Cuttack Travel Guide

My sister & I at market
    school house

Cuttack Restaurants

• by missub1974 Written Jun 4, 2010

Mult cuisine restaurant. Indian, Chinese and tandoor. Ambience is simple and cool. Food quality is great compared to its price which is very reasonable

Favorite Dish: veg pakija and , tandoori is good and butter masal is authentic

Cuttack Transportation

by cblanc9 Updated Apr 18, 2004

The best way around Cuttack or to any near city is a hired car. You can hire the car for any amount of days. We told them when to pick us up and where to go. A prearranged daily rate, plus tolls & mileage.

The cars are small. Ours had ac.
    The driver turns the ac off as soon as you open a window or make a stop at the market. The brakes, tires & shocks must be changed all the time because the traffic is crazy. I mean crazy!
    . All to the magical sound of horns honking NON STOP. Except at night.
    Hardly any horns at night. No idea why.

Late afternoon all the cows are heading down the dirt road in one direction like commuters. All going home for dinner.

Most cars have a miniature temple on the dash board. Ours lit up at night with disco lights on Ganesh. And we had theme music ! Loud Indian music along with the disco Ganesh! It was great. Bumping up & down in our seats & into each other. Due to traffic & bad roads. It was sort of like dancing to the high pitched wailings and great Indian beats. It felt like a club without martinis & bad pickup lines.

Cuttack Shopping

by cblanc9 Written Apr 18, 2004

My sister, Indian friend Julle & I went shopping one afternoon for a year.
    Markets are great.
    The best idea is to have a local help you shop. They haggle for you and know the real price. Otherwise you get the tourist price. 1000% markup. I'm sure we still paid more than locals. It's cheap regardless.

Shoes, candy, toys, hats, gold, jewelry, metal boxes, bendis, rings, bangles, individual size soap, shampoo, laundry detergent, lotion..not sure why so small. So many things are smaller there. Oh yes & fantas! I survived on those & thumbs up. However you have to drink any bottled beverage at the stand of purchase. They need the recycling refund. Should be no problem because you will be so parched from the dry heat. Easy to become dehydrated

by cblanc9 Updated Apr 7, 2004

A nice clean department store type shop. Two stories. Have many modern clothes along with sarees and indian outfits.
    We also shopped at the markets. There is a foreigner tax or "white people tax". Well foreigners are charged a much higher amount than locals. This way in all of India & Asia.

What to pay: We paid around $20 per saree. These were about 600-700 rupees. Very beautiful classic design.

• Cuttack Hotels

0 Hotels in Cuttack

Cuttack Off The Beaten Path

school house

by cblanc9 Updated Apr 4, 2011

In Choudwar there is a loving Servants of InNida orphanage. Over 100 children live here along with a leporsy colony and CCF.
    We visited with the beautiful children and were treated graciously by the Sahoo family who runs the home. A great place to visit.
    Damotar Sahoo runs the orphanage.
    Choudwar, Cuttack, Orissa.
    * If you would like to sponser a child or donate money to help build a school that will help sustain the orphange please go to The Miracle Foundation Website*

Instant Answers: Cuttack

Comments

Cuttack Travel Guide
Map of Cuttack