Amer Transportation

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

Elephant to Amber Fort

by MalenaN Written Nov 20, 2010

Elephant to Amber Fort

Some people ride an elephant up to Amber Fort. I did not. Is it not far to walk and it is expensive, Rs 900 (August 2010) for an elephant that takes two tourists at a time. Even if you sit on padded seats it doesn’t look too comfortable and at high season the queues can be long. The well-being of the elephants has been debated, but I have heard that it has become better.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

From Jaipur to Amber by bus

by MalenaN Written Nov 11, 2010

The main street through Amber

I had read in my guidebook that buses for Amber leaves from a bus stop near Hawa Mahal. I confirmed this at the hotel and then went out to take an auto rickshaw. The auto rickshaw driver agreed to take me there for Rs 50 (August 2010). He did not go all the way to Hawa Mahal, but stopped at MI Road, near New Gate and said it was better to take the bus from there. I was afraid I would not know which bus to stop but the driver said he would stay to stop the right bus. After one minute the bus arrived and the signs were of course only in Hindu. I got a seat and paid Rs 7 to Amber. We passed Hawa Mahal and about half an hour later we were in Amber. In Amber the bus stopped just by the palace.

Going back to Jaipur I asked in the bus if it was going to MI Road (which was not so far away from my hotel as Hawa Mahal was). I went off the bus when it left MI Road after passing the Ram Niwas Public Gardens, just before Ajmer Gate.

• MM212's Profile Photo

Getting to Amber

by MM212 Written Oct 25, 2010

buffalos crossing the road

Amber is about a 15 minute drive north of Jaipur, on the way to Delhi. Public transport is available, but if you have the opportunity to go with a private car and driver, it is the easiest way to visit. In Jaipur it should not cost an exorbitant amount, particularly if one is travelling in a group of 3 or 4 people. The drive is scenic and rather amusing with the number of animals seen along the way. The attached photos speak for themselves (taken along the way).

Instant Answers: Amer

Comments

Amer Transportation

Reviews and photos of Amer transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Amer sightseeing.