Amritsar Transportation

Khalsa Sikh Rickshaw driver.
    by mittoo
    Rickshaw travel in Amritsar.
    by mittoo
  • Transportation
    by MikeySoft

Most Recent Transportation in Amritsar

• mittoo's Profile Photo

Cycle-Rickshaw travel

by mittoo Written Apr 1, 2013

There are numerous "Cycle-Rickshaw" taxis in Amritsar. Some of the cycle-rickshaw peddlers dress themselves in the typical Sikh Khals attire and look majestic in their clothing wwith the traditional sword strapped to their side. Cycle-Rickshaws are the cheapest and most convenient way to sight-see the city of Amritsar.

Khalsa Sikh Rickshaw driver. Rickshaw travel in Amritsar.
    • Adventure Travel

• MikeySoft's Profile Photo

Walking, Cycle and Auto Rickshaws.

by MikeySoft Updated Jun 15, 2010

We walked to many places but also took Auto and cycle rickshaws to several places. Make sure you agree on the price before you go. The normal price is a lot cheaper then the asking price. After a while, you get to know what a fair price is.

Please rate this tip and my others if you find them interesting, useful, or like the photos. Thanks

Amritsar cycle rickshaw

• MikeySoft's Profile Photo

Planes, Trains, or Automobiles

by MikeySoft Updated Jun 15, 2010

There are various trains between Amritsar and places like Delhi and Agra. It is best to check irctc.co.in or indianrail.gov.in for train schedules

The are also flights between Amritsar and Delhi. I originaly want to take a train from Delhi to Amritsar and then a train to Agra and maybe get a car/driver in Agra for Rajasthan. However ended getting a car/driver for Amritsar and Rajasthan while I was in Delhi.

I think the train is a good idea but should you decite to get a car/driver in Delhi, be sure to read my "Warnings Or Dangers" tip.

• earthflyer's Profile Photo

Train & Accommodation in Amritsar

by earthflyer Written Dec 19, 2009

When you cross the border into Attari in India take an Auto-Rickshaw or a taxi into Amritsar about 30km away. From Aritsar take a train to delhi, which there is 2 daily Shatabdi Express Trains 5am & 5pm both take around 6 hours to delhi so I guess about 4 and half hours to Ambala.

For accommodation in Amritsar I stayed in Tourist Guesthouse a popular budget place for travellers and I had my own room with shower & tv for about 200Rs

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

Cycle & Auto Rickshaws Are The Way To Go

by Donna_in_India Updated Oct 28, 2009

You can easily walk around Amritsar. Two of the major sites – Golden Temple Complex and Jallianwala Bagh – are very close together. Durgiana Temple is a little further and if it’s hot, you might want to take a cycle-rickshaw. Cycle-rickshaws are the cheapest way to get around. Auto-rickshaws are also available for longer rides. For either, be sure to agree to a price before you get in (especially if the auto-rickshaw is off the meter).

There are so many cycle-rickshaws and a lot of competition for passengers, so if you are taken to a restaurant, the driver will wait for you while you eat. The cost is extremely minimal and you won’t have to worry about finding a ride home. (We had a nice driver who offered to wait and it just seemed like a good idea.)

If you head to Wagah Border, you can take an auto-rickshaw, a taxi/private car, or one of the many buses. We used the car available from our hotel – it was very reasonable, we weren’t stuffed into a bus with 50 people or bumping along for 45 minutes in a rickshaw.

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

Flying To Amritsar

by Donna_in_India Written Oct 28, 2009

Amritsar takes a little getting to. The express train from Delhi takes about 6 hours, the regular train about 9. With our travelling companions (elderly mother-in-law and 4 month old daughter) we decided flying was best for us.

From Delhi flights are available on Air India/Indian Airlines, Kingfisher, and Jet Airways. The airport in Amritsar (Rajsansi Airport) is an international airport (much of it still under construction) and many of the flights continue on out of the country after stopping in Amritsar. It is important to know what your flight does because you will need to use the international airport in Delhi (instead of the domestic) and allow extra check-in time as well.

Once you arrive in Amritsar, you will find plenty of taxis or auto-rickshaws available for the 10km (15-20 minutes) ride.

• search hotel by riksha (beware !)

by brrijesh Written Aug 17, 2009

Always try your luck in the hotel by yourself , don't rely on riksha walas as they have their share and also they drive you all places round the amritsar. I have face this problem when i went their in weekend. I am not saying that all riksha walas are bad but some of them in railway station.

Also I suggest visitors to visit Model Town Temple, Model Town, Amritsar. It is good as this temple has a prototype of maa vaishno devi temple and idols resembling lots of religious places. Nice place.

Happy journey. I had a great time at amritsar.

• M.E.R.V's Profile Photo

Get to the airport on time or else...

by M.E.R.V Written Aug 14, 2007

The Raja Sansi Airport in Amritsar serves several major Indian cities and also internationally to Singapore and Tashkent(Uzbekistan). Although the airport is only 11km from the city centre, do allow yourself at least 20mins to get there during non peak hours. We didn't and regretted it. We missed our flight to Delhi by 5mins and weren't allowed to board. All other flights were full and trust me it wasn't the nicest feeling on earth especially when we had another flight to catch in Delhi at night. We got a great deal on Air Deccan a week before but ended up paying someone Rs8000 which was more than the total cost of our budget flight to drive us all the way to Delhi bearing in mind that he will be driving back with an empty load. It was probably one of the worst experiences in my life - 9hours non-stop on the road cramped in a car which it should have only been over an hour in the air. And it wasn't even my fault! The girls were the ones that were taking their own sweet time. When we arrived, the guy wanted more money although he had agreed on the amount before we left Amritsar. He didn't get any of course - we were all pissed off with a foul mood. LOL!

• Willettsworld's Profile Photo

Transport to the border

by Willettsworld Written May 5, 2007

If you hang around the dining hall entrance of the Golden Temple (near the accomodation blocks) you may get approached by someone asking you if you want a shared jeep to the border at Atari in order to watch the border ceremony. I hung around and a Sikh guy came up to me and asked if I wanted to go the border ceremony and I said "yes, how much?" to which he replied "75 rupees". The border is about 30km away so it worked out at being a good price. I said OK and he gave me a slip of paper from his small notepad with his name and mobile number on it plus the cost (which I had to give him Rs25 as a deposit). After he left, all I kept thinking was is this a scam or is it genuine? But it's hardly a scam if all he took from me was Rs25! But it wasn't a scam and I came back at the time he said (3pm) the guy appeared and told me to wait where I was. I saw a western couple walk past and then he and some other guy called to them and then called me over to them. A Toyota jeep was parked up and all together there was 10 of us going to the border. I was in the back on a bench seat with three other Hindu guys.

• Willettsworld's Profile Photo

Train station

by Willettsworld Written May 5, 2007

This is the train station in Amritsar. I actually walked through it in order to get from the Sri Durgiana Temple to the Mata Temple on the other side of the tracks. I left Amritsar on the early morning Shatabdi Express (No.2014) that leaves at 05:10 to get back to Delhi. As the train station is quite far away from the Golden Temple, there is a reservation office on the corner of the temple complex. I booked 4 trains from here as it wasn't that busy (at least when I was there!).

• Carguja's Profile Photo

Long distance in Train

by Carguja Updated Feb 13, 2007

4 hour train from Delhi to Amritsar, even the distance looks short is a long way, during the journey the indu train serves you a lot of food for free, and the price of the ticket is ridiculuos...but long 4 hours to get there...1 deparute in the morning and 1 return at 3 or 4 PM

• sacs2k1's Profile Photo

Rickshaws (trishaws)

by sacs2k1 Written Apr 1, 2006

Rickshaw pullers usually ask for more money from tourists (but you can always bargain and they will agree). The maximum you should pay is Rs. 20 per trip even if he claims that the distance is too much. You'll just need a rickshaw ride to come from Old city to the new city (this is divided by a bridge which you'll have to do by walking as the rickshaw puller cannot pull you on the steep climbs) and to go back. Erstwhile you can explore the old city walking around the narrow streets. You won't feel much heat (in summers) as the streets are very narrow and enclosed in 3-4 storied building which makes them remain cool.

• sacs2k1's Profile Photo

Free Bus to Golden Temple

by sacs2k1 Written Apr 1, 2006

You can hop on to a Free Bus Service from Amritsar Railway Station to Golden Temple and vice versa. The bus operates every 30 mins and is usually very crowded. You can take the bus from just outside the Amritsar Railway station terminal building (or you can always ask the enquiry office at the platform for exact directions).

• mariocibelli's Profile Photo

Onward Rail Tickets

by mariocibelli Written May 18, 2005

Make sure you have train tickets to go on from Amritsar before arriving, the station is VERY busy and there is no foreign tourist quota, so you can get stuck in town, I had to go to Pathankot to find a seat to get back to Delhi, unless I was going to risk unreserved in second class...

• l_joo's Profile Photo

Bus station of Amritsar

by l_joo Written Jul 30, 2004

According to the guy in the information centre, this is the only bus station of Amritsar. We paid a trishaw guy 40 Rupees to send us here to catch the bus. Don't ask me the location, I just enjoy while I was on the trishaw to look at the streets and peoples and in about 10 minutes, I was here in full awareness. Around here has many vendors selling foods and fruits, so buy some if you need.

Bus station of Amritsar

Instant Answers: Amritsar

Comments

Amritsar Transportation

Reviews and photos of Amritsar transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Amritsar sightseeing.