Trishna, Mumbai

by Sambawalk
  • Trishna
    by Carino
  • Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

Trishna: Famous For Its Delicious Crabs!

by Donna_in_India Updated Mar 2, 2012

Updated 2/12: The Andheri location of Trishna has closed. The original in Kala Ghoda is still open.

Trishna is one of the most popular restaurants in Mumbai and the food is very good. The Mumbai location is fairly small and always packed so you can count on lots of noise and not much table space.

Although the specialties are seafood dishes, they serve vegetarian fare as well (Hyderabadi dal, palak paneer, etc.). The most famous dish is the butter-garlic crab, which although a little messy to eat(!) is delicious! Other dishes include prawns, rawas, and lobster, Indian style.

There is another location in the suburbs of Andheri (opposite Infinity Mall). This place is several times larger and very noisy!

If you are near either of the locations, I recommend stopping in for some crabs!

Open daily noon - 3:45 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. - 12:30 a.m.
    Open noon - 3:45 p.m., and 7:00 p.m. - midnight on holidays and dry days.

• Singles

• Carino's Profile Photo

Trishna: Great Seafood in Mumbai

by Carino Written Sep 11, 2010

We got this restaurant tip from a co-worker, who got it from her boss and she got it... ah well... to keep a long story short we were told to get to this place. Apparently it's one of the best seafood restaurants in the world. But when our driver pulled into this little and dark alley I thought that he is taking a shortcut or something. But then he stopped in the middle of the alley in front of a very decent looking restaurant entrance and a glamorous sign saying Trishna. I guess my co-worker was even more surprised than I was. The restaurant was under construction and only half was open. We were lucky that it was raining, otherwise there is no way you get a table without prior reservation. We called about an hour earlier and were told that we can no longer make a reservation and that we have to Q for about 30 minutes. By the time we arrived we got a table right away. Lucky I guess... The place looks quite decent and given the high number of tourists and expats in there, it seems quite popular among them.

This place is so popular that they even opened a sister restaurant in London.

Opening Hours:
    Lunch: Noon-3:30p M-Su, Dinner: 6:15p-midnight M-Sa, 7p-midnight Su

Favorite Dish: Butter pepper crab is their signature dish and what can I say, it is truly peppery and good! You can order the dish in the shell or already out of the shell. Whatever you prefer, but I would say it tastes much better when you take it out yourself.

We also had a prawn dish as an appetizer. Looked like popcorn shrimp with a slightly spicy touch. Not too bad.

Our vegetarian friend ordered some dal along with naan of course. All the dishes were very nice.

But we left with a hint of dissatisfaction... the rudeness on the phone and the angry almost arrogant look of the waiters just didn't match the food. Price is expensive for India, but still cheaper than other crab/sea food restaurants in Asia.

• Sambawalk's Profile Photo

Trishna restaurant - Indian Seafood: Very good Indian Seafood

by Sambawalk Written Jul 5, 2009

Trishna is considered one of the best in the world. Butter pepper garlic king crab is Trishna's signature dish, but you'll also find other seafood dishes. Despite its reputation, you can't tell from outside that it is a restaurant at all. Inside the restaurant is also very ordinary, but clean and a bit crowded. Trishna isn't about ambience (the decor in fact is somewhat tacky) -- everyone is here for the food. The restaurant is not big and have about 16 tables. I was there during lunch hour and the crowd started to come in about 1pm-2pm.

Don't expect to get in any night without a reservation, unless you're willing to arrive by 7pm and be out by 8pm.

Trishna restaurant - Indian Seafood

• Trishna's: Great Seafood at Trishna's

by gdub918 Updated Jul 16, 2006

Trishna's restaurant near the Gateway has some of the best seafood I had during my 3 month stay in Mumbai. Try the butter garlic crab and make sure you get some hot buttered naan to go with it.

I understand they have recently opened a new location in Malad (W).

Favorite Dish: We had some fish as an appetizer that was very good. Sorry don't remember what exactly it was. Also had prawns tandoori style that were great. For the main dish we had butter garlic crabs and naan. I can still taste it.

Instant Answers: Mumbai

Comments

Hotels Near Trishna
3.5 out of 5 stars