georeiser Written Jun 9, 2010

Goa airport (GOI) is a small, but crowded airport with both domestic and international flights. The airport is located in Dabolim, less than 30 kms from the city Panaji. The distance to the nearest beach in the north is 45 kms.

• georeiser's Profile Photo

Taxi from Goa airport

by georeiser Updated Jun 9, 2010

Goa airport is located in Dabolim, not far from the city Panaji. The distance to the beach is however longer. If you don't know how to travel on the buses, you need to take a car. Taxis from the airport are fixed priced according to where you are traveling. Airport-Calangute costs 900 rupies (20 USD) in a small car with max 4 passengers. Big cars are hard to find. There are two hotel information counters in the arrival hall. They can arrange transportation.
    Goa airport is a crowded, but small airport. A lot of people are standing outside the terminal when you arrive. If you are fit for bargaining, you can of course try to ask somebody standing outside the terminal for transportation.

It's cheaper to travel from the beaches to the airport. Calangute-airport costs 700 rupies. A big car for 8 people costs 900 rupies.

• XKuger's Profile Photo

Hire a Cab

by XKuger Updated Feb 8, 2010

Hiring a cab or rather what they call as a Tourist Cab is your better choice of transport around Goa. As the beaches are far apart and you do need some form of transport to get around. Specially if you planning to see all of them in a short period of time.

There other forms of public transport that include local ricks, bikes ad public buses, these can be a hazzel depending on where your are staying. If you a backpacker then you can fit right in @ goa as your options are many.

Personally I prefered the Tax cab that I was able to rent for the whole day.

• Amar_kirale's Profile Photo

How to reach Tarkarli

by Amar_kirale Updated Jan 3, 2010

Tarkarli is 2hrs drive from Goa. 6kms from Malvan. Its in Maharashtra State, District Sindhudurg. Nearest town is Malvan. Nearest railway station is Kudal and Nearest airport is Panjim Airport, Goa.. From Mumbai its almost 460Km. It’s a place for nature lovers and for people who want to escape from busy city life.

• Willettsworld's Profile Photo

Taxi from airport

by Willettsworld Written Sep 19, 2009

The airport in Goa is located near Vasco de Gama, which itself is located south of the capital, Panaji. I flew into Goa from Mumbai and was going to take a taxi by myself but a Scottish guy, who was waiting by the taxi rank, suggested about sharing one. This I did and we made our way to northern Goa which cost a total of Rs650 (which, of course, we halved between us). It takes quite some time to get to the Calangute area from the airport so bear this in mind.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Taxi drivers in Baga

by toonsarah Written Feb 5, 2009

As Newcastle fans we had to stop for photos when we saw this taxi driver wearing the black and white stripes. I don't think he had a clue why we were so interested but he and his mates were very happy to pose for photos with me, as you can see.

We used taxis a couple of times, to go to Anjuna Market and to Old Goa. On both occasions we chose from the drivers parked immediately outside our hotel as we knew the hotel owner discouraged any unscrupulous ones from waiting there. We also negotiated a “there and back” fare before starting out on the journey. I don’t remember the prices but we thought them reasonable at the time. Returning from Anjuna our driver asked if he could accept a fare from two other passengers and we were happy to agree. It saved us a bit of money and meant a detour on some scenic back roads.

• traceyspacey's Profile Photo

Local Bus

by traceyspacey Written Jul 23, 2008

We spent a lot of time in Palolem. The nearest place for food supplies and ATM's is the town of Chaudi. You can walk there, it will take you about half an hour. This can be a bit too much in the Sun, so take the bus. The bus stand in Palolem is at the start of the beach road. The bus will stop at the bus station in Chaudi. Turn left out of the bus stop and walk for a few minutes and you will be in Chaudi. Bus costs 5 Rupees. It does break down sometimes.

• Taxi

by 38dora Written Mar 16, 2008

If you are staying in Calangute try calling Dominic 9850458534. He is a taxi driver and will drive you all day from here to there and will pick you up when you are finished with whatever you are doing. he is very very honest and helpfull. He knows where all the bargains are and even helps you barter for your goods. We only used him as a driver for our stay in Goa.

• looking for my angel

by bungalore Written Mar 1, 2008

this is a bottle in the sea and be sure that's the first time i try to found someone cross at the goa airport the 29 febuary 2008
    Iwas travelling with friends and their kids to mumbai by plane,we took the train for coming and it's quite funny but the way back was easyer by plane
    i'm looking for a brown man with a blue tee shirt(usa on the back)travelling on british airways from goa to bungalore the 29 febuary,while i was waiting for the mumbai plane,cross at the shop whith my broken credit card to ashame to talk,to said that i had the strange feeling to know that person since a long
    not really helpfull for the way to go to goa to bungalore or mumbai but if u ever know a angel to help me please let me know

• JessH's Profile Photo

DABOLIM AIRPORT (GOI)

by JessH Updated Sep 17, 2007

(Airport Code: GOI)

Dabolim airport is Goa's only airport; a military/naval airport that also handles commercial flights. Renovations & expansion is expected to be completed some time in 2007.

We arrived with Jet Airways from Mumbai. For such a tiny airport, security truly is impressive. Once outside, India partially "hits" and partially embraces you:
    Immigration, passport control and luggage services take their time... try to relax and not get annoyed: you're on holiday, so you're probably not in that much of a hurry, am I right?

Outside the terminal, there will be numerous guys wanting to help you with your bags, and of course there are numerous (rather expensive) airport taxis. We had a pick-up arranged by our hotel, so we avoided the initial arrival-hassle and were glad about it.

The toilets? Well... again, you've just arrived in a small airport in India, so don't expect too much (and bring your own paper towels!)

Upon departure, we were surprised to see a rather nice smoking room (most international airports have disgustingly yellow-stained smoking rooms, in a bid to seemingly discourage smokers) where you can spend a pleasant 30-45 min before boarding the plane.

• JohnniOmani's Profile Photo

Goa to The Big Cities (if necessary)

by JohnniOmani Updated Jul 25, 2007

Buses in India are not fun and Goa is no different. They are often jam packed and sweaty but if necessary ie if the trains or full or if you cant afford to fly. State run bus services operate out of Panajis Kadamba bus stand. Fares vary but I found that the bus to Mumbai cost about 300 rupees and takes about 17 hours, Bangalore cost 400 rupees and takes about 15 hours and Pune cost 250 rupees and takes about 13 hours. I dont recommend the long bus trips but if you must, get a sleeper class and put your feet up.

• clouds111's Profile Photo

Taxi's

by clouds111 Written Jun 15, 2007

Taxi's are a great way to get around Goa. It is very cheap and if you are doing a day of sightseeing the guys will drive to and from each place and wait for you while you're looking around. Our guy spent all day with us - taking us to the spice plantation, temple and Old Goa and all for around £10.

Goa Hotels

Sun Village
Latest: Apr 10, 2014
Resorte Marinha Dourada

Instant Answers: Goa

Comments

Goa Transportation

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Goa locals.
Map of Goa