Tourist Attractions in Mumbai

Most Viewed Tourist Traps in Mumbai

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

TRAPPING TOURISTS ON COLABA PROMENADE

by lynnehamman Written Feb 1, 2009

I write this "warning" with a smile on my face............It was really more amusing than annoying, but I will give a brief description of what happened. We were walking along the promanade at Colaba, Mumbai, and these 2 sweet, tiny little girls, about 15 yrs old, came up to us. They grabbed my hand, put a flower in it, and begged for RICE. No......they said, they did not want money...just rice. We smiled, and kept on walking.
    That night, Richard felt REALLY guilty, and bad that he had not given them the rice that they has asked for, to feed their starving families.Next day, they find us again. So they eagerly led their latest benafactor to a little shop, where he proceeded to buy not just rice., but sugar, milk , biscuits and various other foodstuffs. A veritable feast.They were delighted, Richard felt good,and we were given more flowers.
    Later that day, we saw them , busy withother tourists. We should have guessed.
    Our hotel manager had a good laugh when we told him about our philanthropy.
    "Ah.......the rice girls!!" Apparently. they get tourists to buy, then hand the goods back to the shop-owner, who gives them only a few rupees back. Clever, no?
    So this is not really a "danger or warning" just a "don't be a sucker!!"

• M.E.R.V's Profile Photo

You are blessed my child!

by M.E.R.V Written Jun 11, 2007

This cheeky man grabbed hold on me and marked a red time bomb on my forehead. Mumbled something in Hindi and tied some "lucky" red string on my ring. He even had a scissors with him, to tidy the ends of his knot...LOL! Obviously, he requested for Rs50 after which was crazy and I wasn't going to give him that much - I gave him Rs10(5 each because my mate ran away without paying). Although it seemed like I was enjoying what he was doing, I really had no choice as I didn't want to be rude since I was right in front of a temple! On the brighter side, I was certainly feeling lots more "lucky" the rest of the day.

Mumbai Hotels

Hotel Milan International
Latest: Jun 25, 2014
JW Marriott Hotel Mumbai

Instant Answers: Mumbai

Comments

Mumbai Tourist Traps

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Mumbai locals.
Map of Mumbai