Jaisalmer Local Customs

Name of two couples who married on 2013
    by vinod-bhojak
  • A Ganesh from 2007(  wedding dates painted )
    A Ganesh from 2007( wedding dates...
    by vinod-bhojak
  • A Ganesh out side of House marriage on 2014 Feb.
    A Ganesh out side of House marriage on...

Best Rated Local Customs in Jaisalmer

• atufft's Profile Photo

Camel Faces

by atufft Written May 13, 2007

Camel in Your Face

I love camels. They are the strangest creatures with the funniest faces. They are also very intelligent, more so than horses, I believe. I had been amused by camels in Jaisalmer that had birds on their backs. I also go lucky with this funny photo of a camel face.

• Horse Riding
    • Desert

• Willettsworld's Profile Photo

Chhatrel village people

by Willettsworld Written Nov 24, 2007

After visiting the Parshvanath Temple at Lodurva, our driver took us to this little desert village called Chhatrel where he lived and where he was picking up his sister from and dropping her off at some wedding ceremony elsewhere. No sooner had we arrived, we were surrounded by children wanting sweets, pens or money. One lady took me to a shop where she showed me a large packet or sweets which I bought for the children. They were very happy afterwards! We also met several of the villages and were allowed to take photo's them including a couple of elderly guys who may have been the village elders. Our drivers sister was very ornately dressed with lots of piercings, bangles, chins and other jewellery. You could say that she was very "blinged up"! India's like their bling (wearing lots of jewellery to show their wealth). She was off to attend a wedding ceremony in another village and our driver, was taking her there after dropping us off to hook up with our camels. I asked our driver what the villages thought of his new shiny black 4x4 car as there were no other vehicles in the village. He said that he got treated as a "big man"!

• vinod-bhojak's Profile Photo

Marriage customs-Ganesh painting out side of house

by vinod-bhojak Written Mar 13, 2014

A Ganesh from 2007(  wedding dates painted )

When people in Jaisalmer get married, they paint a Ganesh outside their doors and wall with a wedding date and name of bride and groom on it. I found these lovely paintings all over Jaisalmer as I walked around.the picture is of Ganesha, the God Ganapati, the remover of all obstacles, with the wordings around it invoking blessings. On the right, there are invocations to Lord Krishna, above and to the left of the jar with the Coconut and the Betel leaves. This board has some of my favorites.What is interesting is that all the walls that I saw listed only marriages from the current generation.

• Festivals

• Willettsworld's Profile Photo

Jain Religion

by Willettsworld Written Nov 25, 2007

Jainism is one of the oldest religions in the world and originates from ancient India. The Jains follow the teachings of the 24 Jinas (conquerors) who are also known as Tirthankars. The 24th Tirthankar, Lord Mahavira lived in ca. 6th century BC. One of the main characteristics of Jain belief is the emphasis on the immediate consequences of one's behaviour. Jains are a small but influential religious minority with at least 4.2 million practitioners in modern India and more in growing immigrant communities in the United States, Western Europe, Africa, the Far East and elsewhere. Jainism stresses spiritual independence and equality of all life with particular emphasis on non-violence towards all living beings. Jains are strict vegetarians and the more orthodox ones cover their mouths to avoid inadvertently swallowing living organisms.

• Religious Travel

• Carino's Profile Photo

Hassle-free Jaisalmer

by Carino Written Apr 21, 2007

Compared with Jaipur, Delhi and other cities, there is less hassle in Jaisalmer. The shop owners are less agressiv and are sometimes even very funny! Enjoy Jaisalmer.

• tremendopunto's Profile Photo

Sleeping on the roof

by tremendopunto Written Aug 23, 2006

sleeping on the roof

Because the enduring sunshine turns every sandstone house into an oven, the people prefer sleeping outside on the roof at night.

• herzog63's Profile Photo

Shadows.....

by herzog63 Written Jun 27, 2003

Camel Shadow

I couldn't resist this photo that was taken during mid-morning. In this photo you can see the camel driver on the camel with me. Things you do for fun when your in the desert!

• Desert
    • Eco-Tourism

• o00o's Profile Photo

o00o's Local Custom Tip

by o00o Written Sep 17, 2002

Instant Answers: Jaisalmer

Comments

Jaisalmer Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Jaisalmer local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Jaisalmer sightseeing.