Stores, Malls or Markets in Jaipur

• Shops
    by lomi
    Bazaar in Jaipur
    by lynnehamman
  • Fine precious stone necklaces on display/for sale
    Fine precious stone necklaces on...
    by 850prc

Most Viewed Shopping in Jaipur

Hawkers

by keeweechic Written May 30, 2006

One of the hawker sellers you will find especially around the Hawa Mandar is one selling peacock feather fans. The peacock is the national bird of India. I was always told that peacock feathers were unlucky to have in a home.. but who knows.

Johari Bazaar

by keeweechic Written May 30, 2006

Johari Bazaar is the jewellery seekers paradise. Jaipur is known for its precious and semi-precious stones as well as traditionally designed jewellery, in fact the city is known as the ‘Gem City’ of India. You will find necklaces, pendants, earings, rings, bracelets and other pieces made up of precious or semi-precious stones. While I didn’t buy at the Bazaar, I did succumb to a piece of jewellery and was pleasantly surprised with the valuation when I returned home. Johari Bazaar is open 7 days although some of the bazaar is closed on Sunday and Tuesday.

• Architecture

Sierh Deori Bazaar

by keeweechic Written May 30, 2006

Sierh Deori Bazaar is where you will find the ‘Palace of the Winds’ (Hawa Mahal).
    Along the road to Agra through a narrow gorge in the south-eastern corner of the walled city.
    Most of the buildings in this old walled section of the city are painted in a rust-like colour. The Kalki Temple also opens out into this bazaar. Various stores line this road.

• Architecture

Bapu Bazaar

by keeweechic Written May 30, 2006

Bapu Bazaar is the place to find ‘Mojri’ footware (also known as Juti). This type of shoe is made from soft camel leather. They are usually very colourful and embroidered and fairly inexpensive. The bazaar is found within the old city area between the Sanganeri Gate and New Gate. It is closed on Sunday.

Tripoli Bazaar

by keeweechic Written May 30, 2006

Tripoli Bazaar lies between Chhoti Chaupa and Manak Chowk and is well known for being able to buy household goods and metal ware such as steel almirahs, trunks and bicycle shops. There is also plenty of other goods to choose from – carpets, furniture, textiles and trinkets. Durries can also be bought here although the best place is Achrol House, Subhash Chowk. The bazaar is closed on Sundays.

• SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

Art with a Difference

by SabrinaSummerville Written May 4, 2006

My hotel bedroom in Jaipur had ffour beautiful Indian paintings grouped together on one wall. It was clear that they were originals, and to me it looked as though they were antiques because of the paper they were painted on. I loved them and looked at them every day.

You can therefore imagine my delight when we drove from Jaipur to Delhi and my driver stopped at a little roadside shack of a shop which sold every sort of thing - including some of these paintings! It turns out that they are painted by modern artists on reconstituted very aged paper. I managed to buy two and now I have them proudly hanging in my hall.

Here are photos of each of them for you to enjoy.

What to pay: These paintings were pretty inexpensive, but look a million dollars.

• SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

Bhandari Jewellers: Jewellery in Jaipur

by SabrinaSummerville Updated Jan 31, 2006

Wherever I travel in the world I like to treat myself to something special, a permanent souvenir to remind me of the place I?ve been.

Before I left for India I determined to buy myself some very glamorous rubies. As Delhi was my first stop, I set off immediately searching for my treasure, with an enthusiasm that only a lady can have for her sparklies.

This was a bit of a mistake, as I subsequently discovered that each City in India has its own speciality. In Delhi it?s carpets and rugs and in Jaipur it?s jewellery. I believe that most of the stones are imported, but cut and polished in Jaipur. Some stones are mined within the country and the salesmen will be very happy to explain all this to you and tell you which stones are native. The rubies, which I longed for, come from Burma.

We were brought by our guide and driver to the most wonderful jewellery store, Bhandari Jewellers. At the entrance there are live exhibits of the cutting and polishing of precious stones, and inside there is a vast showroom with dazzling displays of cut and polished stones, and finished pieces.

The salesmen will bend over backwards to facilitate you. I fell in love with a ruby and diamond necklace which was, I felt, shaped like the palace of the winds. It cost far more than I was prepared to spend, so the assistant altered the piece by removing some pendants of rubies so that it still looked stunning but was at a price I was prepared to pay.

I am only sorry that I bought earrings in Delhi first!

What to pay: A lot less than what they ask you for - bargain and they will substantially discount their asking price.

Rubies from India Carpet weaving in Jaipur
    • Luxury Travel
    • Women's Travel

• grets's Profile Photo

Block Printing Workshop: A tourist trap par excellence

by grets Written Aug 7, 2005

At the block printing workshop, we were persuaded to buy a table cloth, printed with elephants. Costing only a few dollars, this is one of the best buys I have ever made - I still use this tablecloth today, some 17 years later! It has faded but remains a firm favourite! We also bought some silk materials which were hand made on the premises.

Very similar to my elephant cloth

• Akar Marble Industries: Marble Table Tops

by YuetWei Written Jun 17, 2005

Akar Marble makesnatural stone products including marble fountains, garden furniture, marble & semiprecious stones inlay table tops, etc.

What to buy: India is known for its marble table tops inlaid with semiprecious stones - its really lovely work but don't be fooled. This merchant lied to me about the cost of shipping and their ability to deliver to my door. He shipped damaged goods to me, denied all responsibility and forced the nightmare and expense of port clearing charges on me (after charging me for it). I ended up spending almost $2000 and I got nothing but damaged goods and a lot of hassle. Stay away from this highly unethical merchant.

• Luxury Travel

M.I. ROAD: JAIPUR'S MAIN STREET

by Siddha3th Written May 15, 2005

M.I. (Mirza Ismail) Road, is Jaipur's central shopping avenue. There's everything here - boutiques, furnishing stores, bookstores, banks, the whole lot. There are also a couple of decent restaurants and pubs around.

In the mornings, every hour's like rush hour on this stretch. It gets packed as hell with traffic and shoppers. So you better pace yourself on M.I. Road. But many of the shops are in these grand, old, white buildings - quite a pretty sight.

M.I. Road
    • Study Abroad

HAWA MAHAL BAZAAR: A THRIFT-STORE JUNKIE'S PARADISE

by Siddha3th Written May 15, 2005

Over a long stretch running past the Hawa Mahal, on both sides of the road, lies Hawa Mahal Bazaar. Like with all the marketplaces in Jaipur, the colours on display here will just overwhelm you. Red, saffron, green - with some of the crazy shopkeepers even more colourfully dressed than the stuff they're selling!

What to buy: Handbags - beautiful, unique, handmade bags - embellished with jewels and strips of different fabric.

Ghagra-cholis - these are the sexy ethnic womens garments that Rajasthan is famous for. The choli is a low-cut blouse, almost like an ethnic bikini top, which is tied to a woman's back by a single string. Man, it's just heaven ;)

Bazaar outside Hawa Mahal
    • School Holidays
    • Women's Travel

THE MAIN BAZAARS: A TREASURE TROVE OF ETHNICITY

by Siddha3th Written May 15, 2005

In Jaipur, the old city has a wall running all around it, and at intervals, there are huge ornate gates opening up to an incredible world of bazaars inside. The main gates/ corresponding streets are Chandpol, Ajmeri and Sangameri.

Inside the bazaars, it's like a Pandora's Box of wares and exotica, with glimmering jewellery and radiant clothes all vying for your attention at once. The main bazaars are all close to one another, often seperated by just a short parallel road. I got happily lost in this maze of mayhem. Several times. Wouldn't have had it any other way :)

What to buy: Johari Bazaar - satisfy your craving for ethnic jewellery here. Jewellers and goldsmiths line the streets for as far as the eye can see, selling everything from delightfully cheap copper rings and bronze pendants to more intricate, expensive Rajasthani stuff.

Nehru Bazaar - filled with fabric sellers, perfume merchants and trinket-wallahs, Nehru Bazaar looks like it's in festival mode every day of the week! Bargain your heart out, and pick up stuff you're unlikely to find anywhere else.

Bazaar hustle-bustle
    • Singles

• NedHopkins's Profile Photo

Rajasthan Small Scale Cottage Industries: Carpets and More

by NedHopkins Updated Feb 6, 2005

Carpets, jewellery, and souvenirs of all kinds (statuettes of Hindu gods, the Buddha, and historical figures, for example) are sold in this emporium.

A Government of India certificate gives assurance that none of the store's products were made by child labor.

I bought a gorgeous, 6x9' Indo-Persian carpet (handwoven, silk, 1600 knots psi). I was told it would go to New Delhi that very day; be shipped by DHL; and arrive at my home in California 10-14 days later. It did: it beat me home.

If you visit the store, ask to see the huge marble replica of the Taj Mahal that's kept in a curtained-off storage area.

What to buy: Carpets. Prices are better than what I found in Delhi.

The jewellery and souvenir items were not much different from what one finds in tiny to large stores all over India.

What to pay: Small, woolen carpets can be had for less than US$200; 9x12' and larger silk rugs can go into five figures.

6'x9' Silk Carpet

• schlumpf's Profile Photo

Guesthouses’ Shops: Guesthouses’ Shops

by schlumpf Written Jan 28, 2005

I never though to buy something in a GH’s shop, but in Jaipuir I did.
    The main items to buy in Jaipur are the jewerly, the Jooti and the hand made paper (like books and diaries). Well, on the street the quality is not alway good, moreover whjen we are talking about Jewelries, and the prices are very floating, depending on your ability on bargain!
    If you want to buy some Jewelery, like red coral, go only in shops reckon from the state.
    I bought some coral in such a place, that was into the property of Jaipur Inn Guest Hoiuse. The quality was by far from the street sellers!!!!

• schlumpf's Profile Photo

The toursitic Market: The toursitic Market

by schlumpf Written Jan 28, 2005

If you need or want to buy some tipical craft, this is the place, but as it is very very very touristic, you gotta take care about the common tourist traps. So, first of all keep in mind to bargain!
    In the market, located in front of the Hawa Mahal, you can find all the items produced in Japir, from the tipical shoes “jooti” (rs 100-200) to the Saree, silk in general, clothes, hand made papaer and so on.
    As said the prices here are pretty high, but you simply need to bargain a bit, then the price become smaller and smaller.
    One thing you gotta take care is definitely the Jewelry items. In this part, not all the shops are selling ttorugh jewelry, indeed there are a lot of Fake corals sold here! Take care!.

Jaipur Hotels

Latest: May 20, 2014
Samode Haveli
Latest: Jul 5, 2014

Instant Answers: Jaipur

Comments

Jaipur Shopping

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Jaipur locals.
Map of Jaipur