Thiruvananthapuram Warnings and Dangers

Red sky at night - warning or delight?
    by SabrinaSummerville
  • Unsuitable attire for sightseeing in Trivandrum
    Unsuitable attire for sightseeing in...
    by suvanki
    HUngry little b*ggers
    by grets

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Thiruvananthapuram

Busy Roads!

by suvanki Updated May 3, 2008

It can be quite a shock, after spending time in a resort like Kovalam, to be faced with the volume of traffic hurtling around Trivandrum.

Crossing MG road and similar can be quite an experience.
    I did witness a few accidents, (cars colliding ) during my day there, and passing through at the beginning of our Spice Route Tour.

Handicrafts..... "forced " selling

Sandalwood carving of Ganesh

After an enjoyable visit to the Handicraft Centre (see Must See tip) we visited the temple then went for lunch.

Afterwards we were driven to a shop, which sold antiques, good quality crafts, jewellery etc. The owner was the man that we'd seen earlier at the handicraft centre. Now although we weren't unduly pressurised to buy goods, we did feel a bit awkward....The goods were of excellent quality, but out of my price range.

If you're looking for quality gifts I'd recommend this place though.

It's something that I've encountered a few times on my travels, on organised tours where there's "an arrangement" to bring tourists to a shop.

Our group were all in agreement that we'd rather have given money directly to the craftsmen at the Handicraft centre.

• Luxury Travel

Clothing!

by suvanki Updated May 3, 2008

Unsuitable attire for sightseeing in Trivandrum

I visited Trivandrum as part of a small guided tour from Kovalam. Most of our party were wearing shorts ( mainly of long, Bermuda style) and t shirts. So fairly decent.

We received quite a few disparaging looks and a few hisses and comments.

So, no sleeveless tops, shorts or jeans, especially in the vicinity of Temples etc.

Trivandrum can become very hot and humid, loose cotton clothing is advisable, and is easily available here or in Kovalam.

A salwar kameez in cotton may be considered for women.

See My Kovalam warnings for related tips.

• Women's Travel

• SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

When is a Bomb not a Bomb?

by SabrinaSummerville Written Jul 20, 2006

Red sky at night - warning or delight?

On our first night in Trivandrum my Mother woke me with a start. She was terrified. She told me that war had broken out during the night and that bombs were going off across the water.

I got out of bed and looked out the window to see what she was talking about. I could hear explosions and see flashes from them across the backwater on which our hotel was built.

The hotel was remote and I figured there was nothing much we could do so I encouraged my Mum to go back to sleep.

Next morning all seemed peaceful as we went to breakfast. On enquiring at the Hotel we were told that these were indeed explosions but had nothing whatsoever to do with war. These are offerings to the Gods. As the locals cannot afford exotic or expensive offerings, they pay for gunpowder explosions to be set off as a mark of worship.

It was a rrlief to find out the truth, but gosh it was terrifying at the time!!!!

• Photography
    • Eco-Tourism

• girikannat's Profile Photo

Travelling through isolated areas

by girikannat Updated Feb 17, 2006

While exploring the city, it is advisable to avoid travelling in isolated areas during night. There have been incidents of tourists been attacked and robbed off their belongings. And while hiring taxi or auto-rickshaw (3-wheeler vehicle which could carry 3 passengers, cheaper than car), it's better to take the option of pre-paid travelling, if available, as this could prevent being cheated by the taxi/rickshaw drivers. In most part of Kerala, unlike other places in India, taxi drivers don't charge against meter reading. Instead, one has to reach at a fare rate after negotiating with the driver before starting the journey. So if the vehicle is hired from a pre-paid taxi center (most places like airport, railway station have them), the fare is decided on the distance and one will get the receipt.

• Trivandrum rail way station

by kpoocha Written Oct 6, 2005

some guys may approach you for the taxy or riksha while you come out of the train, they willbe just behind you , but dont answer them and ignore them completly , just out side the stationthere is a trafic police post with pre paid riksha you can use them which may cause youless than half of what these guys charge you , and then they willtry to take you to there own hotels , so that they can get more than 20-30% of what you pay for your room.

• ushar's Profile Photo

Trivandrum Central Railway Station

by ushar Updated Aug 28, 2005

When u get down at Thapanoor ( TVM Central ) railway station beware of few tthings
    1. Pick-pockets
    2. When u come out of the platform to main entrence lot of taxi wallahs and three wheeler drives will come for help and ask where to go etc.. never jump on to this..
    U only take the prepaid taxis/ three wheelers.
    (this rule applicable for air port tooo)..
    3. When u r travelling around the TVM city make sure abt fixing rate \ meter reading before sitting inside the vechicle ....never leave a loose end about the rates..( u mgt end up paying a lot..)

• grets's Profile Photo

Unwanted train passengers

by grets Written Dec 15, 2004

HUngry little b*ggers

During our journey from Trivandrum to Bangalore on the train, we shared a compartment with some uninvited and unwelcome creatured: mosquitoes.

David felt very itchy towards the end of the journey and when we got to the hotel in Bangalore and he took his shirt off, we could see why. He was absolutely covered in bites!

Moral of the story? Make sure you are thoroughly protected against mosquito bites on the train!

Instant Answers: Thiruvananthapuram

Comments

Thiruvananthapuram Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Thiruvananthapuram warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Thiruvananthapuram sightseeing.

View all Thiruvananthapuram hotels