Getting Around Goa

Most Viewed Transportation in Goa

The airport...

by BluBluBlu Written Aug 19, 2005

If its your first time..

Arrivals: You walk off the tarmac...then immigration...which can be slow...then downstairs...to get your bags...don't rush for a trolley...its only 50 yards to be outside! There's now an ATM so you can change money. If you are on a package tour...there will be reps..and a coach...but its slow...you'll probably wait an hour...at least...before you leave. There is a taxi service...only costs about 6 pounds to most rseorts...or less!

Departures:

Once you are checked in...DON'T go through to the departure lounge...theres nothing there! Wander around...find a bar...allow yourself an hour to eventually go through...its chaotic...but you'll make the flight!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Taxi drivers in Baga

by toonsarah Written Feb 5, 2009

As Newcastle fans we had to stop for photos when we saw this taxi driver wearing the black and white stripes. I don't think he had a clue why we were so interested but he and his mates were very happy to pose for photos with me, as you can see.

We used taxis a couple of times, to go to Anjuna Market and to Old Goa. On both occasions we chose from the drivers parked immediately outside our hotel as we knew the hotel owner discouraged any unscrupulous ones from waiting there. We also negotiated a “there and back” fare before starting out on the journey. I don’t remember the prices but we thought them reasonable at the time. Returning from Anjuna our driver asked if he could accept a fare from two other passengers and we were happy to agree. It saved us a bit of money and meant a detour on some scenic back roads.

Little white taxi's

by BluBluBlu Updated Jan 18, 2006

The white 'tourist' taxi's are found outside every hotel in Goa, and are a great way to get about. On your first day the local taxi drivers will know you have just arrived. When you get your first taxi they will ask 'is it your first time to Goa?'...don't say yes even if it is! Just say 'we were here last year'...that way you'll get the normal fares straight away! They are cheap...reliable...and more or less safe. You can use them for local journeys...for about 50p...or hire them for the day...rates will vary...but look for about 10/12 pounds...and thats for one person...or as many as you can cram in!

• JessH's Profile Photo

DABOLIM AIRPORT (GOI)

by JessH Updated Sep 17, 2007

(Airport Code: GOI)

Dabolim airport is Goa's only airport; a military/naval airport that also handles commercial flights. Renovations & expansion is expected to be completed some time in 2007.

We arrived with Jet Airways from Mumbai. For such a tiny airport, security truly is impressive. Once outside, India partially "hits" and partially embraces you:
    Immigration, passport control and luggage services take their time... try to relax and not get annoyed: you're on holiday, so you're probably not in that much of a hurry, am I right?

Outside the terminal, there will be numerous guys wanting to help you with your bags, and of course there are numerous (rather expensive) airport taxis. We had a pick-up arranged by our hotel, so we avoided the initial arrival-hassle and were glad about it.

The toilets? Well... again, you've just arrived in a small airport in India, so don't expect too much (and bring your own paper towels!)

Upon departure, we were surprised to see a rather nice smoking room (most international airports have disgustingly yellow-stained smoking rooms, in a bid to seemingly discourage smokers) where you can spend a pleasant 30-45 min before boarding the plane.

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

Arriving By Plane

by Donna_in_India Written Aug 12, 2011

Goa's Dabolim Airport is serves both domestic and international (including charter) flights. It is a fairly small airport but during the season there is a pretty constant flow of air traffic.

Most cities within India are connected to Goa by excellent "budget" domestic airlines including: Spice Jet, Indigo, Go Air, Kingfisher Red, and Jetlite. Fares between Mumbai and Goa, for instance, can be as cheap as Rs 1300 (about US $30). Check with www.makemytrip.com or www.cleartrip.com to see the fares and times of the various flights, but I'd recommend booking directly on the airline's site.

The airport has an ATM and a few tourist information desks that may or may not be open. Once you pick up your luggage from one of the two belts, head out the doors and you'll find the pre-paid taxi counter to the left. Although you can walk to the street and possibly find a "cheaper" taxi, I'd recommend sticking with the pre-paid. The trip to Panaji takes about 30-40 minutes and costs around Rs 500. For the beaches north of Panaji rates will run about Rs 700-800 and the ride will take about 45-60 minutes. There is a sign posted at the taxi counter with all the costs by destination.

For departures, there are a couple of small shops (don't shop here), a cigarette break room, and a small restaurant.

Be aware!

by BluBluBlu Written Aug 19, 2005

If you hire a motorbike or car whilst in Goa make sure you carry your international drivers license with you. The local police love to set roadblocks up and then 'charge' you if you do not have a license on you. They do it all over Goa but particularly on the Calangute/Arpora Road on a Saturday, and the Calangute/Mapusa road on a Friday.i

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

Flight from Aurangabad to Goa (via Mumbai)

by MalenaN Written Sep 18, 2010

Some weeks before leaving Sweden I bought a plane ticket from Aurangabad to Goa (via Mumbai where I changed planes). I bought the ticket through Jet Airways website and it was Rs 5359 for the 22nd of June 2010.

I had asked at the hotel how much an auto rickshaw to the airport was and the man told me Rs 250. I thought it was too much so I walked down to the street opposite the Railway Station to take a metered auto rickshaw. The first rickshaw driver I asked didn’t want to go by meter but said the price was Rs 100 and I accepted that at once. It took about 20 minutes to the airport.

I arrived 1.5 hours before departure and so early there were very few people at the airport, even if my flight was not the first to leave Aurangabad that morning. Well, it seemed that many people were quite late. As you enter the airport building the luggage you will check in is screened before you leave it at the check in desk. In the departure hall there were two places where to buy snacks and coffee, but unfortunately they only had coffee with milk so I decided to wait.

We were 40 minutes late leaving Aurangabad and 1h 20 minutes late to Mumbai (we were not allowed to land first). The flight was supposed to take only 45 minutes, but even if it was delayed I had some time before the connection flight to Goa. I asked for the way to my connecting flight and was directed to Terminal B. I went through security and sat down at a cafe to have coffee and sandwich for breakfast. Food had only been sold on the plan from Aurangabad. When it started to be short of time I went to look for the right gate. It turned out I was in the wrong terminal and had to hurry to Terminal A. I stood in a second queue to go through security and started to feel worried I would miss my plane. Arriving at the gate nothing was written on the sign and no one seemed to know anything. Well, I soon found out I was at the right gate but we were delayed. Half an hour late we left Mumbai for Goa. On this flight, that took an hour, food was served.

In Goa the checked in luggage arrived quickly and I went outside the terminal to a booth for prepaid taxis and took a taxi to Arambol for Rs 980 (June 2010).

• Amar_kirale's Profile Photo

How to reach Tarkarli

by Amar_kirale Updated Jan 3, 2010

Tarkarli is 2hrs drive from Goa. 6kms from Malvan. Its in Maharashtra State, District Sindhudurg. Nearest town is Malvan. Nearest railway station is Kudal and Nearest airport is Panjim Airport, Goa.. From Mumbai its almost 460Km. It’s a place for nature lovers and for people who want to escape from busy city life.

• JohnniOmani's Profile Photo

Panaji and Beyond

by JohnniOmani Written Feb 26, 2007

Travelling around Goa is straight forward and it involves travelling by shared taxi or by local bus. Most travellers want to go to Old Goa leave from the central bus stand and the 25 minute ride cost 5 rupees although they may ask for 8 to 12 rupees and the bus backped ride is easy and fast. The bus drops you off at the main roundabout in Old Goa near St. Francis Xavier church and the buses going back to Panaji leave every 15 minutes until 5 or 6pm.

• JohnniOmani's Profile Photo

Goa to The Big Cities (if necessary)

by JohnniOmani Updated Jul 25, 2007

Buses in India are not fun and Goa is no different. They are often jam packed and sweaty but if necessary ie if the trains or full or if you cant afford to fly. State run bus services operate out of Panajis Kadamba bus stand. Fares vary but I found that the bus to Mumbai cost about 300 rupees and takes about 17 hours, Bangalore cost 400 rupees and takes about 15 hours and Pune cost 250 rupees and takes about 13 hours. I dont recommend the long bus trips but if you must, get a sleeper class and put your feet up.

• Willettsworld's Profile Photo

Taxi from airport

by Willettsworld Written Sep 19, 2009

The airport in Goa is located near Vasco de Gama, which itself is located south of the capital, Panaji. I flew into Goa from Mumbai and was going to take a taxi by myself but a Scottish guy, who was waiting by the taxi rank, suggested about sharing one. This I did and we made our way to northern Goa which cost a total of Rs650 (which, of course, we halved between us). It takes quite some time to get to the Calangute area from the airport so bear this in mind.

Flights...

by BluBluBlu Written Oct 16, 2005

If you are travelling to Goa from other parts of India check these links out:

www.indian-airlines.nic.in

www.jetairways.com

www.airsahara.net

www.airdeccan.net

www.kingfisher.com

www.spicejet.com

Motorbikes2

by BluBluBlu Written Aug 24, 2005

If you do decide to hire a motorbike...use your horn a lot!

Horns are used to shoo cows or other animals off the road...or to say 'I'm overtaking you'...or to say..'I'm coming around a blind bend, watch out!'...so use it often...let pedestrians and other drivers know you are around!

• clouds111's Profile Photo

Taxi's

by clouds111 Written Jun 15, 2007

Taxi's are a great way to get around Goa. It is very cheap and if you are doing a day of sightseeing the guys will drive to and from each place and wait for you while you're looking around. Our guy spent all day with us - taking us to the spice plantation, temple and Old Goa and all for around £10.

• jalapeeno's Profile Photo

Tuk tuks

by jalapeeno Written Nov 20, 2005

The best ' short trip ' way to get around, in our opinion.

Tuk tuks are great fun, really bouncy ride and can only carry 2 passengers but are cheaper than cabs and are an experience!

You can flag them down in most areas and are ideal to get around to local areas, If your thinking of travelling a little further a field grab a tourist taxi.

Remember to set your price before you get in, a typical price from Arpora to Baga is 60 rupees, and Candolim 100 rupees.

Goa Hotels

Colonia Santa Maria Hotel
Coconut Creek
Latest: Apr 1, 2014

Instant Answers: Goa

Comments

Goa Transportation

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Goa locals.
Map of Goa