Jaisalmer Restaurants

by aleymilano

Most Recent Restaurants in Jaisalmer

Trio restaurant: Posh place located by Amar Sagar Gate

by Willettsworld Written Nov 25, 2007

I saw this place whilst visiting the Jawahir Vilas and thought that it looked good to have lunch at. So, I went up the steps and was called over to a table by a Canadian couple who I met in a travel agents whilst booking a flight. This is a very posh place with proper white tablecloths and silver cutlery. Good food washed down with good beer. Very nice place!

8 July Restaurant: Great location

by Willettsworld Written Nov 25, 2007

This restaurant has been run by an Australian since 1963 and they have things like vegemite on the menu! Came here for breakfast which was pretty good and it's got a great view from a high balcony over the main square in the fort. You can watch the local cows get in the way as well as the daily goings on within the fort.

Refreshing Point Rooftop Restaurant: Not the best

by Willettsworld Written Nov 25, 2007

This place, within the fort, is fairly high up next to the 8 July Restaurant in the main square. I came here and had a pizza and was the only one and it's not all that hard to find out why. The place isn't the cleanest in the world and is accessed up a narrow set of steps and has wonky tables (i.e. not stable), which annoy me especially when eating. The pizza wasn't the best I've had so I wouldn't bother coming here and go to the 8 July instead.

Camel Trek: Eating al fresco

by Willettsworld Written Nov 24, 2007

Our guide cooked us some great food during our camel trek. All the food cooked was vegetarian as we're on the move all the time and so storing meat is impossible. It was actually nice to eat food that you saw being prepared, in India, instead of it being prepared behind the scenes in a restaurant. For lunch on the first day we ate pea and carrot curry, chapatis and chi which was very good. He also cooked me another curry dish which was very spicy which I also liked as I like spicy food. For dinner that evening, he cooked us cauliflower and pea curry, rice, chapatis, fruit and more chi. Breakfast consisted of porridge (which was dry and not very nice) with chopped banana, toast, jam and chi. On the second day he cooked us lunch of cabbage and other veg curry.

Natraj Restaurant: Excellent meat dishes

by Willettsworld Written Nov 24, 2007

I walked past this restaurant and saw a sign saying "Roast Lamb" and listing other western meat dishes. Being English, I thought I was seeing a mirage as finding anywhere in India selling roast anything is a bit rare and so after 2 months in India I had to sample it. The roast lamb was wonderful, just like you get back home and came with fresh potatoes and vegetables! I ordered hot apple pie and ice cream for dessert. It was so good that I came back again and had roast chicken and a hot fudge nut sundae expecting it to come in a tall glass but it arrived on a small saucer and didn't look all that much. I said to the manager that a sundae should be in a tall glass and he said if I wanted a banana split instead to which I replied that I did. It came in a tall glass! Doh! Oh well. It wasn't that good as it had pure strawberry jam in the bottom which was far to sweet and sickly too eat but this place is brilliant!

• Willettsworld's Profile Photo

No meat inside fort?: All vegetarian

by Willettsworld Written Nov 24, 2007

Very rare meet within the fort!

I'm a bit of a carnivore but I think meat is completely off any of the menus within the fort. I didn't see any mention of meat in the few places I ate at. I suppose it may have something to do with the Jain Temples within the fort or something but if you're hankering after meat then your best bet is to try some of the restaurants outside the fort, such as the Natraj (see next tip).

The Trio: The Trio

by Carino Written Apr 21, 2007

The Trio is known as one of the best restaurants in town and maybe in the state. We went during lunch time for a drink (Sweet Lassi at 30 Rp, 7up at 25 Rp). We also had take away food for dinner, which we could enjoy during our train ride.

Favorite Dish: We had Vegetable Fried Rice (50 Rp), Rajastan Gatta (50 Rp, dumpling made with chickpea flour) and Bh. Tomato (60 Rp). Good Stuff!

Little Tibet: Little Tibet

by Carino Written Apr 21, 2007

Little Tibet was just around the corner of our hotel. So we gave it a try. We first waited for about 10 minutes, unnoticed. The waiter was just too busy to install his new CD/DVD Player. He finally managed to bring us the menu and we had to write down our orders by ourselves.

Favorite Dish: We went for Cheese Spinach Mushroom Gyatuk (55 Rp) and Vegetables Chicken Gyatuk (60 Rp). Both were actually quite tasty, until I found a bug in my food. You can imagine that my appetite was gone after that.

Also avoid the Sweet Lassi (25 Rp). It was warm and not good at all. Coke and Water come at 15 Rp.

Little Italy: Little Italy

by Carino Written Apr 21, 2007

Little Italy offers a great view at night. Relax on the rooftop of this small building and enjoy the fort at night.

Favorite Dish: I had Bruschetta (25 Rp) as appetizer, which you can skip. Didn't taste good at all (don't believe the Travel Guides). Then I had Pineapple Pizza as main dish (95 Rp) which was surprisingly good. My wife went for Pennne all arrabiata (90 Rp). Pasta was al dente, but not very spicy. Water and Coke come at 20 Rp.

Service was a bit slow, as the waiters only turned up to bring food or drinks. But with that view, you can easily spend some more time.

• jasonlycett's Profile Photo

Little Italy: A taste of Italy

by jasonlycett Written Jan 13, 2006

Excellent Italian restaurant, good pastas and very nice atmosphere. Although has to be said, the service is pretty hopeless, but be patient it worth the wait!

Favorite Dish: The Bruschetta and pasta arabiata, - excellent

• Waxbag's Profile Photo

Rhman's Camel Safari with Samrat Guesthouse: The Desert Kitchen

by Waxbag Written Nov 22, 2005

Desert Kitchen with Rhman Khan

This isn't a restaurant but an experience. Take a camel safari ride out of Jaisalmer and experience life in the desert. This includes eating as the village people eat. Chipatti, dahl, rice, subji (curry vegetables) and lots of chai are on the menu.

It is really facinating watching them cook with only a fire and a few utensiles. They make great hot dishes in a flash. Then they clean up the dishes by using sand. It's facinating and highly recommended.

• Safari
    • Desert

• AndreSTGT's Profile Photo

Various: Where to eat and where not to eat

by AndreSTGT Written Oct 23, 2005

Haveli

There are many places to eat in Jaisalmer, in the old fort, as well as outside.

Restaurants to avoid are IMHO :
    The Refreshing Rooftop Restaurant (bland tourist food) and the Hotel Simla Restaurant (the worst Pakoras in India!).

Really good food can be had at the simple and inexpensive Little Tibet inside the fort, and in the more upmarket Restaurant Trio in the Old Town.

• aadil's Profile Photo

Poolside Bar Beque: Restaurant by the poolside!!!

by aadil Written Jun 25, 2004

Candle light dinners by the poolside!!!

Nice restaurant by the poolside with a candle light dinner under the stars for all kinds of local Rajasthani and Indian dishes. A few continental dishes were also available!!! About Rs.1000/- for a meal for two persons. Quite filling and sumptous food!!! Chocolate mousse for dessert in the desert!!!

• Spa and Resort

• herzog63's Profile Photo

The camel drivers: Hmmm....................

by herzog63 Written Jun 27, 2003

Local Chefs???

The food that was prepared for us was really quite terrible as the camel guys assumed that we were not going to eat local food!! They brought along bread for toasting or burning on the open fire and tried preparing us some sort of french fry type fried potatoe...Well I love Indian food so they could have cooked me up some sort of Curried Gruel and I would have been happy. Before I left on the trek I didn't even think to ask what we would be eating. The Trek owner M.S. just said we would be eating 3 meals per day with a couple of snacks!! I assumed Chapatis and lentels! Cheap and easy!! If you go on an extended trek I recommend you ask what you might be eating.

Favorite Dish: Here in the photo you can see the guys preparing our breakfast. The Chai was pretty good though. I'm not one to complain about much. I always find it funny that they assumed we wouldn't like local food. I guess they have had others complain about local food. Well, I have to admit I was one of those on my first asian trip to Thailand but I soon learned to love and devour local food!!

• Desert

• mantru's Profile Photo

Desert boys dhani: typical rajasthani food

by mantru Updated Apr 4, 2011

desert boys dhani

the ambience was good they have traditional seating on the floor as well as tables.... so was the food i liked the rajasthani food kher sangri.

Favorite Dish: kher sangri(curry)

Instant Answers: Jaisalmer

Comments

Jaisalmer Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Jaisalmer restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Jaisalmer sightseeing.