Khajuraho Off The Beaten Path

he was disturbed by the camera flash!
    by kharmencita
    the first part of his exercises.
    Meera a Swiss student of Yoga

Best Rated Off The Beaten Path in Khajuraho

• Peter_P's Profile Photo

WIldlife in the Panna National Park

by Peter_P Written Feb 25, 2003

It's a large park, and they sell it as a 'safari experience'. The only dangerous and 'wild' animal i've seen was this 'big bird'. Maybe wrong time of the year or just bad luck, but i think it's not worth while visiting. Only if you have nothing else to do (??) and some time left it can be somthing else, then all day long visiting temples. For sure you cannot compare this to an african safari...

• Adventure Travel

• castorp75's Profile Photo

Raneh Falls and Ken Gharial Crocodile Sanctuary

by castorp75 Written May 4, 2007

You are not likely to meet a lot of tourists here which is sad because it is only 18 km away from Khajuraho (400.- Rs taxi ride incl. waiting time) and is ideal for templed-out tourists. Some temples on the first day and some astonishing landscape on the second. In the wet season there's a beautiful waterfall here but it is well worth coming here even in the hot season because of the marvelous rock formations that are only visible in their magnificence when water level is low. Locals call the place the Indian Grand Canyon and they are right. You can see at least four different colors of granite rocks at the same time. The surrounding park is full of animals (monkeys, deers, peacocks, etc.) and at the sanctuary you are shown two types of crocodiles (gharial and mugger) living in the Ken river. The compulsory guide will let you know about the breeding program going on in the sanctuary.
    I can't remember the entry fee but it was under 200.- Rs for the 2 of us.
    There's a small cafe in this idyllic spot and while you drink your cold mineral water you can buy your postcards and there's even a DVD on offer for as little as Rs. 250.-. It introduces the temples of Khajuraho as well as Raneh falls in different seasons (during monsoon time it is quite different).

• National/State Park

• Paul2001's Profile Photo

The Varaha Temple

by Paul2001 Updated Jan 7, 2007

If you tour the Western Group of Temples clockwise like me, then the first "temple" that you will come across will be the Varaha Temple. This is a 10th century shrine rather than a temple and features a large nine foot high boar which is an incarnation of a Hindu deity. The statue is remarkable for the incredible carvings on its sides. The Varaha Temple is just a stones throw from the famous Lakshmana Temple and seems to get overlooked for this reason.

• illumina's Profile Photo

Khajuraho Old Village

by illumina Written Apr 9, 2010

On your journey from the Jain enclosure to the Hindu temples of the eastern group, it is well worth having a wander through the narrow streets of the old village. A young lad of perhaps 12 or 13 attached himself to us while we were there, and proceeded to give us a tour, showing us the dividing lines between areas belonging to different castes, usually marked out in concrete, as well as the different wells and temples belonging to each group. It certainly opened our eyes, showing that although in theory and in law, the caste system has been abolished, it continues nonetheless in practice.

Given the events which occasioned my warning tip, I was a little wary that he might start asking for money, and sadly my suspicions prevented me from really communicating with him, but when we reached the lake and said we were going a different way, he merely wished us a pleasant walk and said goodbye. This made me feel horribly guilty, as I suspect he just wanted to practise his English.

• RAJASTHANBYCAR's Profile Photo

Panna National Park

by RAJASTHANBYCAR Updated Aug 17, 2006

Samber

Panna National Park, 32 km away One hours drive away from Khajuraho and extending over 543 km, spread along the banks of the River Ken, the park's topography is a magnificent one of deep gorges, tranquil valley and dense teak forests. During the monsoons, the park is a lush green haven with cascading waterfalls. The park's area includes the former shooting reserves of the erstwhile royal state of Panna and Chhattarpur and the jungles today harbour many species of wildlife. The tiger can be glimpsed here, along with other rare species such as the Leopard, Wolf and Gharial. Most likely, it will be here if the Caracal, a vanishing cousin of the extinct Cheetah, is ever sighted. Herds of Blue Bulls, Chinkaras and Sambars are a common sight. The Wild Boar, the Sloth Bear, the Cheetal, the Chowsingha, the Indian Fox, the Porcupine, and a host of lesser fauna are also seen. A separate sanctuary for Gharial has been set up. The park can probably boast of the highest density of the Paradise Fly-Catchers. This rich avian and faunal life combined with its picturesque scenery make a visit to the Park a memorable one.

• Jungle and Rain Forest
    • National/State Park
    • Photography

• kharmencita's Profile Photo

The other side of the Guru

by kharmencita Updated Jul 17, 2012
    He is said to be almost 100 years old.

An experience which is only once in my lifetime. As i told my target to visit India is not for pleasure but to know more its History. There are so many many Things to explore and many many things to discover about the reality of indian culture. I never was fed up of India. So many places so many stories. It is just the beginning of my journey. Well, first to see the Guru was my goal. This should include in my travel diary if ever i am making one. I don´t keep write-ups. I say it in pictures. The day started right. When I arrived in this remote place, some different ages of men were sitting outside of the main entrance taking a siesta hour. These were his Students of Yoga. I saw an only white young lady in this group. First i saw they were not well cleaned in looks. All over were different colors painted irregularly on the body, faces and beards! It looked dirty but funny ;-) I just tried to ignore. My intension was the Guru anyway. The student who guided me was named Krishna, a typical Hindu name. He asked the Guru inside if he is willing to entertain two visitors. Luckily, he agreed. When I came in I saw a very slender old dark-skinned man with long white beard but stained with pink, green and some other colorful stains on it. It looked pretty cool for a Guru. I didn´t know that there was a festival few days before. The so called Holi-Festival of Colors, wherein people chase each other and playfully splash colorful water, paints or powder on each other.
    I came in and handed him my presents. I told him what is in. I offered him the Tetra packed Orange juice with straw. He looked it up curiously and didn´t know how to use it. Krishna demonstrated him and he did what he advised. When he started sucking out the juice from the box, he was amused and gave us an enjoyable smile. I thought of he never tasted it before. I was very emotionally touched. At this moment I came to realize his surroundings. He lived here in this very narrow square metered space where he sleeps and cook in an old fashion way. However, he is satisfied with all what he has. And my day with him was both of us a memorable time together. To be continued... on this evening i witnessed some Yoga exercises from the Student Krishna ;-)

It was a very good feeling to reach my Goal of Success in finding a modest Guru in Khajuraho.

• Religious Travel
    • Hiking and Walking

• kharmencita's Profile Photo

The Practice of Yoga

by kharmencita Updated Jul 17, 2012
    unbelievable....

Krishna, one of the students of Yoga agreed to show me on the evening some extreme yoga exercises after i met the Guru. Before this he expressed something that he only does it when i am willing to honor for what he deserved. I knew what he meant for this. So because I was curious about everthing i asked him how much he wanted to have. Other two female member of our group were also curious to see how he performed yoga. They also gave donations for this. All in all if we converted the money it was around 5 Euro. No problem for me. The curiosity is much greater than the rest of it. He came to fetch us from the Hotel and brought us to one remote house. It was dark already around 19:30( 7:30 pm) On the top of the roof garden of the house we went up made ourselves comfortable and observed him silently. He started to meditate. He did some exercises in which he used only his two left and right middle fingers to lift up his body while squatting. At first i didn´t believe all these practices. I was very sorry not to have all the exercises in my photo diaries because the flashes of the camera disturbed his concentration. So i stopped taking pictures and just observed his yoga with excitement. Now i saw it with my own eyes, unbelievable! For me, a very fascinating experience in Khajuraho.

Address: Khajuraho
    ******************

• Religious Travel

• Willettsworld's Profile Photo

Khajuraho village

by Willettsworld Written Jun 17, 2007

I cycled into the old village of Khajuraho where a young guy popped out of nowhere and started to show me around. He pointed out about the different buildings that relate to different castes (similar to classes back home). Kids were being washed in the street whilst cow dung was being applied to the pavement outside in order to keep mosquito's away. Young girls were picking up fairly fresh cow dung with their hands where it is then dried against a wall in the sun and used for fuel.

• Architecture

• crescentmoon's Profile Photo

shortcut to eastern temples

by crescentmoon Written Nov 12, 2005

Most of tourists take a bike along the road to Jain Temples .
    Try to walk in old village thru paddy fields.
    It's very very fresh atmosphere.

Instant Answers: Khajuraho

Comments

Khajuraho Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Khajuraho off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Khajuraho sightseeing.