Ahmadabad Favorites

• arial view of tekra, the slum area of ahmedabad
    arial view of tekra, the slum area of...
    by supune

Best Rated Favorites in Ahmadabad

• supune's Profile Photo

Arial view of Tekra

by supune Updated Aug 26, 2006

arial view of tekra, the slum area of ahmedabad

Favorite thing: There are about 200,000 residents packed into the slum area of Tekra (green polygon). Even in the slums you can see a sort of stratification of society. The further you go into the city the smaller the makeshift houses become. The poorest residents make a living collecting trash and taking them to a consolidator who will sell the rumaged goods to become recycled. Many of the kids do this all day and don't have time to go to school. There were some pot makers and seamstresses, taxi driver, day laborors that we met. Coming from the US, it took me a couple days to become used to the environment, but after awhile I became confortable after making some friends. Children were quite happy when at play and I saw how important how establishing community centers were for the social well being of a community. Since I had only been there a couple weeks, I was advised not to drink the water there and some of the kids ran out to the closest store to get us bottled water.

You can also find a few goats and cows milling about.

Fondest memory: "Tekra" means "The Hill". Much like slum areas of any big city (Ahmedabad is the 6th biggest city in India), it started as an area where squatters set up land. The area is technically government owned land. There doesn't seem to be much of a social infrastructure in India to dole out welfare or give much social services, so NGOs like Manav Sadhna take resposnibilty to help out. At the time I went ( Dec 2005), there was a community center being built, a guild of trash collectors being organized, Malaria, Tetnus and other disease education as well as a daily food program going on.

You can see the Manav Sadhna headquarters(red circle) located next to the Gandhi Ashram (blue circle)on the Sabramati River.

• Study Abroad

• handsom23us's Profile Photo

SEE OTHER GENERAL TIPS...

by handsom23us Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: SEE OTHER GENERAL TIPS ALSO.

If you wanna see Arts: Go to Sidi saiyad Jaali/ mosque, IIM building by famouse french architect, CEPT campus-Ahmedabad Gufa by mr. Doshi, Iscon Temple.

If u wanna buy handicraft clothes: Go to Law Garden area in evening after 7 or 8. especially on weekend.

Extras: see kankaria lake, Asia's largest Zoo at Kankaria lake and Nagina Wadi in between the lake.

if you wanna taste various yummy food , feel entertained..see the section for 'restaurant' and 'entertainment' i will put there some info soon. u know i m busy..:)

Fondest memory: LET ME INTRODUCE THIS PICTURE FIRST: it is CG Road. one of the main roads in ahmedabad. jewellers, garment shops, restaurants and young chilling crowd is found here.

I love the rain here, the morning herbal soup provided near Parimal Garden (what a health conscious crowd), ATIRA-the industrial and textile association campus.

And ofcourse, I love every beat of evening life of this city, every beat of weekend and trying various restaurants every weekend..and YES, chatting with friends sitting near footpaths with parked vehicles and enjoying crowd..chatting about Prime minister's policy, what to do in office tomorrow, and having pepsi.

• handsom23us's Profile Photo

Gufa by Mr. Doshi. an amazing...

by handsom23us Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: Gufa by Mr. Doshi. an amazing archtecture.
    Located in new ahmedabad, university road. CEPT campus. Very calm and green area. I have done my 11th grade studies in a college building just behind those archie things..:) never paid attention when i passed by ....but now i appreciate them.

• handsom23us's Profile Photo

I.I.M. (INDIAN INSTITUTE OF...

by handsom23us Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: I.I.M. (INDIAN INSTITUTE OF MANAGEMENT)
    I went there..many times..very cool campus. Every december/jan they do some Rock Shows..or kinda..kool stuff..plus, the education level is The best. world class. couldnt get admission..:)
    It is located in new ahmedabad, not far from CEPT, BK school of MGMT and ATIRA (textile & industrial campus)

• handsom23us's Profile Photo

The Sidi Saiyad's mosque is...

by handsom23us Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: The Sidi Saiyad's mosque is located in old ahmedabad city. you can reach there by rikshaw. After crossing the bridge it is not even half kilometer away. It is crowded area so go on sunday if u can. You cant go inside. (80% sure)

• handsom23us's Profile Photo

Well..compare this to French...

by handsom23us Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: Well..compare this to French footpath restaurants..:))
    its yumm food..'bhaji pav' and 'bhel'
    any forigner can eat this if its literally hot. just make sure to tell them to prepare it less spicy and use special mineral water (which u will provide) to prepare this dish....they will do it..they will understand..they are nice..:) go and taste it once..u wont regret.

• Swadeshika's Profile Photo

Some of the best places to...

by Swadeshika Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: Some of the best places to take food are Toran (Near Sales India), Vishala, Gopi. These restaurants serve traditional Gujarati food.. the Thali style and all..
    Vishala is a great hit, but the location is a bit away from the city center, and a bit costly. The ambience is great, and has a great collection of culinary items.
    Other nice places are Patang, a revolving restaurant just across Sabarmati river and Mirch Masala, which has a great setting.

Fondest memory: I visited the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad. This place is a great place of learning and has a unique architecture designed by the world famous Architect, Louis Kahn.

• fabrice's Profile Photo

it is the native state of...

by fabrice Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: it is the native state of gandhi,he was born in porbandar,on the coast,so you can visit his ashram in ahmadabad.
    picture is:mausolée muqbara in junagadh(gujarat)

Fondest memory: I was on a waiting-list at ahmadabad airport on a flight to bombay,we were 100 people on this waiting list and I had number 4;and the speaker called all the candidates who were accepted;I jumped over when I heard my name,I was so anxious to leave gujarat

• dhaval972's Profile Photo

explore ahmedabad.

by dhaval972 Updated Jun 16, 2004

Favorite thing: visit c.g road and also the old part of the city. u will see many wonders. dear friends, please do share your experiences and views. i am the resident of ahmedabad. and i have taken care for giving this information to you, so that you can enjoy my city most. happy journey.

no responsibility taken for the accuracy of the information. travellers are wholly responsible for all things during travelling to ahmedabad.

Fondest memory: miss the taste of hot and spicy food.

Instant Answers: Ahmadabad

Comments

Ahmadabad Favorites

Reviews and photos of Ahmadabad favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ahmadabad sightseeing.