Periyar Sanctuary Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Periyar Sanctuary

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Photographs

by suvanki Updated Jun 24, 2008

Although I didn't experience any problems, one of our party was made to feel uneasy taking photos in Kumily. Earlier he'd been hassled for money, and anticipated the same happening here.

There happened to be a parade/visit from a tourism dignitary at the time. As there were TV cameras filming the events, I decided it would be OK to take pics from a distance, with my long lens.

As usual, ask permission if taking photos of people, and respect their wishes if they refuse or look uncomfortable.

Photo opp, Kumily, Kerala
    • National/State Park

• BlueLlama's Profile Photo

Kumily shops: Make sure you don't pay twice!

by BlueLlama Updated Jun 12, 2007

After finally deciding a price for a statue in one of the Kumily shops, it then took almost an hour to pay. Going from shop to shop (the shopkeepers all seem to be related or otherwise connected.), we tried various credit card machines without (apparent) success. On returning to the UK, however, I found that I had in fact paid twice. Luckily my bank refunded me, but I can't say whether you would always be so lucky.

I don't know whether this was a genuine error due to poor telephone lines or a con; either way it wasn't a pleasant surprise.

I won't name the shops concerned as I don't know whether this was a scam, and am very happy with the statue, but do pay with cash if at all possible or make sure you see that any incomplete card transactions are cancelled. Don't be put off the shops, just be careful!

• gonzo747's Profile Photo

Monkeys and food

by gonzo747 Written Mar 9, 2007

The monkeys at the lunchspot at the sanctuary are good thiefs. Always keep an eye on your food. The smallest change they get they wil go for it.

Looking for a way to get my food

Instant Answers: Periyar Sanctuary

Comments

Periyar Sanctuary Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Periyar Sanctuary warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Periyar Sanctuary sightseeing.

View all Periyar Sanctuary hotels