Know about this? Rate It!
Located northwest of South Bombay, Bandra is one of the wealthiest suburbs/ neighbourhoods in greater Mumbai. It was once a completely separate port town from Bombay, but rapid urban growth swallowed it into the agglomeration. Bandra has become the neighbourhood of choice for many rising upper-middle class locals as well as Bollywood's flashiest stars, making the town a place with numerous restaurants and a vibrant nightlife. In addition, the promenade along the water is quite beautiful and scenic. However, not all is new at Bandra. The area was inhabited long before the Portuguese captured it in 1543, along with the rest of the shore, but when the Brits took over Bombay to the south, Bandra remained a Portuguese colony until they were driven out in the 18th century. As a result, Bandra has historically been a Catholic neighbourhood, with the highest concentration of Catholic churches in greater Bombay and some of the oldest. Today's Bandra is known for religious tolerance and has attracted many Moslems (who get along well with the Catholics), and fewer Hindus and other members of other communities. From south Bombay, with traffic, a taxi ride will take about 45 minutes, but is well worth the day trip.
For more photos, take a look at the Travelogues: "Bandra's Architecture" and "People of Bandra."
- Historical Travel
BRAVE THE MONSOON FURY
There is nothing like walking down Marine drive on a warm, sunny afternoon during the monsoons.
The picture says it all
- Adventure Travel
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Plenty of choices
- Agoda.com Save up to 75%, Don't miss! Live support, Instant confirmation.
Mumbai Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Jamaica Off The Beaten Path
- Atlanta Off The Beaten Path
- Arizona Off The Beaten Path
- Charleston Off The Beaten Path
- Crete Island Off The Beaten Path
- Alabama Off The Beaten Path
- San Francisco Off The Beaten Path
- Quebec Off The Beaten Path
- Vermont Off The Beaten Path
- Salt Lake City Off The Beaten Path
- Chattanooga Off The Beaten Path
- Ottawa Off The Beaten Path