Kochi Off The Beaten Path

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Kochi

Athirappilly Waterfalls Kerala by aussirose

by aussirose Updated Apr 18, 2014
    Athirappilly Waterfalls Kerala by aussirose

If you like waterfalls and nice mountain scenery, then hire an air-con taxi for the day and visit Athirappilly Waterfalls. We went there on a round about trip on the way to the airport as our flight was late at night and we had a day to kill.

Even a bit of rain did not hinder us from getting these nice pictures. Our driver found a nice restaurant with a view to kill and we sat and enjoyed some hot chips, nice tea and a play with our cameras. Athirappilly Waterfalls is well worth a visit.

Link to Shopping tips - Cheap and Expensive

• National/State Park
    • Birdwatching

Alleppey for Golden Sand Beaches

by aussirose Written Apr 14, 2014
    Alleppey Beach Kerala India by aussirose

Alleppey south of Kochi has lovely Golden Sand Beaches. Having said that, in Australia we are spoilt for beaches and I was faced with a dilemma when choosing accommodation. As you already know, I ended up booking us into a resort in Kumerakom and I am glad that we stayed there instead of Alleppey.

So I gave up accommodation near a beach in Alleppey. Still, I am glad that we did a day trip here and got to see the beaches that I may have regretted missing out on ;o) If you do plan to stay in Alleppey, then anywhere near Thumpoly Beach would be better than Alleppey Lighthouse Beach in my opinion. That is because Thumpoly Beach is less busy. Anyone that knows me.... knows I like my laid back secluded beaches :o)

• Beaches
    • Adventure Travel

Visit the Backwaters and Famous Rice Boats

by aussirose Updated Apr 13, 2014
    Backwaters of Kumerakom by aussirose

The gorgeous backwaters of Kerala is the reason why we came to India. Our trip consisted of a few days in Fort Kochi and a few days in Kumerakom. Kumerakom is the home of the backwaters so that is where we took this boat ride.

If you cannot make it to spend a few days in Kumerakom, then you will be able to organise a trip from your accommodation in Fort Kochi.

You cannot miss this! I highly recommend it. Check out the full story on my Kumerakom page.

• Adventure Travel
    • Sailing and Boating

• BlueLlama's Profile Photo

by BlueLlama Written Mar 30, 2008

Indo-Portuguese Museum

I've listed this under 'Off the Beaten Path' as this museum is sadly largely ignored by visitors. When I enquired about going, I was told that it wasn't really worth the visit. What a shame; I'm so glad I ignored the advice because the Indo-Portuguese Museum is a great little museum, quite obviously maintained with love and care.

The Portuguese had a significant influence in Kochi (Cochim in Portuguese), and if you have any interest in that at all, the museum is instructive. It was quite special to see the religious objects that make up the bulk of the collection, so familar to anyone who's been in any part of the world with a Portuguese connection, in this place that is so far away from Lisbon.

The collection is largely composed on highly colourful altar pieces, statues of a multitude of saints and related religious imagery, but there is also good information on the Portuguese in Kerala. It's a small museum, linked to Lisbon's Gulbenkian Foundation, and is housed in a very pretty villa away from the bustling centre of Kochi. Appropriately for the subject, there is a real sense of calm, and the displays are artfully done.

The guestbook reveals that most of the visitors and indeed Portuguese and I found it quite touching to see the reconnection of these cultures. Eu adorei este museu!

• Museum Visits

• cochinjew's Profile Photo

Adivasi, the original inhabitants of Kerala

by cochinjew Written Apr 4, 2007

As a person, who has a professional interest in the lives of Indigenous peoples of the world, it was emotional and gratifying for me to meet Adivasi or the Original people or the Forest People of Kerala. I will write a separate travelogue about this remarkable encounter in the forests near Athira pilly about two hours by car from cochin

• PierreZA's Profile Photo

Toddy

by PierreZA Updated Mar 27, 2007

Toddy Bar

Toddy bars can be found in and around Kochi. Liquor made from coconut palm is served here. It is best to ask a local to accompany you to one of these. It is not particularly easy on the palate, but a nice way of mixing with the locals.

• Attend a huge local fair (February) at ALUVA

by nene_soberman Written Aug 8, 2005

If you happen to be in Kochi sometime in the second half of Febraury, you're in time for ALUVA SHIVARATRI. It's a sacred day for Hindus. Take a local bus to ALUVA, and head for the sand banks of ALUVA RIVER.

If you're into photograpghy, you will LOVE it.

P.S. Careful about your belongings. Expect a huge crowd.

• Festivals

• aukjejetty's Profile Photo

Old Chinese Fishing Nets

by aukjejetty Updated Jan 9, 2004

Chinese Fishingnet

Along the harbour of Cochin there are these huge nets which they lower into the water and then lift up. These are Chinese fishing nets. These nets are like a trademark of the island.

Try to buy some fresh fish from the fishermen. We bought some fish and ask the owner of a small restaurant to cook it for us.

• SirRichard's Profile Photo

The tiles of the synagogue

by SirRichard Updated Nov 14, 2002

If you visit the Synagogue, don't miss the chinese hand painted tiles on the floor. There are no 2 tiles alike!!

Instant Answers: Kochi

Comments

Kochi Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Kochi off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kochi sightseeing.