3 more images
The Seasons in Kashmir
Best thing about Kashmir is the way it transforms itself through the months of the year and looks so beautiful in every garb. Utterly romantic and enchanting!
But whatever be the season- a shikara ride on the Dal Lake is a must! And yes preferably not from the busy market place end- from the other end near the Grand Palace entrance road. Its quieter there and the Chaar Chinaar is closer from that end. It costs about Rs 200 for an hour and half and they take you to the floating veg market (nothing much there..but quite a beautiful view around sunset) and then to the Chaar Chinaar where you can have a cup of tea on a stationed houseboat. There will be salesmen peddling wares in shikaras who will come and approach your boat with shawls, saffron, trinkets, etc. Resist. The main shops in Polo View will give more authentic wares- better range and prices.Related to:
- Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
1 more image
Yusmarg -probably the best place in kashmir
Firstly when ever you visit kashmir...make sure that you should have atleast 10 days programme..kashmir is certainly not a destination for quick travles...i am sure every one has their favourites and gulmarg,sonmarg and pahalgam do top the list...beleive me they are no where compare to Yusmarg...really fail to understand why most of the tourist don,t go there...
trust me once you visit there than other places will only be felt as poor cousin...the majestic greens, view of sang-e-safed and Doodh ganga....look at my snaps ....we never plan for yusmarg but my uncle insist on yusmarg ...what a decision it was...probably it is the very best of kashmir..recommending highly to have a visitRelated to:
- Jungle and Rain Forest
GENERAL BUT VERY IMPORTANT TIPS
IF YOU ARE PLANNING FOR KASHMIR, FOLLOWING TIPS WOULD BE VERY USEFUL.
1. PLAN YOUR TRIP AROUND MID OF MARCH AS YOU WOULD GET SNOW IN ALL PLACES ( EXCEPT SHRINAGAR). ALSO YOU WOULD ENJOY OFF SEASON BENEFITS ( UPTO 40 % DISCOUNTS IN ROOM TARIFFS). IT WOULD BE BETTER IDEA TO CONTACT A LOCAL PERSON AND GET A IDEA OF SNOW IN GULMARG. AVAILABILITY OF SNOW WOULD GUIDE YOUR OVERALL EXPERIENCE OF KASHMIR.
2. IF YOU ARE NOT GOING BY ANY TOUR AND MAKING YOUR OWN ARRANGEMENTS. FOLLOWING TIPS WOULD BE FURTHER USEFUL :
3. STAY FOR AT LEAST GULMARG-2 DAYS, PHALGAON - 2DAYS. SHRINAGAR - 3 DAYS. SONMARG - 1 DAY .
4. HIRE A SUMO FOR SHRINAGAR TO SHRINAGAR FOR YOUR ENTIRE STAY . NORMALLY CHARGES 1400 - 1500 PER DAY.
5. STAY AT LEAST A DAY IN HOUSE BOAT. GO FOR A SHIKARA RIDE.
6. SHRINAGAR - AVOID STAYING AT LAL CHOK AREA. GOOD FOR SHOPPING. BARGAIN A LOT .. DISCOUNTS VARY FROM 20 - 40 %. AVOID GETTING OUT AFTER 7 PM , JUST A SUGGESTION.
7. KESHAR- WOULD GET GOOD QUALITY AT PAMPORE, BUT THE PRICES ( RS 300 PER GRAM)A BIT HIGH. BUT THE QUALITY IS ASSURED. DONT FALL IN TRAP OF CHEAP RATES FOR KESHAR.
8. PHALGAON : GO FOR HORSE RIDES. ASK THEM THAT YOU WANT TO SEE THE PLACE WHERE KING USED TO HUNT. ASK THEM TO TAKE YOU THROUGH THAT ROUTE. THOUGH NOTHING GREAT IN THAT PLACE , BUT THE ROUTE WOULD GIVE YOU DAMM GOOD EXPERIENCE..
9. GULMARG : ENJOY GANDOLA, GO TO SECOND STOP. DO LOTS OF SKYING. PLEASE NOTE PROPER PLACE FOR SKYING IS AT SKYING LIFT SIDE. ITS PROMOTED BY GOVT.
IMP - AS YOU ENTER IN GLUMARG, ON YOUR WAY TOWARDS YOUR HOTEL ( HILL TOP, HEEVAN, MUMTAZ, PINE RESORT) THERE IS A BARRIER. THESE PEOPLE WOULD STOP YOUR VEHICLE ON PRETEXT THAT ITS NOT ALLOWED TO GO FURTHER. SHOW YOUR HOTEL BOOKING TO THEM TO ENTER. ( IF YOU DONT HAVE A HOTEL BOOKING GET SOME DOCUMENTS FROM WEBSITE OF THESE HOTELS BEFORE YOU PROCEED FOR THE TOUR)
10. SONMARG - THERE IS A HOTEL TO SAY IN SONMARG. ENJOY SLEDGING.
11. REACH SHRINAGAR AIRPORT AT LEAST 2 HRS BEFORE DEPARTURE.
MATA VAISHNODEVI TEMPLE
Jai mata di. Most favaourite temple of each and every indian situated in the mighty Trikuta mountain 61 kilometres north of Jammu at a height of 5,200 feet above the sea level in the state of Jammu and Kashmir, India. Popular belief holds that anybody who walks the Himalayan trail to her abode to ask for a boon rarely goes back disappointed.There are many who journey here year after year to pay obeisance regardless of their faith or belief, creed or class, caste or religion, for Mata Vaishno Devi transcends all such barriers.
It is really holy place to visit once in a life time. A supernatural power seems to draw them through the mountain and they climb up those great heights step by step, chanting 'Prem se bolo, JAI MATA DI'. There are facilities like horse , palkhi or helicopter for old age people or who can not walk from start of mountain. (katra).
The Yatra begins at Katra and pilgrims cover 13km of terrain on foot to reach the holy Darbar. There is a common faith among the folk that Goddess-Vaishno sends a 'Call' to her devotees : and that once a person receives it, wherever he or she is, marches towards the holy shrine of the great Goddess. Howsoever difficult the passage may be : the difficult ascents, with innumerable stairs, are accomplished on foot by those who had never walked even small distances at their homes.
Best way is to start walking in the night around 10 p.m you will reach around 4 to 4.30 at temple. Just take a holy bath and stand in the que for darshana. Do not carry any leather things with you it is strictly not permitted.At around 7 a.m you will finish your darshana. Than start walking downwards for katra.
Thanks to vaishnodevi.com .
places to visit
Hi Fairy, nice to know tht you are visiting kashmir, i am also from that place & software engineer working in other indian city, i will give you all the needed information & suggestions, mail me on firstname.lastname@example.org -Related to:
- Theme Park Trips
4 more images
Gulmarg is suppose to be a 1.5 hr ride from the Srinagar airport. That's until you are hit with two big trucks negotiating a nerve wrecking curve in 1 m deep snow. Ignorance is never blissful in this instance as the barriers on the road flanking the deep ravines are fully buried under the snow. One false step and it's SOS.
Our lives are literally in the hands of the driver who seem to drive very much by intuition. Finally we reached Gulmarg the ski resort after a gruelling 3.5 hr drive. Here we see white snow as beautiful as Snow White literally. I doubt if you can find snow whiter than Kashmir's.
Don't miss the sleigh ride down the slope. Now exactly at Olympic speeds but enough thrills and spills to beat any roller coaster.
Probably among the cheapest place to ski in the world.Related to:
- National/State Park
- Skiing and Boarding
- Family Travel
State of Jammu and Kashmir Hotels
Spic and Span is really the best hotel one can stay in. At least the manager was courteous enough to...more
They rate it 5*, my rating would be 2.7. there are better place to stay. and they charge a hefty...more
Gulmarg, Gulmarg, 193403, IN
Good for: Business
Top State of Jammu and Kashmir Hotels
- Plenty of choices
- Agoda.com Save up to 75%, Don't miss! Live support, Instant confirmation.
- Save up to 50% off Hotels Everyday
- Expedia.com Photos, Reviews and the Guaranteed Lowest Prices
Explore the World
- Mellifont Abbey Hotels
- Seni Gueye Hotels
- Le Havre
- Basse-Normandie Hotels
- Bradenton Beach Hotels
- Isola di Linosa