Named after the British Governor of Bombay who set up higher education for Indians in the city, Elphinstone College is one of India's oldest educational institutions. It was established in 1856, a year before the University of Bombay was founded, and the two were affiliated together in 1860. The majestic Gothic Revival edifice which houses Elphinestone College was built in 1888. It was designed by Trubshaw and was partially funded by Sir Cowasjee Jehangir, a wealthy member of the Parsi community of Bombay. The college is located on Mahatma Gandhi Road, which was formerly known as Esplanade Road.
This huge building lies at the southern end of the Fort area within the city. It is one of the oldest in the University of Mumbai system, having being established in 1824 and formally constituted in 1835. Elphinstone College was recognised by Bombay University in 1860, and since then it has been affiliated to and is an integral part of the University of Mumbai. It was named after Hon. Mountstuart Elphinstone, the Governor of Bombay from 1819 to 1827. Elphinstone College is not only one of the oldest colleges in Mumbai, but also the pioneering and elite educational institute from the British Raj years. Part of this building now houses the State Archives.