How to get around?, Jaipur

Know about this? Rate It!

things we saw on our way
    by ashafruddin

From Agra to Jaipur by bus

by MalenaN Updated Nov 12, 2010

The City Palace in Jaipur

There are trains between Agra and Jaipur and I went to Agra Fort station to ask for the schedule. The train was leaving too early, around 6am. So instead I asked the man at my hotel which bus stand I should go to for the buses to Jaipur. He told me to go to the new bus terminal outside town as the luxury buses leaves from there. In the morning another man at the reception told me to go to Idgah Bus Stand instead. I thought that was the best too as it was closer and there would always be a regular bus from there. From Taj Ganj (East Gate) I paid Rs 50 (August 2010) for an auto rickshaw to Idgah Bus Stand.

When I arrived at Idgah Bus Stand it was 7.15am. The man in the first counter I went to sold tickets for the 7.30 bus, a luxury bus. The problem, for me, was that it was leaving from the new bus terminal more than 5km away. He said I could take a taxi there , but that was not a good option for me. I asked for the regular bus and it turned out it was leaving at 7.20, just in a few minutes. Of course I chose that one. It was Rs 159 and took less than 6 hours. Half along the way we stopped and some people ate at a food stall. I only walked around.

In Jaipur the bus stopped at the Main Bus Stand. From there it was not too far (about 1 km) to walk to my hotel, the Hotel Pearl Palace.

The next day I met a man who had been staying in the same hotel as me in Agra. He had gone to Jaipur on the same day as me, but he took the train and left earlier than me and arrived later than me. I’m glad I took the regular bus.

From Jaipur to Delhi by bus

by MalenaN Written Nov 12, 2010

Window in Hawa Mahal

I decided to take the bus from Jaipur to Dehli as they are frequent and you don’t have to book a ticket in advance. In the morning I took an auto rickshaw from Hotel Pearl Palace to the bus stand as it looked like the rain was going to pour down any minute. The rickshaw was Rs 40 (August 2010).

At the bus stand I was directed to a ticket counter, but as the bus to Dehli just started to move the man behind the counter said go, go and I then bought the ticket on the bus. The ticket to Dehli was Rs 175 and the ride took around 5- 6 hours. It was one of those big regular buses with two seats on one side and three seats on the other side. My backpack could not fit in the narrow shelf above so I had it by my feet. Only for a short while the bus was full, otherwise it was plenty of space the rest of the trip. All the open windows can be a nuisance if it gets too windy and dusty. I had to ask the man in front of me to close his window and so he did and then it was okay. Halfway we stopped for people to eat or buy snacks. Beside the bus there was a row of smelly urinals so waiting near the bus was not an option.

In Delhi the bus stopped along a main road in the south part of Dehli. The auto rickshaw drivers told me they could take me to Paharganj for Rs 250. Well, a few weeks earlier I had taken a taxi from the airport, which was further south, to Paharganj for Rs 225. When I told the drivers about this they changed their price to Rs 200 and then Rs 150. I saw a small traffic police booth 20 metres away and walked over to it even if it looked closed. It turned out there were two men inside eating. They told me to wait a few minutes and then I could pay for a prepaid auto rickshaw as this was one of the prepaid taxi booths. To take an auto rickshaw to Paharganj was Rs 95 (Rs 80 + Rs 10 for baggage + Rs 5 for service).

From Jaipur to Amber by bus

by MalenaN Updated Nov 11, 2010

Bazaar street in Old Town

I had read in my guidebook that buses for Amber leaves from a bus stop near Hawa Mahal. I confirmed this at the hotel and then went out to take an auto rickshaw. The auto rickshaw driver agreed to take me there for Rs 50 (August 2010). He did not go all the way to Hawa Mahal, but stopped at MI Road, near New Gate and said it was better to take the bus from there. I was afraid I would not know which bus to stop but the driver said he would stay to stop the right bus. After one minute the bus arrived and the signs were of course only in Hindu. I got a seat and paid Rs 7 to Amber. We passed Hawa Mahal and about half an hour later we were in Amber. In Amber the bus stopped just by the palace.

Going back to Jaipur I asked in the bus if it was going to MI Road (which was not so far away from my hotel as Hawa Mahal was). I went off the bus when it left MI Road after passing the Ram Niwas Public Gardens, just before Ajmer Gate.

• shoma's Profile Photo

volvo buses to delhi and jaipur

by shoma Written Jun 27, 2007

luxurious and silent air conditioned buses ply from new delhi to jaipur and vice versa every 2 hrs from bikaner house, central delhi area in new delhi and from sindhi camp in jaipur. they are very comfortable and there is no long queues for tickets. cost is about 460 indian rupees

when in jaipur, travelling by cycle rickshaw in the pink city area is a better option. if you have the inclination you can also cycle your way through and watch the old city.

• Cycling
    • Eco-Tourism

• schlumpf's Profile Photo

Rent a Rickshaw and visit Jaipur

by schlumpf Written Jan 28, 2005

The easiest way to visit Jaipur is to rent for a whole day a Rickshaw. First of all, you gotta be definitely clear to the driver. He will drive you some times into some shops, where the seller will pay him a commision. So, if you do not want to get stressed all day long, be clear with him, maybe pay him something more, but in this way you are sure to avoid those stuff.
    The day could beginn with the visit of the Hawa Mahal, then he could drive you to the Monkley Temple and the Fort. After visiting the amzing Monkley temple you can rest a bit in a bar beside the buildings, wehere the atrmosphere is pretty relaxed and where you can chill drinking something cold, as here the temperatures are definitely hot!
    After that he could drive you back and reach on the way Jal Mahal and get you back to the City Palace and the Jantar Mantar.
    After all that, he could drive ytou to the Tiger Fort and leave you in the Flower Market.
    In this way you visited all the sites of Jaipur in one day, and on the second day you can reach Amber fort and spend here few hours.
    For such an itinerary (considering to avoid all the stops in shops and so on), do not pay more then 200Rs total.

Simply wait for a Rickshaw and bargain!

• rukshanatourist's Profile Photo

try the local buses its fun

by rukshanatourist Written Feb 21, 2008

things we saw on our way

Me and my boyfriend wanted to doa very cheap trip in jaipur.we did not want to spend loads of bucks by travelling in the tourist buses who do not give you space to explore the place on your own.so we decided to travel by local buses,rickshaws and whatever comes our way.At times we would leave the bus before we reach our destination and then go on foot enjoying the scenic places around especially around Amer.It was fun.But please be careful about the rickshaw fares they generally charge double or triple the amount it actually is.Sometimes asking a passerby about the fare who is alocalite helps.so all the best my friends have fun..:)

• vanessamumbai's Profile Photo

Autorickshaw a viable option

by vanessamumbai Updated Dec 20, 2011

We tried a trishaw, but it was too slow and he didn't understand us properly as he didn't speak English. It was hard work on the man too and the price is similar to an auto rickshaw. Later we found Saif who spoke good English and drove an autorickshaw. He is a funny guy and keen to bring us around at a pre-negotiated price. If you don't wish to be brought for shopping, let him know in advance. He brought us to the airport in time for departure. It turned out that going by auto was a better option when in a rush.

• Great "Golden triangle" tour by taxi

by ediediedi Written Dec 5, 2013

I've just had a great experience in India, visiting the "Golden triangle" among Delhi, Agra and Jaipur.
    Unforgettable views and monuments (not only Taj Mahal!!!), excellent food and friendly people.
    Especially if you do not have too much time, you definitely need a taxi (do not even try to rent a car unless you are used to the chaotic indian traffic!).
    Together with some friends, we met Anil, who drove us around Rajastan: very good driver, professional and nice person. He also gave us lots of useful information and suggestions.
    His contacts are:

• Waxbag's Profile Photo

Take a bicycle rickshaw to see the Old Pink City

by Waxbag Written Jun 28, 2007

Bicycle rickshaw in Jaipur

A great way to see Jaipur at a slow pace and out in the open is by bicycle. Take your camera on this one because you can get some nice shots as you slowly move in and out of traffic through the bazaars and past all the great monuments. Go in the morning or evening because the heat is just ridiculous on the poor driver.

• Architecture

• indiabazaar's Profile Photo

Transport

by indiabazaar Written Feb 21, 2004

By Air
    The city is directly connected to Delhi, Bombay, Jodhpur, Udaipur, and Ahmedabad through regular flights. All major domestic airlines do have their services to Jaipur. The total distance of the city from the airport is around 15 km. It takes around 25 minutes to reach the city.
    By Rail
    The Pink City Express leaves Delhi at 6 a.m. and reaches Jaipur at 11 a.m. Chetak Express, Jaipur-Delhi Services and another late evening train leave for Jaipur form Old Delhi Railway Station. If one has money and time than there is no other way better than Palace on Wheels, which leaves Delhi every Saturday.

• atufft's Profile Photo

Camel Cart, Horse Cart, Bicycle, etc.

by atufft Written May 17, 2007

Jaipur is fairly compact in the city center and all manner of transportation is found here: camel cart, donkey cart, horse cart, bicycle, bicycle rickshaw, motorcycle, motorcycle rickshaw, trucks, buses, and cars. Motor vehicles can't have side view mirrors, due to the hazard they present in traffic, so honking to let the driver ahead know you are there is very common.

• vpas's Profile Photo

Take the autos automatically!!

by vpas Written Apr 28, 2012

Autos are a cheap way to go around the city, however, I found many a times, foreigners were being charged much more than the prevalent rate. So better to ask at the hotel the approximate fare to the place you are going to and then hire an auto.

• vpas's Profile Photo

For short distances inside Jaipur

by vpas Written Apr 28, 2012

For short distances inside Jaipur you could engage cycle rikshaws which are reasonable, the men riding these need the money and if going for short distances, this is good way of commuting. These are usually cheaper than autos.

• ashafruddin's Profile Photo

The Ambassador

by ashafruddin Written Oct 10, 2008
    The three who braved the Ambassador ride

A convenient way to move around is to hire a taxi. A start price for a whole day inclusive of parking fees and a/c is around 800 rupees. October is still hot, so get an a/c taxi and dont mess around with that classic Indian-made car Ambassador as the a/c moves in tandem with the outside temperature. Indica may be a better bet but check whether or not its working. By the way you dont need to ride on the elephants to go up Amber Fort unless of course if you want to. Believe me even in a long distance ride the a/c remains just as inefficient! Anyway for a Jaipur- Agra trip they'll probably shave off 500 rupees from the foreigner standard price of 4000 rupees. But hey you do get a nice sauna!

• solopes's Profile Photo

Rickshaw

by solopes Updated Sep 27, 2011
    Jaipur - India

Maybe you feel some constraint (as I did) to accept being pulled around by the effort of a man. But remember, it's their job, and life will be harder with... no clients. So, be aware that the rickshaw is the best way to tour the city at a cheap price.
    After all, cycling around such a plane city is not the toughest job they may choose.

Instant Answers: Jaipur

Comments

Other Transportation in Jaipur