Founded in 1846, the Bombay Yacht Club moved into this building in 1898. The Alpine-looking structure was designed by the British architect, John Adams, and supervised by Frederick W. Stevens (who designed the Victoria Terminus). It is located at Apollo Bunder, near the Bombay docks and opposite the Gateway of India. Despite the official change in the city's name to Mumbai, this establishment is still called the Royal BOMBAY Yacht Club.
The Royal Bombay Yacht Club is a large colonnial building that lies at the northern end of the Apollo Bunder inbetween the Gateway of India and the Prince of Wales Museum. It was originally built as a residential annexe to the Old Yacht Club in 1897.