Getting Around Mumbai

Inside the station..
    Queue for the tickets
    by Durfun
    Descending to the platform..

Most Viewed Transportation in Mumbai

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

Pitfalls of getting around in Mumbai traffic

by lynnehamman Written Mar 2, 2009

There are many ways of getting around in Mumbai. It is obviously more comfortable to use a taxi- but the traffic is horrendous. We found that autorickshaws are probably the quickest way to go for short distances. They are, however, limited to certain areas.
    They arenot allowed in the Central area (between Colaba & Mahim in the West and Colaba and Sion in the East) of the city

These are other options:

Black and yellow metered taxis
    Radio Taxis: Silver Green run by Meru and Yellow Red by Gold cabs and Black by Mega cabs.
    Blue and silver airconditioned metered taxis known as Cool Cabs
    Waterway Services:
    Ferry services connect Vashi (in Navi Mumbai) to the Gateway of India.
    Ferry services are available to visit Elephanta Caves and to nearby places such as Alibaug, Rewas and Mandwa.

• aadil's Profile Photo

Train Cloak Room for Left Luggage

by aadil Written Aug 1, 2004

Well, not exactly about train travel but just about using the left luggage counter in the train station at Chattrapati Shivaji Terminus for anyone who wishes to keep their luggage for a day or more too!!! The rates are Rs10/- per piece of baggage for a day and the same amount extra for each day. The left luggage counter is known as the Cloak Room in this place. It is located at the corner of the Platform No 13 on the main line terminus. Foreign tourists have to show their passports for verification and the place is quite safe and secure. It is closed for a small break of half an hour each at three times during the day so be careful of the closing times and do not lose your receipt for claiming your luggage!!! You do not have to have a train ticket to leave your luggage here.

• radz's Profile Photo

Transport to Elephenta caves

by radz Written Jan 29, 2004

This is Luxury launch returning from Elephenta caves,while am going towards to cave,
    i took this photo.I got Ticket Rs 100/but does it look like Luxury launch heh.its just ordinary one :)If you get Rs 40/ticket you can have 30min boat cruise at sea.they will took you one round.
    There are boat service availble for Harbour cruishing,and near by places like Mandwa,Alibaug.
    I dint try,they said for this trip have to book first.

Tickets timing:9am to 2pm.
    If you waana go caves,have to catch before 2pm,after that no boat service.

• Museum Visits
    • Archeology

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

To Elephanta Island

by MalenaN Written Aug 9, 2010

Boats to Elephanta Island leave from Gateway of India. They leave every half an hour during the day, except Mondays when the caves on Elephanta Island are closed. I bought my ticket just by the boat and a return ticket was Rs 120 (June 2010). Be aware of hawkers trying to sell you tours to the island. It took just over an hour to go to Elephanta Island.

At Elephanta Island the ferry stops at the end of a long pier. It doesn’t take many minutes to walk to the stairs leading up to the caves, but if you want you can take a miniature train this short distance. Along the way there are people selling guidebooks and souvenirs.

When I visited Elephanta Island I met an Indian couple and luckily we travelled with the same boat back to Mumbai. First we sat on the roof, but when the rain again started to pour down we went downstairs. There were no available seats so we had to stand the rest of the journey. The rain continued to pour down and we docked by a ferry terminal. It turned out we couldn’t continue because of the weather conditions, it was to dangerous to go to Gateway of India. I was glad I was not alone as it was not to easy to go back to Colaba. We took a bus somewhere and when we were waiting for another bus we were told that Dockyard Road train station was near and we could get a train from there to CST train station. From CST I chose to walk back to Colaba. The rain was not so heavy anymore and I was wearing rain jacket and trousers.

• sudo2008's Profile Photo

Bandra -Worli sea link

by sudo2008 Written Jul 7, 2009

Many people celebrated the opening of the Bandra-Worli Sea Link in Mumbai, India’s first cable-stayed road bridge across the sea.
    Supposedly it will reduce the 40-minute car journey from Bandra to Worli to seven minutes,

• RakeshKapadnis's Profile Photo

Gateway to Elephanta

by RakeshKapadnis Updated Jan 25, 2010

Hi you can get ferry from the Gate Way of India to Elephanta Caves. Its also called as the Gharapuri in the local Marathi language. The tickets are easilly available & cheap. Its actually a halfday tour. The ferry transportation will take one & half hour both sides.

• Architecture
    • Archeology

• we2364's Profile Photo

The first cultural shock?!

by we2364 Written Apr 5, 2006

The airplane arrived at the noon time in Mumbai. Since I am on budget, I took the rickshaw to Adheri station. After I bought the ticket and went to the platform, I realized myself looked like an alien there.

However, when train arrived, when I saw thousands of Indians(men mainly) are packed on the train, I was shocked and lost the mind. Because I can't see any space to get inside (even later I realized there was the lady compartment). I am the only "white" among thousands of Indian people.

In one moment, I changed my mind by running out of the station and took the taxi to the hotel.

It's probably that I am not very prepared. However, if I am with another person, I am sure I can try this adventure.

Taxi cost from Airport to Columba area is around 300Rs in day time. In the night time, they may raise to 400Rs. But you can still neogotiate it.

• jethanand's Profile Photo

Local Transportation

by jethanand Updated Oct 13, 2008

Due to traffic congestion through-out the city, I would advise tourists to minimize day-time travel, take only short trips when ever possible. The trafiic is more bearable on week-ends.

If you are in Mumbai during October thru February, perhaps the weather makes the day-time travel more tolerable.

Avoid slow buses and trains. These are simply too over-crowded. I found air-conditioned buses and taxis most desirable.

I recently came back from my visit to Mumbai, Chennai and Bangalore and found the traffic to have become unbearable for most of the day.

• Business Travel

• tranceperent's Profile Photo

traffic traffic honk honk

by tranceperent Written Dec 13, 2006

this is a problem today with most of the big cities around the world. bombay is no exception to that.

during the peak (9,11am-5,7pm) hours it gets horrible. sometimes takes around 2 hours to reach from one part to the other part of bombay.

if you are planning to catch a flight or a train i would suggest you leave 30mins in advance. i do that myself, inspite of this have missed my flight and train sometime
    during the monsoon things get worst. more traffic and more waiting.

• Women's Travel
    • Singles
    • Luxury Travel

Ferries to Elephanta Island

by keeweechic Written May 5, 2006

Ferries leave from Apollo Bunder at the Gateway of India for Elephanta Island. You may find yourself crossing over one or two other boats just to get to your ferry moored on the outside of the others. The ride takes around 1 hour each way. You can sit on the lower covered deck or upstairs – which in Summer may prove to be way too hot. Try and pick a calm day as even then you will get a little of a bumpy ride. There is a sign on the boat which says no photography. No one took any notice of this and in fact I believe it more pertains to the taking of photos of the naval base there as my guide told me to make sure I did not take photos of that area as we passed by.

Boats leave from Apollo Bunder around every half-hour from 9 am to 2 pm and between 1 pm and 5 pm from Elephanta Island. You can buy tickets at the booths near the Gateway or you can book a tour with the MTDC. The boat services are suspended during the monsoon season.

• smirnofforiginal's Profile Photo

Car & driver deal

by smirnofforiginal Written Apr 27, 2010

A car with driver can be hired. The deal is 8 hours and 80kms for a fixed price. Anything over that time or extra kms carries an extra cost.

I took this options on two different occasions because we (4 people) had all our backpacks and day packs and were in Mumbai in transit (i.e many hours and no accommodation required). The upside of this option for us was that we kept our luggage safely with us and did not have to trample about under all it's weight.
    The downside to this (on both occasions) was that the driver spoke no English (one was hired at the airport and the other was arranged in the Mumbai suburbs) and never understood where we wanted to go (or was this a canny way to clock up those kms?... and trust me 80kms is the bare minimum for a day going into and around the city and back again). On both occasions, because of the incompetance of the driver we did far less than we had wanted to.

NB. Should you go with this option. 1) Be aware the time and km allowance starts from the second you step into the car and ends when the car has been returned (with or without you) back to bas. 2) ALWAYS write down the kms on the clock before you set off. 3) ALWAYS get the drivers mobile number so that you can refind him after you have left the car (unlike taxis this is a prepaid option so you really want to be able to refind the driver!). 4) ALWAYS before setting off find out how far in time and kms it is to get the car back from a chosen destination to base (we were well within both time and kms but the driver wanted to argue he would go over!) 5) If the driver has to go and park the car whilst you are off doing something ask him to get a receipt - he may play it straight down the line with you but then again he may decide to make himself some extra rupees on top!

It is always good to have a map and be able to show your driver EXACTLY where you want to go.

By Sea

by keeweechic Written May 4, 2006

There is a regular shipping service between Mumbai, Goa and Ratnagiri. This is primarily by catamaran but the service is suspended during the monsoon season. The duration of the voyage takes around 8 hours. The Princess Cruises also call at Mumbai port.

• Cruise

By Road

by keeweechic Written May 5, 2006

Mumbai is connected by good connecting roads with all major tourist centres. It is an important junction for several highways (3,4,6,8,9 and 17) which link to all parts of the country.

Delhi – 1,460km
    Bangalore – 998km
    Chennai – 1,329km
    Calcutta – 2,236km
    Hyderabad -711km

• Mumbai Airport

by iwent Updated Jun 2, 2006

Mumbai’s two airports are 30 km north of the city centre. The journey to the city centre by taxi takes about one hour at Rp 300 (€ 6). And 30% more between midnight and 5 am. This was the price in February 2006.

Chattrapathi Shivaji International Airport handles all international flights and is 4 km from the domestic airport. A free shuttle service connects the two airports.

Domestic flights of Air India depart from the International Airport.

Some domestic carriers:

More info about domestic airlines:

More info about airports worldwide:

• mili_143's Profile Photo

BEST BUSES

by mili_143 Written Nov 29, 2008

BEST BUSES are the BEST WAY to travel around mumbai. Recently best buses introduced a new scheme for travelers around mumbai. You have to pay only 20/- rs and you can travel whole day with the help of best buses. there are two sections of mumbai in this scheme. One is south mumbai and one is suburb. This ticket is valid upto midnight and can travel as many time as you want. Only A/c buses does not come in this scheme.

Mumbai Hotels

The Gordon House Suites
InterContinental The Lalit Mumbai
Leela Kempinski Hotel Mumbai

Instant Answers: Mumbai

Comments

Mumbai Transportation

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Mumbai locals.
Map of Mumbai