Amritsar Local Customs

Langar at the Golden Temple Complex

Best Rated Local Customs in Amritsar

The entrance of Gold

The entrance

Quick, just a few more footsteps to the doorway of Golden Temple. The atmosphere here is becoming more Golden Temple than earlier. Now I can see many peoples holding their head as high as possible, some with camera already in mad including myself, just snap, don't stop. Devotess walk towards the doorway, some of them touch the construction with both hands while praying in heart. The one in orange robe and blue turban is the guard, he is not visitor.

The passageway

The passageway

Okay this is the only way to get inside the Golden construction via a bridge I supposed the correct word for it. Anyway, the crowd of the day is average as this photo but need a short while to queue. I saw so many tourists just like myself among these Sikhs, they never care to ask why or where you come from, so we were happy, everybody happy.

...and the Interior structure

and the Interior structure

You must look at this, the interior structure and atmosphere of the Golden Temple. This photo shows the first floor and 2 more to go. I am just a tourist, therefore please do not expect me to provide detail information of what and why or how and who, just enjoy photo. There are so many websites about Sikhism, ask Google.com

Collecting money

Collecting money

The very last scene of this series of custom tips is this scene where I saw two Sikhs so busy to collect all those money donated by all the devotees. Two of them collecting the money while another person spraying some kind of aromatic liquid onto those money. I appologize for my ignorance about the Sikh custom, this is just my one time experience of Amritsar. I hope you understand.

The leaf and the unknown

The leaf and the unknown

When come to this doorway, the object that I was holding has to pass to the person at right (facing us in white). He is the one that will collect the object from you and he will split the unknown into half and give back to you. I just carry the leaf and the unknown all over the Golden Temple. What a custom of Amritsar.

Communion bowl

Communion bowl department

I still don't know what to call that leaf made bowl with an unknown cake look-alike object. In this photo, my partner is queuing to obtain the object and I am the one who snap this photo. Up there has a sign written in English "For offering the Holly Communion, take it from here"

...and what now?

...and what now?

When I come to this far, I just make sure my finger is in contact with my camera's button to snap as many photos as possible. This photo is still at first floor before going up. I saw so many Sikhs in white long robe with black turban....and what are they doing. A custom tip anyway.

Langar (Free Lunch) in the Golden Temple Complex

by MikeySoft Updated Jan 5, 2011

Langar at the Golden Temple Complex

Do not miss the Langar when you are at the Golden Temple.

I wasn't sure if I should put this under Restaurants, Things to Do, or Local Customs. I decided to put it under Local Customs because it is more then a place to eat or a thing to do, it is a custom of the Sikhs to feed anyone who wants to eat. A Sikh friend also told me that I could also stay at a free hostel.

They have several big halls where they feed anyone who wants to come. It is well orginised and when one hall is filled up, a different one that just been clean from the last Langar opens up. The line is always moving and you get plenty to eat. Thus us not to be missed when you are in Amritsar.

You are under no obligation to help or donate but there was a donation box off to the side when you exit. No one is standing there asking you to give but I gave some US dollars for my appreciation. I used US dollars so that they would know my money was donated by a tourist. Some people were sitting in the distance and they smiled as waved at me and gave me the thumbs up after the say that I gave something.

Please rate this tip and my others if you find them interesting, useful, or like the photos. Thanks

• MikeySoft's Profile Photo

Helping with the Langar (Free Lunch)

by MikeySoft Updated Jun 15, 2010

preparation of Langar

You are under no obligation to help with the Langar (Free Lunch) but if you want, you can help with the washing or preparation of food. It is a good way to have some fun and meet the people.

I also walked through the food preparation area and all the people were smiling very friendly to me. I took some photos and few give me there their address. They indicated I could send all the photos of their group because they knew each other.

Other Customs

by MikeySoft Written Jun 15, 2010

Amritsar Local Custom

One custom is eating the sweet past inside the Golden Temple Complex. I was offered it several times and finally tried it at the Golden Temple in the center of the pond.

An additional custom was to drink some of the water from the pond. I know people swim it in and it may not be the most sanitary thing, but again I did it after several people was telling me about the custom. I did it incorrectly. I put some in my palm and leaned over the pond as I drank it. They told me I would not lean over the pond as I drank, Again this was at the Golden Temple in the center of the pond.

• SmileyLeSa's Profile Photo

Cover Your Head

by SmileyLeSa Written May 7, 2006

When you enter any Sikh Gurudwara, including the Golden Temple you must remove your shoes and cover your head. This is seen as a sign of respect. Make sure you take a scarf or handkerchief to cover your head. If you do not have one, one will be provided at the door. However, I think you would prefer to use something of your own to cover your head.

• Religious Travel

• SmileyLeSa's Profile Photo

Prashad

by SmileyLeSa Written May 7, 2006

Part of every Sikh religious ceremony that takes place at the gurdwara is followed by the distribution of prashad. Prashad is made of flour, sugar and butter that has been blessed and is shared as a sign of community. If you make a donation to the Temple, you will be given prashad on in a plate to offer as a blessing once you enter the Golden Temple.

• Religious Travel

• RAJASTHANBYCAR's Profile Photo

Baisakhi Fair (Apr 13)

by RAJASTHANBYCAR Written Jul 18, 2006

Gaddha Dance

Baisakhi is the first day of the New Year in the traditional Vikrami calendar and it is one of the high points of the year for Sikhs as it is anniversary of the founding of Khalsa. Baisakhi is a North Indian harvest festival, for it is the day when the reaping of the rabi (winter crop) begins. The jubilation at a bountiful harvest becomes the reason for celebration. It is one of the most popular and colourful festivals of Punjab, with fairs held at various places. Dancing men and women, on the day of Baisakhi, emerge singing and dancing from the surrounding villages carrying a portion of the first harvest of wheat proceeding to the gurudwara to make an offering.

• Theater Travel
    • Seniors

• RAJASTHANBYCAR's Profile Photo

Lohri Fair 13 Jan every year

by RAJASTHANBYCAR Written Jul 18, 2006

Bhangra Dance

Lohri marks the end of winter and for Punjabis, this is more than just a festival, as it is an example of a way of life. Lohri celebrates fertility and the spark of life. People gather round the bonfires, throw sweets, puffed rice and popcorn into the flames, sing popular songs and exchange greetings. An extremely auspicious day, Lohri marks the sun's entry in to the 'Makar Rashi' (northern hemisphere). There is puja that symbolises a prayer to Agni, the spark of life, for abundant crops and prosperity.

• Seniors
    • Theater Travel

Clean yourself

by l_joo Written Jul 29, 2004

Clean yourself

Clean yourself is another important custom here as I saw many peoples gathering at the basin to wash their hands and face and then I saw again they wash their legs at the waterway built in front of the entrance.

Instant Answers: Amritsar

Comments

Amritsar Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Amritsar local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Amritsar sightseeing.