Of monumental grandeur, the Bombay Municipal Corporation building (BMC) was completed in 1893. It is an early example of Indo-Saracenic architecture, leaning more towards Gothic style, and was designed by Frederick W. Stevens who also designed the Victoria Terminus across the street. The tower, with its onion-shaped cupola, rises over 75 metres. The recent nationalist movement that is slowly effacing British colonial names recently also changed the name of BMC to Brihan Mumbai Mahanagarpalika. Locals still call it BMC...
Brihan Mumbai Mahanagarpalika or the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (BMC), is one of the largest civic bodies in the world. Operating on a budget of over Rs 5,500 crores (US $1.34 bn), the area coverage of the BMC is a modest 437sq kms but the population it caters to is a mammoth 16 million. Its service efficiency isn't exemplery, but certainly better, when compared to similar other urban bodies in India. Located across the road from Victoria Terminus station, it was designed by FW Stevens, who designed VT station, and completed in 1893. The imposing tower rises to a height of 235 feet above the ground. The outstanding feature of the building is the Council Chamber with a ceiling of unpolished teak. At the entrance stands a splendid bronze statue of Sir Pherozshah Mehta.
This Gothic building is opposite Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (Victoria Terminus). It is the home to the Bombay Municipal Corporation and was completed in 1893. The tower of the building reaches 255 ft. The Bombay Municipal Corporation which was created in 1865, was responsible for pulling down the fort wall, building new roads, housing and drainage systems and also tried to create a social consciousness amongst home owners who refused to build toile blocks inside their homes in an attempt to alleviate the dreadful sanitation problem.