Khajuraho Favorites

Best Rated Favorites in Khajuraho

• kenmerk's Profile Photo

Kingfisher's Under the Starry Khajuraho Sky...

by kenmerk Written Dec 20, 2004

The Pause that Refreshes....

Favorite thing: After the bumpy dusty death defying 5 hour hayride on the bus from Orchha, nothing looked quite so good on the menu in Khajuraho as a big bottle of cold Kingfisher beer....

Of course, though, I would have ordered the same thing even if I had jetted in here first class... (See,,, there are some universally "Good" things in life, afterall...)

Sculptures of Khajuraho - Erotica 1

by illumina Written Apr 9, 2010

Favorite thing: The erotica is probably the single most famous aspect of the Khajuraho temples. Some scholars believe it to be a 'kama sutra in stone' - a guide for boys brought up all-male temple schools. Another theory is that they are there to protect the temples from lightning, since the rain god Indra enjoyed voyeurism and wouldn't want them destroyed. The theory currently considered the most plausible is that they relate to Tantrism, where the gratification of sensual desires is a way to achieve transcendance.

This couple clearly show a joyous celebration of this aspect of life.

• GenuinelyCurious's Profile Photo

Get a good guide

by GenuinelyCurious Written Apr 30, 2008

Favorite thing: There's only so much you can figure out on your own. I've made the mistake many times of trying to puzzle it out with a guide book since there are so many scammers whose only knowledge IS from those books.

But if you ask questions and they sound informed and intelligent, bargain for your best price - it's a small price to pay for going all that way and not missing the point...

Fondest memory: My guide came up to me in the primary temples and offered to show me around the western group. I must have showed my skepticism because he gave me a half hour 'freebie' tour that really did open my eyes, including this image of royal lovers and their attendants.

Sculptures of Khajuraho - Erotica 3

by illumina Written Apr 9, 2010

Favorite thing: When the temples of Khajuraho were rediscovered in the 19th century by a British officer, TS Burt, he was quite shocked, and apparently described the carvings as being 'a little warmer' than necessary!

Looking at this depiction of what appears to be bestiality, one can sympathise!

Sculptures of Khajuraho - Apsaras 1

by illumina Updated Apr 9, 2010

Favorite thing: One of the most beautiful elements of the Khajuraho statuary is the depiction of women in what is probably every-day life. There are a number of activities which are repeated - here you can see women painting their feet, probably with henna. A suggestion for the first one is that she is removing a thorn from her foot, but I think it is possible to see the paintbrush in her hand.

Sculptures of Khajuraho - Erotica 2

by illumina Written Apr 9, 2010

Favorite thing: The Kama Sutra continues - a wide variety of positions are on display across the temple walls! Here you can see the carnal act being performed from behind, a 'reverse cowgirl' (!), a 69 position, fellatio, and a foursome!

Sculptures of Khajuraho - Apsaras 6

by illumina Written Apr 9, 2010

Favorite thing: But the daily life of women obviously wasn't just confined to decoration (no, really!). There are also some beautiful sculptures representing motherhood, and even an intellectual side, shown by the writing of letters.

Very Memorable

by keeweechic Written Jan 6, 2007

Favorite thing: Khajuraho was personally very memorable for me, not just for the awesome temples and carvings but for the lesser acknowledged treasures, the people. I arrived in Khajuraho with a cold that had been persisting for some 4 days. With everything being fast paced, there had been no chance to find a pharmacy to get myself anything. On approaching the temples I saw a small shop with a pharmacy symbol. As soon as the tour of the temples was over, I headed there to get myself something that would help. The shop was small and service was obtained from the street from a man sitting behind the counter. I explained with no problem what I wanted and he seemed to understand. He offered a couple of different tabs of tablets and I settled more on one that had the word ‘cold’ in it. Nothing came in boxes or packets, it was sold by the strip. Back in the bus I struggled to read the minute instructions on the back before taking any. After an hour or more of more sightseeing we were back in our hotel for what was to be a leisurely afternoon. I did something I rarely do during day light hours, I went out like a light and think I can only blame the medication for the sudden enforced sleep.

Wandering On My Own

by keeweechic Written Jan 6, 2007

Favorite thing: After an hour I was awake and bright as a button, feeling a lot better and ready to take on the town of Khajuraho. The hotel, as lovely as it appeared, was right out in the middle of nowhere. Much to the amazement of the others I was with, I was prepared to walk into town and do some quiet solo investigating. Instructions from the hotel was to turn left out of the hotel and walk to the corner, turning right in the direction of the town. However previously our bus had gone right into town so in case I had been misunderstood I decided to take the route of the bus and turn right. It was 39C in the early afternoon and enroute on this quiet country road I was only occasionally passed by the odd motorbike or small rattley old truck. Stares of course were by this stage not even given a second thought although after walking a good half an hour or more I was beginning to think that maybe this was not the smartest idea I had had especially after being approached by 3 youths on a motorbike saying they would like to be my friend then added, more than a friend. After waving them off with a dismal, they disappeared. This was indeed countryside. The land was flat with rocky outcrops in the distance. Water buffalo wallowed in small pools of water while cows slept off the effects of the heat of the day. Finally to my relief, as I rounded a corner, I saw the tops of the temples and the beginnings of the town.

The Local Village

by keeweechic Written Jan 6, 2007

Favorite thing: My young friend had offered to show me through his village which lay behind the shops. While we walked I asked questions. He was a student and in his holiday and leisure time he tried to take tourists to various stores and admitted that he was given a commission to do this. I found his honesty refreshing and while I was willing, I had no problem in him doing this.

An Unforgettable Shopping Experience

by keeweechic Written Jan 6, 2007

Favorite thing: At the end of our informal tour I said I should probably be heading back to my hotel and asked for a rickshaw. He asked if he could accompany me and if we could stop by his Uncles place on the way back. I had no problem with that and we set off on a very short trip to a shop not far from my hotel. Again the lights were all off until we walked in. It was a reasonably sized store selling carpets, material, scarves and other crafts. I spent a little time over pashmina’s both for myself and a friend and got into some negotiations with one of the staff. While deciding, a tall slim man all dressed in a white traditional outfit came up to me and started making comments to me that certainly got my attention. Things he said to me during my time there could not have ever been known by anyone there or even been a haphazard guess. He called me aside outside to tell me something which he didn’t want anyone else to hear. I was blown away. The time frame he was talking about in my life and events could never have been guess work. His nephew, my young guide, told me that he did not do this with everyone and just every now and then he singled someone out. My time was short as I needed to get back to the hotel. I promised to come back if I could for this man to give me a further reading (when the power had come back on and it was cooler). My young friend put me on the back of his motorbike which was parked there and sped me off to my hotel and promised to come back at 6.00 pm to pick me up.

• travelwise217's Profile Photo

Pandava Waterfalls

by travelwise217 Written Aug 13, 2008

Fondest memory: Situated at about 2 km from the small town of Sanquelim and 8 km from Bicholim, in Valpoi taluka, North Goa, the Aravalem waterfalls are 50mts high. The Arvalem Waterfall is also a very scenic and beautiful picnic spot.

The Rudreshwar temple is also located here just besides the waterfall. One can reach the beautiful waterfall by descending the staircase after leaving the Rudreshwar temple. The best time to visit the place is after the monsoons. The water flow here during the monsoon is quite less. It has a lot of greenery all round with fruit laden trees with various fruits such as bananas, bread fruits and coconut palms to name a few.

Seasoned swimmers are often tempted once they reach the area. The ancient caves situated nearby known as the Aravalem caves or the Pandava caves is another major attraction in the place for the filmmakers as a favourite shooting spot in Goa.

Enjoying The Local Life

by keeweechic Written Jan 6, 2007

Favorite thing: This was a very different welcome than we had all had earlier in the day. When the tour bus turned up, we were swamped by venders and again when leaving the temples to walk to the bus. Most were very aggressive including an old woman who I was pretty much fighting off with the garland of flowers she was trying to sell me by shoving over my head. She was a feisty thing and wasn’t going to give up. Coming back in the afternoon by myself was a very different story. No one approached me and I was left to wander at will. Wild Boar wandered in the sides of roads. Small shops were quiet after the tourist rush in the morning. Most sit in their darkened shops with their air conditioners off. The moment you approach, everything is switched on and you are welcomed in. Of course they try and tempt you with their wares but nothing is too pressurized. No one wants to be missed out so I did them all, one by one and only buying a few small souvenirs. I was approached by a young man who offered to show me some more shops and I let him. This proved to be an experience to change my memories of Khajuraho.

Meeting Georgio Armani

by keeweechic Written Jan 6, 2007

Favorite thing: He took me to some material stores which also sold scarves and clothing. To cut a long story short, after trying on a few things in the narrow and cramped storage room behind the shop, I ended up ordering a raw silk jacket and pants to be made. 'Georgio Armani', as the tailor was referred, was summoned (by bike) from his home and brought in to take the measurements. I was told that the outfit would be delivered to my hotel later that night and if I wasn’t happy, I need not pay and take the goods. I had a great afternoon chatting to these people who had a great sense of humour.

Meeting The Family

by keeweechic Written Jan 6, 2007

Favorite thing: While walking through this little village we encountered small children who he said were nephews. There were other locals making comments to him and I asked what they were saying. He said they asked if he was taking a queen on a tour. I laughed and took this with a grain of salt but still could not help being warmed by the local atmosphere.

Instant Answers: Khajuraho

Comments

Khajuraho Favorites

Reviews and photos of Khajuraho favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Khajuraho sightseeing.