Jammu Local Customs

Two different vehicles. . . .
    Muslim country?
    Procession with elephant

Most Recent Local Customs in Jammu

• kokoryko's Profile Photo

Did I say proselytism?

by kokoryko Updated Sep 21, 2008

Procession with elephant

Elephant, pilgrims and. . . . .pigs. . . . I was sitting in a motor-rickshaw when the traffic suddenly was stopped by a procession in the upper part of the city; we had to wait the procession passes by before we could proceed, and police, traffic lights, could not do anything for the people waiting in their cars. . . for the tourist it was of course a good thing to watch these guys passing by. . . !
    It was interesting too, to look at the people on the street when they passed by: people did not care at all (or did like that!); in fact in the streets, most people are Muslims, and they do not feel concerned by that sort of procession. But there are also Hindu holy places, and Hindu worshippers walk also on their holy grounds. . . but I had a . . . how to say? (write) an incredibly strange feeling when I saw this big pig (picture 3) (I am used to see pigs in the countryside of the place where I live) in a Muslim populated place; I felt it like a sort of a provocation, which it probably is not! I have seen people in Algiers throwing stones at a lost boar in Algeria, I know a bit what a pig inspires to a Muslim. . . . . You see lots of cows and other animals in the streets of the Indian cities, but not a lot of pigs, and here, in this mostly Muslim city, I really felt it like a provocation. . .. . But it was only what I felt, I do not know how true my feeling was. . . . but the kids cared more of the foreigner with his camera than of the pig. . . . . . .

• kokoryko's Profile Photo

Strange luggage. . .

by kokoryko Written Sep 21, 2008

Looks weird. . .

Well, it is not fun, and I remember I had a thought for the family waiting for this strange luggage; yes, on the picture you see a coffin which arrived as checked-in luggage (Do not know if it was my flight). Not fun, but I found it very strange (well, it was the first time I have seen a coffin in that situation), and after a moment, I thought, well, people do as they can or feel the best way, but imagine this luggage has to travel with connecting flights, and gets stranded somewhere for some time on the tarmac of a hot sunbathed airport. . . .
    The picture is of course not very good, as I did it “hidden”, very quickly, because lots of militaries were around. . . . Just to share a strange sight.

Instant Answers: Jammu

Comments

Jammu Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Jammu local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Jammu sightseeing.