Sawai Madhopur Local Customs

• atufft's Profile Photo

Congregating at the Ranger Station

by atufft Updated Apr 21, 2007

Ranger Station at Ranthambhore

For those taking a jeep, the wildlife guide and driver will arrange to pick you up at the hotel at a specified time. Before dawn, the hotel parking lot is likely to be somewhat chaotic as jeeps and tour groups find each other. Then, the vehicles all head to the park, past an old dam, where men are likely to be bathing. At the park entrance, there's a ranger station where all the vehicles stop and everyone gets out to drink an Indian tea sold by the vendors allowed to stay there. The rangers then assign guides to particular jeep trails so that tourists are even distributed within the park jeep trail system. Up the hill from the ranger station is the entrance to Ranthambhore Fortress.

• National/State Park
    • Jungle and Rain Forest
    • Photography

• atufft's Profile Photo

Wildlife Observation Guide

by atufft Written Apr 21, 2007

My Wildlife Guide

I had a wildlife guide assist me in spotting the game, and he was well worth his pay because he could see animals at great distance without the aid of binoculars. The main thing though, is if you are alone to establish a rapport than reduces the chance of having the guide being too dictatorial or exercising bad judgement during the safari. For example, in my morning trip, after we had first spotted a tiger at close range, the guide radioed other jeeps as to the location of the tiger, this is regrettable but somewhat understandable as finding a tiger is not all that easy. However, the wildlife guide also apparently motioned to another tourist to join in my jeep without my permisson. Leaving the jeep is certainly was against park rules, and to leave one's jeep during the short photography session of a tiger is a nuisance to everyone. In my case, an overly enthusiastic and aggressive Aussie tourist jumped aboard my jeep, and then bumped me as I was videotaping, and I naturally angry about this intrusion and had to insist by muscle to get out! But, this incident was the wildlife guides error. Needless to say, he didn't get much of a bonus from me, a tradition in his work. But, I was lucky I think to have seen a tiger given I was only there one day. There were plenty of tourists in our hotel who had not seen a tiger across a period of as much as a weeks' stay. A good wildlife guide is essential.

• Photography
    • Jungle and Rain Forest
    • National/State Park

• grets's Profile Photo

Sacred langurs

by grets Written Mar 8, 2005

Hanuman Langur

The Hanuman langur is sacred to the Indians. They are named after the Hindu monkey-god Hanuman, who, according to legend, fought to rescue a woman and to escape was forced to burn down the village. The black hands and faces of these langurs are thought to be the result of the fire the monkey-god was trapped in. Because of this legend, the Hanuman Langur is the sacred monkey of India and therefore not preyed upon by humans.

• Safari

• grets's Profile Photo

Local transport

by grets Written Mar 7, 2005

Camel transport

This is rural India, and it is not unusual to see camels or elephants alongside cars and tractors on the roads. Many of the camels had their 'fur' cut into intricate patterns, and the elephants were painted in bright colours.

• Safari

Instant Answers: Sawai Madhopur

Comments

Sawai Madhopur Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Sawai Madhopur local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Sawai Madhopur sightseeing.

View all Sawai Madhopur hotels