The fortified ruins of Hyder Ali and Tipu Sultan's capital, from where they ruled most of southern India can still be seen today. The bastions and turreted parapets were constructed by French engineers employed by Tipu. The gates are the most splendid features and these include the Mysore Gate and Elephant Gate to the south and Bangalore Gate, near the mosque, to the east.
This sacred temple was built by a Ganga chieftain called Tirumalaraja in 894 and was later expanded by the Hoysalas, Vijayanagara monarchs, Mysore Wodeyars and Hyder Ali. The presiding deity is a colossal statue of Lord Vishnu as Ranganatha, reclining on the huge coils of the seven-headed serpent Sesha. The main entrance has four pillars of the Vijayanagara period sculpted with the 24 forms of Vishnu.
This monument was erected by the Government of Mysore in 1907 to commemorate the Siege of Srirangapatna by the British Forces under Lieutenant General G. Harris and its final capture by assault on the 4th May 1799. It contains the names of the officers who fell during the siege and can be found in the far northwest point of the fort, overlooking the river.
This temple is found just a short distance, south-east of the main Ranganathaswamy Temple. It houses a 7 ft high image of Ugra Narasimha made of black stone which is believed to be the best of its kind in the state.
Built by Tipu Sultan, near the Bangalore Gate in the eastern part of the fort, in 1787, this mosque was used regularly for worship by him. The mosque is of magnificent proportions with two beautiful and majestic minarets adorned with exquisite floral cornices and parapets.
During the Fourth Mysore War, the British laid siege to Srirangapatna on the 4th May 1799 and effectively breached the Fort at Watergate. On hearing of this storming of the enemy, Tipu moved to the spot and, in the fight, was killed by a bullet of a British soldier. It was at this spot where his body fell and was recovered amidst heaps of other dead soldiers. In recognition of Tipu, Colonel Wellesley set a stone tablet to mark the spot. This can be found at the northern ramparts near Water Gate.
Daria Daulat means "the wealth of the sea" but is often referred to as the Summer Palace of Tipu Sultan. Built in 1787, it stands in the middle of a beautiful garden near the river about 1km from the east gate. Each of its four sides has three arched openings in the centre and the whole palace is surrounded by a pillared verandah. The east and west walls of the verandah are covered with murals displaying scenes of battle, one of which illustrates Haidar Ali's victory over the British at Pollilur in 1780. They are really amazing but it’s such a shame you can't take photos of them. The palace, today, holds a museum with paintings, maps and Tipu memorabilia on display.
About 3km east of town is this beautiful tomb complex which was built by Tipu Sultan in 1784 for his parents. It enshrines the cenotaphs of his father, Hyder Ali, his wife Fakr-Un-Nisa and himself following his death in 1799. It is built on a stone plinth, with polished black granite pillars that run along the corridor around the inner chamber and is topped by a magnificent dome. The doors, made out of ebony and ivory, were a gift from the viceroy, Lord Dalhousie in 1855. The other tombs dotted throughout the garden are of Tipu's relatives.
constructed in 1787 AD during tipus reign.tipu offered the first namaz conducted here.
it is dominated by two minarets which have 200 steps each and can give good view of the surrounding fort.
fine persian and arabic inscriptions are seen.
formed by confluence of two tributaries of cauvery. the paschimvahini or the west tributary and the one to the north.
both these tributaries confluence at the sangam.
a shiva lingam can be seen on the rock promonotories in the river.
it is a place of religious significance and in hindu custom the ashes after funeral are immersed in the holy river.
you can find a number of coracles thro which the urns of the ashes are taken to the sangam and immersed.
located at the eastern end of the island close to the sangam is the gumbaz or tipus mausoleum.it was built by tipu between 1782 and 1784 for his parents.as fate would have it tipu wa himself buries here in 1799 AD.it is a square tomb chamber with corridors having black pillars of stone.there is a dome on top built of brickwork.the windows are carved stone with inlay work of ivory.there is a mosque adjacent built in mughal style.
the gumbaz is surrounded by fine gardens. on the lawns lie many graves with tombstones some having descriptions.the overall mood is sombre.at the end of pathway leading to the tomb shoes have to be removed and deposited with the custodian near entrabce in return u will receive a token .after ur visit u can collect the shoes and amke a small payment maybe just INR 1.00 per pair of shoes/slippers.so please carry some change with you.outside the monuments there will be parking charges ranging from INR 10-INR30. there are no entrance fees,
built of mainly teakwood this indo islamic structure with a vast courtyard in front and huge trees in the surrounding areas makes an important historical stop.since the palace is now converted into museum many relics of the ages gone by can be seen here alongwith dramatic murals an old paintings and pictures.the pillars are lotus shaped.a corridor runs along four sides.the upper storey forms an inner floor with two canopied balconies.there are two audience halls.there are four staircases concealed in partition walls.the same pattern is adopted for tipus palace in bangalore.buolding draws inspiration from palace at sira built by dilawar khan.large amount of wood has been used in construction.outer walls have battle murals while the inner walls have floral motifs ceilings have canvas which is painted over.
On the 4th of May 1799 A.D., pushed back by the storming troops Tippu moved along the second wall and descending from it near the Watergate tried to enter the town through the second gate.
50 meters to the east of Watergate, inside the second fort line, is said to have stood another gateway which led through the inner eastern wall, which was constructed by Tippu Sultan inside the second line.
tipu found the gate closed.
Meanwhile the British troops who crossed over to the third wall came along, descended into the town and entered the gate from inside. Then Tipu was stuck between the two advancing English forces.
Fighting, he fell down wounded. When the British officers tried to trace the body of Tipu, his dying private secretary pointed to place where his master lay under a heap of the dead. Tipu's body was easily identified since his face had not been disfigured and since he had worn a well-known talisman. The body was yet warm and was removed to the palace for the night.
It is found that the inner fortification was razed to the ground by Col. Wellesley. Now there is a Stone Tablet erected stating "THE BODY OF TIPPU SULTAN WAS FOUND HERE"
srirangapatna takes its name from the celebrated sri ranganathaswamy temple which lies in centre of the town.it is one of the most important places of vaishnavaite pilgrimage in south india.
it was built in 9the century bt the ganga rulers and then subsequently improved upon in the 12th centrury thus this temple is a fusion of hoysala and vijaynagar style of architecture.
Tradition holds that all the islands formed in the Kaveri River are consecrated to Sri Ranganathaswamy, and large temples have been built in very ancient times dedicated to that deity on the three largest islands. These three towns, which constitute the main pilgrimage centers dedicated to Ranganathaswamy, are:
Adi Ranga - at Srirangapattana
Madhya Ranga - at Shivanasamudra
Antya Ranga - at Srirangam
inside the sanctum sanctorum lies the reclining single stone carved idol of vishnu.it is a bliss to see this incarnation.
it makes one wonder how this amazing masterpiece was executed in 9th century when modern tools of construction were not available.especially the arrangement of huge stone pillars makes u wonder