Flights, Mumbai

Know about this? Rate It!

The jet Airways flight
    by goutammitra
  • The waiting lounge with internet and games facilit
    The waiting lounge with internet and...
    Inside Jet airways flight
  • Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

Arrive by plane...

by Donna_in_India Updated Mar 2, 2012

Daily flights to Mumbai are offered from almost every Indian city with an airport.

Domestc airlines serving Mumbai include:

Air India www.airindia.in (not a favorite of mine)
    Indian Airlines www.indian-airlines.nic.in (not a favorite of mine)
    Go Air (*) www.goair.in
    Indigo(*) ww.goindigo.in
    Jet Airways/Jet Lite(*) www.jetairways.com
    Kingfisher/Kingfisher Red(*) www.flykingfisher.com (serious financial difficulties. I'd avoid)
    SpiceJet(*) www.spicejet.com

The budget airlines are denoted by a (*). All of them are very good. They sometimes offer excellent rates when booking far in advance, but you can easily book the same day and get a very good rate.

For a one-stop comparison of flights check www.cleartrip.com or www.makemytrip.com. I'd recommend booking directly with the airlines though in case you need to change your travel plans. I have had occasion to change my dates and have never had any hassles and never been charged any fees.

Air India

• PierreZA's Profile Photo

Domestic flights

by PierreZA Written Nov 1, 2008

The Domestic Terminals in Mumbai are a much more pleasant experience compared to International. Things run very smooth. I have used both Kingfisher and Jet, and had no problems.
    Remember that you need to have your luggage security checked before going to the counters. Hand luggage should also be tagged and stamped.

• goutammitra's Profile Photo

The Best way to travel to Bombay is by Air

by goutammitra Written Jun 8, 2010

Now in the days of economic slow down , the best way to travel to Bombay is by air. The fare has come down drastically. The no of flights to Bombay has increased many folds with at least 7/8 domestic economy airlines offering tickets at very cheap prices depending on the timing. Now one can go to Bombay in the morning and come back in the evening after completing the work, thus saving on hotel bill. The fare costs around Rs.4000+ to Rs11000+( USD$100 to USD$200) depending on the airlines and the services offered. The most expensive is Kingfisher Red, Jet Airways and the economy no frill flights are Jet Lite, Goair, Indigo, Kingfisher. There are at least 12-15 flights a day to Bombay from Kolkata itself and from Delhi or Bangalore the no must be not less than 30 flights a day starting from 5.00AM to midnight. The flight time is about 2 hrs from Kolkata.

It is always wise to buy your ticket from the net, who knows you may struck a better deal! The rail fare to Bombay from Kolkata in AC II tier is about Rs2000+ or around USD$50-55. It takes about 28 hours to 42 hours almost two nights. It makes sense to travel by air and save on hotel bill.

Today, after renovation Bombay airport is one of the best in the country.

Inside Jet airways flight Bombay departure lounge. The jet Airways flight The waiting lounge with internet and games facilit

• uglyscot's Profile Photo

Local airways

by uglyscot Updated Dec 9, 2007

We took a Kingfisher airways flight from Delhi to Mumbai. It was comfortable and the service and food were good. Every passenger is given a pouch containing a couple of sweets, condiments, breath freshener seeds, hand freshener and a pen.
    The tickets cost us around 13,000 rupees.
    Our flight left in the early morning, and the return flight in the afternoon.

As well as juice and water, we were served lunch of black chickpeas, Chicken biryani [rather hot], mixed pickles ; chocolate mousse.

at Mumbai airport on a Kingfisher flight flying between Delhi and Mumbai

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

By Air

by keeweechic Written May 6, 2006

Mumbai is one of the main international airports in India. Air India is their international carrier and Jet Airways their main domestic carrier although Air India does operate some domestic flights. Mumbai’s airport is call Chatrapati Shivaji International Airport (formerly known as Sahar International Airport), around 30km from downtown. It is the busiest airport in India. The domestic airport is Santacruz airport, around 26kms from downtown.

This was my first experience of Air India and I cannot say I was impressed. The flight was full to Mumbai, the plane old and in parts I thought some of the interior was falling apart. A coat cupboard door flew open during take off and was left swinging along with coathangers and jiggling bags stored there. A passenger actually managed to kick it shut. There was also a loud crash in the galley during take off. The initial drink was pretty much thrown at you whether you wanted it or not and later when asked if you would like an alcoholic drink, you were advised by the attendant to order two because he wasn’t coming back. Fortunately the departing flight from India was a little better. Jet Airways on the other hand was fantastic. The internal flights were short but the attendants were on the go all the time and you were well looked

• nora_south_africa's Profile Photo

South African bookings internal flights India

by nora_south_africa Written Dec 30, 2006

There have been lots of problems with booking internal flights in India for some International tourists, if People in South Africa are having problems there is a booking office in Johannesburg for jet airways, it does have a web site but its only for agents you must register if you an agent,
    www.jetairways.co.za
    +27 11 622 1363 only problem is if you pay by credit card you must go book your tickets at their office in Bedfordview Johannesburg.

• travelwise217's Profile Photo

Air trip

by travelwise217 Written Aug 13, 2008

Mumbai's Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport (erstwhile Sahar airport) is 29 km north of the city center (travel time: 50-75 min). The domestic terminal at Santa Cruz serves regular flights to other parts of India and is just 4 km away from Sahar. Facilities: ATMs and bureaux de change are available in both terminals along with a number of bars, restaurants and shops. There are limited disabled facilities and travelers with special needs should advise their airline in advance.

British Airways, BMI and India's Jet Airways have regular direct flights to Mumbai from London Heathrow, and Singapore Airlines offers non-stop flights from Manchester. Airindia, India's official flight, has regular flights to Los Angeles (except on Mon, Wed, Sat). Through our well-connected network we can book your tickets well in advance and our representatives will be there to receive you at the airport. Domestic airlines, Jet Airways, Sahara Airlines and Indian Airlines, connect Mumbai to important cities such as New Delhi, Bangalore, Chennai and Kolkata with multiple daily flights.

• cochinjew's Profile Photo

Air France as always

by cochinjew Written Aug 27, 2008

After the chaos and the lack of facilities at the Bombay airport, it is always nice to see the tail of the Air France plane that would carry you out of here.
    Todays flight was excellent, the check in was nothing but superb, the ladies behind the counter, very courteous and professional. I have already written to Air France expressing my gratitude to the ladies. the oberoi lounge is noisy and used by so many airlines that it at times resembles a bar selling beer..
    the service on board was very good and the flight to paris was nothing short of superb. the captain of the aircraft was an experience pilot and he took the swiftest and fastest route and getting us there to paris in 8 hours. smooth flight indeed and as always one cant complain about the food. after two glasses of champagne I slept for about six hours..

late night snack aboard Air France breakfast aboard Air France

• cochinjew's Profile Photo

Nice way to leave India

by cochinjew Written Jan 31, 2008

Continental flies daily to Newark EWR airport. In december I was able to snatch a B/F seat very comfortable 14 1/2 hour flight to the New World. It was a bit strange to board the flight at the commotion of Bombay and arrive at the order of the New World.
    This time, it was Virgin Atlantic Upper Class at this last week of January. Lovely flight, great seats, good food and nice drinks and the time was 10 hours to london, slightly longer than i thought.

On my next trip to Asia, I think I am flying B/F on Continental from EWR to BOM. That would be something to look forward to

tasty salmon a lovely south african white pistachio kulfi icecream appetizers view as we take off for London 10 hours away

• assedo's Profile Photo

Fly easy

by assedo Updated May 30, 2006

Indian low cost air companies are increasing, convenient and cover all states (Khasmir included).
    www.flykingfisher.com
    www.airdeccan.net
    www.goair.in/
    I heard bad comments about air deccan.

Instant Answers: Mumbai

• Sep 15, 2014 at 5:03 AM

Go Air, Worst Airline: On the 10 of September 2014, we arrived at the Chatrapatti Shiva international airport Mumbai at 6-00 am-we were travelling to Guwahati on route home to Shillong. On checking in at the GoAir counter we were informed that our two pieces of luggage was booked through to Guwahati and we were handed two boarding passes. The first one was for the Mumbai New Delhi leg of the journey bearing flight Number G8-327 and seat number 16 A and 16 B STD 7.50 am and the second bore flight No G8-151 and seat numbers 16 B and 16 C, STD 10.35 am. That immediately told me that I had to change planes at New Delhi. The flight took off on time. Our STA at Indira Gandhi International airport New Delhi was 9.55 am.
    The flight took off on schedule but during the flight we were informed by the pilot over the intercom that the flight was delayed. I was not worried as this was quite normal. The flight G8-327 landed at 10.21 am -26 minutes behind the scheduled time and that when the nightmare started. We rushed out from the arrival lounge and headed for the departure lounge which was located in another building on the first floor. We entered through gate 7 was headed for the security check. Once out of security, we ran on to gate no 9, where we were confronted by the digital announcement board that that the gate was closed.
    We approached the three GoAir officials at the gate and explained that we had just got out of flight G8-327 from Mumbai and that we were there to catch flight G8-151 bound for Guwahati. They told us that the flight had departed while rudely demanding to know why we had deplaned as the same air craft was bound for Guwahati. I was perplexed for a moment but showed them the second boarding pass for flight no G8-151 and asked them if the same air craft was flying on to Guwahati why were we issued two boarding passes. To which they replied that it was ‘standard procedure’. One of them took away the boarding pass and asked us to follow him. At the counter we were told to wait. I watched them as they stood a little away their face grim as they discussed the situation. After about 15 minutes I walked up to the counter and asked for the fate of our luggage which was booked through to Guwahati. They asked me to be patient and wait as they were bringing it. 45 minutes or so later our bags were wheeled in. One of the airline employees tried to remove the baggage tags but I prevented them from doing so. By this time I had begun to realise that the airlines was attempting a cover up. So one again I approached the counter and demanded to meet their superior to register my complains. But I was stonewalled again and again. When I persisted they haughtily informed that they would rebook my ticket for the following day. A young man, in the airline uniform was given my boarding pass and was instructed to ask me take me to the reservation office to get the paper work done. However at the exit gate the young man passed on that chore to a lady colleague. I followed her on to the reservation office and was asked to wait at the lobby while she disappeared into the maze of offices with the Delhi Guwahati boarding passes. I waited for a very long time but I never saw her ever again. My patients ran out after a long wait and so I walked behind the counters trying to locate the lady. She was nowhere to be seen. Just as I despaired ever getting any where I noticed the air line staffer who had guided us from gate no 9 to the counter. I caught hold of him and demanded to know the status of the rebooking of our tickets. He asked me for the PNR no on my Mumbai Delhi Boarding pass and within seconds I was holding the new tickets booked the following day. I then demanded that the airlines make arrangements for the hotels at our unscheduled stop over at New Delhi. He coldly told to take care of it myself; once again iterating that the air lines were not at fault and so was not liable. I lost one whole precious day thanks to Go air. I also had to shell out of my pocket for my lodge and board plus taxi fare for the unnecessary stop over at Delhi. I boarded flight G8-151 bound for Guwahati the following day but not before I extracted the information from the flight manager that flight G8-151 originates from Bangaluru and not Mumbai as claimed by the officials’ of GoAir. Some questions If the same air craft was on ward bound to Guwahati why were we issued two boarding passes? With two sets of seat numbers If our luggage was booked through to Guwahati how/why was it unloaded at New Delhi air port. Would they have treated any other passenger from the ‘mainland India’ in the same shabby way? I can only conclude the following:-The air line in risky one and I strongly advise travellers to avoid using their service The airlines had better pull up its socks if it wants to stay in business
    I was travelling with a cousin who is a cancer survivor on our way back home after his annual medical check up at the Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai.