Amritsar Restaurants

• udtaparindaa's Profile Photo

Kesar da Dhaba: A foodie's paradise

by udtaparindaa Written Jul 21, 2014
    :D

One of the best food I have ever had anywhere in India. Yes on the first look it may not please you ambiance wise and you may even doubt the hygiene levels but fact is it's just an old place with minimum renovation and they take utmost care to uphold the quality and taste of the food.

All the thalis, Bharta, Maa ki Daal, Paneer dishes and Kadi Fry each and every item on menu simply rocks.

PS: one may find it way too oily (as it's loaded with Ghee)

The following excerpt has been taken from its website page and highlights how famous and good this reatsurant is:
    "Its foundation was laid by Lt. Lala Kesar Mal and his wife Lt. Smt. Parvati in 1916 in Sheikhupura, Pakistan, At that time famous personalities like Lala Lajpat Rai used to visit our dhaba. Pandit Jawahar Lal Nehru and Indra Gandhi used to have parcels of food from us. After partition, the dhaba is shifted to Amritsar. Since then, we have grown up and became popular worldwide for our taste and quality of food.
    Kesar da dhaba has been captured by media channels such as Zoom TV, NDTV, Star Plus, ETC Punjabi, ZEE TV, BBC News, Travel & Living, Discovery Channel, Sony TV and others"

Favorite Dish: Everything... just everything

• udtaparindaa's Profile Photo

Ahuja Lassi: Lassi with makkhan and malai

by udtaparindaa Updated Jul 2, 2014

To begin with Lassi is a yogurt-based drink from India and Pakistan. It is a blend of yogurt, water, spices and sometimes, fruit. For a variety in taste you can try endless number of minor ingredients too like I do at home (for ex. Roohafza, different combos of spices like cardomom, saffron, pista, cashewnut, walnuts etc.)

Ahuja Lassi, S. Surjan Singh Milk Bhandar and Gyan Singh's Punjabi lassi are the three most famous places in Amritsar to try it out. Though I would say Lassi being an integral part of Punjabi diet can be found at many many other locations in the city and you would find it to be equally good.

Favorite Dish: Lassi ofcourse and here's the recipe to try it out at home (although what you would find in Amritsar is just too lip-smacking )

1. Take the yogurt, cardamom powder, water and sugar in a blender.
    2. You can also blend with a hand blender or use the traditional madani.
    3. Blend till the yogurt is evenly blended.
    4. Don't over do as then you will get butter floating on top.
    5. serve lassi in tall glasses.
    6. Add crushed ice cubes, garnish lassi with some cardamom powder and sliced almonds.
    7. serve the sweet lassi. you can also chill lassi and then serve.

Now as I said further modification can be done like adding a dullop of fresh butter over the final serving along with a layer of Malayi covering the top surface of the glass in which it is served.

For assiatance on what's "Malayi" kindly refer What is MALAYI
    Makkhan is "Homemade Butter". For assistance on how to make it at home pls refer How to Make Makhan at Home

PS: I am very good at making Lassi at home

• Temptation Restaurant: You won't get better Continental food & Sizzlers

by navraj Written Apr 24, 2012
    First-floor sitting

I happened to visit Amritsar and had food at Temptation Restaurant. The ambience was good and restaurant was clean although construction was going on for a basement and an extension. Staff was cordial and the knew the menu thoroughly as they could answer the questions regarding the dishes/cuisines. Even on a hot summer afternoon in week days, the place had a decent crowd. Anyways, the food was really good. We tried sizzlers, continental and normal punjabi cuisine. Almost everything was good.

Favorite Dish: Sizzlers!!!! They were just awesome. I can definitely say that those were one of the best sizzlers I ever had.
    Apart from that, the soups were also really good.

• Religious Travel
    • Festivals

• MikeySoft's Profile Photo

Langar Hall inside of the Golden Temple Complex: Langar (Free Meal) in the Golden Temple Complex

by MikeySoft Updated Jan 14, 2011

Langer at the Golden Temple Complex, Amritsar

Do not miss the Langar when you are at the Golden Temple.

I wasn't sure if I should put this under Restaurants, Things to Do, or Local Customs. I decided to put it under Local Customs because it is more then a place to eat or a thing to do, it is a custom of the Sikhs to feed anyone who wants to eat.

I later also decided to put it under this Restaurant so VTers will not miss it. A Sikh friend also told me that I could also stay at a free hostel

They have several big halls where they feed anyone who wants to come. It is well orginised and when one hall is filled up, a different one that just been clean from the last Langar opens up. The line is always moving and you get plenty to eat.

You are under no obligation to help or donate but there was a donation box off to the side when you exit. No one is standing there asking you to give but I gave some US dollars for my appreciation. I used US dollars so that they would know my money was donated by a tourist. Some people were sitting in the distance and they smiled and waved at me and gave me the thumbs up after they saw that I gave something.

See my Amritsar local customs tips about helping with the food preparation or helping with cleanup.

Please rate this tip and my others if you find them interesting, useful, or like the photos. Thanks.

• MikeySoft's Profile Photo

Local near our hotel: Bread and check the Kitchen

by MikeySoft Updated Jun 18, 2010

Amritsar, making the bread

There are lots of small restaurants throughout India with wonderful breads. This restaurants is next to our Amritsar hotel and we ate there as we arrived late. The hotel was past the train station so I don't think they get too many tourist.

They usually allow you to look in the kitchen and even take photos. As our trip went on, we made it a point to check the kitchens. We had no problems in Amritsar but some places the kitchens were horrible and we refused to eat there.

Also see my "Local Customs" tips for information about Langar (Free Meal) at the Golden Temple Complex. (Link below)

Please rate this tips and my others when you find them interesting, helpful, or like the photos. Thanks.

• NYTim's Profile Photo

Crystal: Tandoori Chicken

by NYTim Written Oct 28, 2008

The food was great and the service was speedy as I was the only in there -- but by the time I had finished eating the place was packed.

Favorite Dish: Tandoori Chicken was just scrumptious. Unfortunately the beer was overpriced and not too cold.

• Beer Tasting

Golden Temple: Free sit down food

by Willettsworld Written May 5, 2007

Part of the Sikh religion is the fact that everyone is welcome to take a meal which consists of dahl (rather bland bean curry), rice and a chipati. The dining hall, which has signs over the entrance such as "The lord himself is the farm, himself is the farmer, himself he grows & grinds the corn", was packed with people when I visited, (even though it was only 10.45am), sitting on the floor in neat rows with silver trays in front of them waiting to be served.

Pizza Point: Veggie pizza's

by Willettsworld Updated May 5, 2007

Located round the corner on the road past the Jallianwala Bagh, this pizza place was OK but certainly nothing special. I had a mushroom pizza which was a bit dull as I prefer spicy meat pizza's but they only do vegetarian one's as it's close to the Golden Temple.

New Punjabi Rasoi & Neelam's: Veggie only

by Willettsworld Written May 5, 2007

The surrounding area around the Golden Temple is deemed to be a religious area and so meat is regarded as a complete no-no. There's actually not many restaurants within the area. In the New Punjabi Rasoi I had a mushroom masala, rice and naan which was good. Neelam's does do breakfast but only after 9am. I came to Neelam's for dinner on my last night in Amritsar and they had meat on the menu, or should that be on the walls and seats near me, as a couple of small cockroaches were around. Not nice whilst eating!

• sacs2k1's Profile Photo

Surjit Chicken House: Tandoori Chicken

by sacs2k1 Updated Apr 1, 2006

Surjit Chicken House is situated in Nehru Shopping Complex , Lawrence Road. This is about 5 KMs from Golden Temple and a Rickshaw (trishaw) ride will take about 20 mins to reach (for Rs. 20 - one way). Its a basic eatery with no fancy decoration or frills. Just the tables, chairs, a TV and ACs plus the tempting smell of Chicked being roasted in an Oven (tandoor).

Favorite Dish: Tandoori Chicken - Chicken (not boneless) roasted in an Indian Oven (tandoor) and sprinkled with Indian Spices and served with spicy chilly-mint sauce, a slice of lemon and onion.... Try it if you can handle the heat out of your ears.....yummy!

• SmileyLeSa's Profile Photo

The Brothers: An Ecelectic Mix of Food

by SmileyLeSa Updated Jan 22, 2005

Whether you are in the mood for Indian Food, Chinese or something All-American, Brothers has it for you. This is pretty much the Indian equivalent to a diner.

Favorite Dish: My dad had the saag and makhi roti, which was very good. I opted for pizza. I thought I would give Indian pizza a shot. Up until now, I had been eating only Indian food. I was very pleasantly surprised. It was very good.

• 8Bloem's Profile Photo

Sri Guru ka Langar: Get a Free Meal with a Good Feeling To Boot

by 8Bloem Written Oct 19, 2004

This free restaurant really is something different. Up to 50.000 people are fed here daily, and all for free. There is no real way to describe it, just go and see for yourself. It's open 24/7, so if you're craving for a mid-night snack, this is the place to go!

Favorite Dish: They only have one dish: the dish of the day, usually consisting of rice (sometimes curried) with dal (curried lentils), and chappatis. But you may get lucky and eat there on a rice pudding (with sugar and coconut) -day. That's the great thing, you just never know. As always, donations are very welcome. As is volunteer work in either the cooking- or the dishwashing-department.

All meals are veg.

• Religious Travel

• l_joo's Profile Photo

Invisible foods of Amritsar: Invisible foods of Amritsar

by l_joo Written Jul 29, 2004

Invisible foods of Amritsar is my first choice if you need my advise to gratify your stomach. I snap this photo for our viewers around the world to make sure they try this kind of foods, only available in Amritsar. The location is Golden Temple.

• thelittlevoice's Profile Photo

Pizza Point: Pizza Point

by thelittlevoice Updated Apr 27, 2004

I think the fact that my friend and I were so attached to Pizza Hut in Agra, we wish there were one in Amritsar too. I didn't think one would exist otherwise I would hear someone here mentioned it but then I thought there were not many tips about this place anyway so I might as well ask around. I asked this guy at the tourist information center and he said there was one. He told me how to get there. We rushed off to find it but to find that it was called Pizza Point. We were disappointed but thought maybe there's a good dish. We ordered ice cream and they were melt! They tasted a bit weird too.

• shintarojon's Profile Photo

Guru Ram Das Langar: Free Kitchen!!!

by shintarojon Updated Mar 21, 2004

Guru Ram Das Langar

(last date visited - Jan. 27-28, 2004)

Look for Guru Ramdas Langar (Free Kitchen) inside the Golden Temple and you can have your free breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Being serve to all visitors 24 hours irrespective of religion & nationality and you can even eat many times as you want!!! Just dal and chappati...nothing else!!!

Instant Answers: Amritsar

Comments

Amritsar Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Amritsar restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Amritsar sightseeing.