Bangalore Warnings and Dangers

by cochinjew
    a garden in the evening,a
    by Manyana

Best Rated Warnings and Dangers in Bangalore

• An awful international airport, the departure hall

by pangtidor Updated Apr 6, 2007

The last time I visited Bangalore was June-July 2006 and the airport was under construction.I am not sure if the new airport has been opened yet or not and wonder how the things are working on there for the services.The thing I still remember for the Bangalore Airport is such an awful one.The boarding gate for the departure hall is only one and the prority will be British Airways only!!It was a disaster for us on that time whereas other 2flights actually scheduled 2-3hours ahead from British Airways and we have to wait for its boarding.The waiting room at the departure area is really dirty.I wonder why it was qualified for an international airport.While we were boarding in, an airport crew was running and screaming along the line to ask if there was a doctor among passengers because a crew was fainted.OH MY GOD!it means there is no medical service inside the airport!!!

• Bangalore International Airport, Arrival Hall

by pangtidor Updated Dec 20, 2006

Bangalore International Airport is still under construction and will be done within 2008 so prepare yourself for an awful arrival area.You have to fill the embarcation card and be on the line at the immigration section.Such a dirty stands to write on!!After that just follow the direction to collect your baggage.From there your baggage will be scanned by the customs officers.Watch out with them!!!It seems to me they are intimidating the women travellers and foreigners.They are really rude and can not speak English mostly.I dont know if it is really the way for them to speak in a loud voice and unsmiling face.I believe they could take some of your baggages if they want to.Be rude too and yell at them when they do that.It works.:-))I observed their attitude to other passengers, it is all the same.It is really crowded there.It will be small space around custom area, crowded with the seats and people so just be careful with your belongings.You can see money exchange service just beside the custom scanning area will be opened 24hours.For your own safety, riding with the prepaid taxi will be better though it is more expensive from the airport.It will be on your left side after the customs area.You can see the sign there.

• Women's Travel
    • Singles

• People Push Others On the Line

by pangtidor Written Dec 20, 2006

Be careful when you have to stand on the line or passing by a crowded area.The lines on the airport and some public areas seem to be fine.You may fine people will be queueng with some lines on a section, avoid it, they tend to push each other back with the hands or elbows.Queue to a calm single line.:-)).
    When you pass by or be in a crowded area, you will experience the same thing.People will push each other back and rushy.

• Women's Travel
    • Singles

• Tijavi's Profile Photo

Traffic jams galore!

by Tijavi Written Aug 16, 2004

MG Road on a SUNDAY morning!

My last trip to Bangalore prior to my most recent one was two years ago. Back then, I was smitten by the city's charm, thanks to its pleasant climate, beautiful green surroundings, and the ease with which one could have intelligent discussions with almost anybody on the streets.

Those wonderful traits are still there when I returned to the city recently in July 2004. But what struck me most, this time, was the city's horrible traffic jams, which made it painfully impossible to transit quickly around the city. I wouldn't have minded if I were there for leisure, but if you're on a business trip with a tight schedule, every second counts (i.e., I love to spend more time exploring the city!).

I wish the government (or civil society) could do something about the traffic jams in Bangalore. I'm glad that they have started to get moving on the new airport project (but I wouldn't be surprised if the project gets stalled along the way). Now, it's time to focus on the traffic, please.

I still love Bangalore despite the traffic jams, but I could not say the same for other visitors.

• ChuckG's Profile Photo

Beware the customs guys !

by ChuckG Updated Jun 12, 2003

WARNING !!!

When I arrived in Bangalore last June, I had 5 huge white cross on my big suitcase...they scanned my suitcase 3 different times and marked on a paper the electronics (CD player, camera, computer) that was inside, I found this very suspicious.

Last time I was in India, I had a full suitcase stolen at customs, so this time I was watching them carefully.

After they took inventory of the electronics in my suitcase, they sent me to an office where a guy in uniform asked me how much money I would give him (to keep my stuff).

I told him, very angry, that I have been often (well...!) to Bangalore and that he would not get a single rupee...

He looked quite surprised but let me go !

Don't let them steal you !!!!

ChuckG

• ChuckG's Profile Photo

Water and Ice...

by ChuckG Updated Mar 16, 2003

Ice Cube Memory

Everyone will tell you...if you are not from India avoid non-bottled water. Ask for bottled water in restaurant (safe) and resist water fountain. What I forgot was to also think "NO ICE" if ordering a drink in a bar.

Next think I knew, I got stomach cramps for the next 4 weeks (and I'm not kidding !)

Those ice cube were cursed !!

• Big Mosquitoes

by Manyana Written Sep 2, 2004

a garden in the evening,a

Bangalore is a cool rainy area. Mosquitoes are really big but it is NOT a malaria-zone.
    If you're allergic to mosquitoes, use anti-repellent or body cream.
    I was overwhelmed by the number of mosquitoes when first I arrived at the airport. Just be prepared, but nothing to worry.

• Jungle and Rain Forest
    • School Holidays

• Dealing with customs

by dkothari Updated Jul 26, 2007

I noticed someone had written a warning about customs. Having travelled to India since I was 8, I've noticed the key to dealing with customs is to be unwilling to give them any money. Once they know that you are unwilling to bribe them, they ease up. If they give you a hard time on anything, just tell them to write the items on your passport and they can check that you have them when you go back.

• BonnieVictoria's Profile Photo

Please beware of Three Wheelers!! Part II

by BonnieVictoria Written Oct 27, 2005

... If you insist to go on meter for your ride, those clever autodrivers will bring you for a joyride around town before you reach your destination... the fare, of course, again will be easily 50% more than normal ... well... What you should do is to negotiate a flat rate for the ride.. Assuming that you know roughly (find out from locals) how much it'll cost to go from point A to point B... just top up 10 - 20 rupees, your autodriver will be more than happy . And do not be alarmed that he suddenly know how to use the shortest route, you will experience new scenes cutting through alleys and byways plus you save plenty of time too!! Do this.. save yourself from being cuckooded!!

• TOURIST SOUVENIRS, WHERE TO BUY IT?

by edwin_r Written Feb 20, 2010

I almost got scammed at a shop on M.G. Road - the place tried to sell me a ceramic box for Rs4500. I knew something was wrong from the way the fella tried to hardsell to me.

I left and walked further up the street to 144 M.G Road Central Cottage Industries Emporia
    Phone : +91-80-25584083, 25584084 and found the exact same thing for Rs500! - a Rs4000 difference!

The Central Cottage Industries Emporia is government owned run with the Ministry of Textiles and you can be assured that the prices are the cheapest.

Apparently, taxi drivers will try to send you to shops other than the government owned one because they get 10-20% commission. Don't get fooled - Make sure you see the sign CENTRAL COTTAGE INDUSTRIES 144 M.G. ROAD - then you know you're in safe hands!

Don't get scammed! EVER!

• cochinjew's Profile Photo

Airport Food

by cochinjew Written Dec 19, 2007

Paramount Airlines Vegetarian Food

While the western airlines have stopped serving food on their flights, their Asian counterparts continue to pamper their passengers with food on their flights.
    In India,the food varies from INEDIBLE (air India Express, why do they serve that garbage at all?) to delicious ( Paramount Airways ). The service is usually very good, and plenty of food to eat and also lots of water and tea

• traceyspacey's Profile Photo

Getting into the Domestic Terminal

by traceyspacey Written Feb 3, 2008

We had a large gap between our connecting flights. We arrived from Bangkok to Bangalore and were waiting for our connecting flight to Goa. You are not allowed in the domestic terminal until hours before your flight, despite how cold you might be. Fortunately members of Kingfisher airline who we were not flying with took pity on us and got us through security 4 hours before our flight. We warned another traveler of this, who did not listen and she had the same problem.

• cochinjew's Profile Photo

be ready for chaos at the airport

by cochinjew Written Apr 12, 2007

When I left Yangon I had arrived in Bangalore in south India and I never felt I was in India, the commotion and the misery all seemed outside of me, for my heart was firmly back in Myanmar. It felt that I was passing through a scenery in which I was not a part. Bangalore is crowded, dusty and the people especially the younger ones who frequent the central district, noticeably unfriendly. The visual landscape of humanity is somewhat interesting because of the beautiful dark skinned maidens with long flowing black hairs and especially by the abundance of the indo Tibetan speaking peoples of the North East who walk around as if they don’t fit into the place at all. But it is a not a place for a tourist, there are not enough attractions nearby.
    The arrival hall of the airport is chaotic, several officials demanding various types of papers, I blissfully ignore them and walk past them to be thrown into the throng of people waiting for the arriving passengers from all parts of the globe, who can be identified by the bulging suitcases ( middle east, goodies for the family ) and the pseudo sophisticates ( the professional who had emigrated to the west, enough money but no style ) and humble parents glad to be back after visiting their off springs in far away lands.
    The taxi drivers like everywhere else are out to get you and that they do. Just pay me the meter fare, a cunning bald head said, and when we got into his car we realize, it was not a taxi and had no meter in it and the price was fixed on the spot at an exorbitant rate. By then the luggage was in, the car had left the airport premises and the pain of looking for a proper taxi was not worth it. The baldheaded Tamil speakier can add another foreigner to his Sucker’s List.. Be foreigner and get hit for double….

• castorp75's Profile Photo

Pushy autorickshaw drivers

by castorp75 Updated May 4, 2007

Bangalore is full of underemployed autorickshaw drivers.
    It is strange but there are two types of them.
    The first type will use the meter and you don't even have to struggle too hard for it.
    The second type, however, will give you a ridiculously good price provided you accept that he will take you to some emporiums. Don't fall for this. Even if they tell you that you don't have to buy anything. First of all, he will get a commission even if you spend 15 minutes in the emporium without buying anything but he will take you from emporium to emporium until you buy something expensive. And secondly, it is very tiring and disappointing to go from emporium to emporium just to turn down the shop owners' offers all of the time. You can spend your precious time better than that.
    If you run into an autorickshaw driver belonging to the second type, get out of his vehicle ASAP and catch a first type rickshaw. You will feel much better and even in the worst case, you don't have to wait more than 10 minutes for an honest driver.

• worshik's Profile Photo

Mind your own business

by worshik Written Jul 8, 2003

Dont try to do something silly with the locals.

Beware of Auto drivers.They can cheat you in any manner.First ask the hotel reception or any passerby the approx fare for the place of u r trave.Then tell the auto driver to turn the meter on.Dont board the auto without first clearing the rates.

Beware of pick pocketers.They can vanish in seconds.

Dont offer anything to beggars and street children

Instant Answers: Bangalore

Comments

Bangalore Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Bangalore warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bangalore sightseeing.