Jaisalmer Things to Do

Best Rated Things to Do in Jaisalmer

Gadisar Lake

by abi_maha Updated Jan 9, 2009

Sun set begins

A lake in the middle of the desert!! You bet we were surprised!! What's more, it was a clean lake with loads of water, geese and boating!! We spent a very memorable new years eve evening here, a paddle boat ride for half an hour, a close encounter with geese in the lake and a memorable last sunset of the year 2008!

• Sailing and Boating

• Simone511's Profile Photo

Camel Safari is a must!!

by Simone511 Written May 8, 2007

Camel safari

We went on a three hour camel safari. Got driven 40kms out of town with 8 other tourists(all Westerners) where we mere met by some locals and the camels. We spent an hour and a half on the camels(wouldnt want to spend any longer as you do get quite sore!). Went through sand, rocky bits and areas with houses.
    Once we finished our camel ride, we took some photos as the sun was setting over the dunes, and were then cooked dinner which we ate by a campfire(all done for us). We sat under the stars and ate, while being told stories, both by the tour guide, and by the other people on the trip.
    We used the company run by "Mr Desert"(in Lonely Planet books), who was Indias 'Marlbro man'. As soon as you get into Jaisalmer, you have people trying to sell you camel tours, but this one was very good! The office is just to the right of the gate to the fort(up the hill)

The Jaisalmer Fort- Taking guard

Palace inside the fort

The fort is the biggest tourist attraction of the city, it houses a quarter of the population in this city, this effectively ensures that it is badly maintained, with cattle plying the narrow alleys as well as umpteen beggars!
    There is a jain temple, the maharaja and rani palaces- now converted into a museum, loads of shopping and restaurants inside this fort. We visited the same last in this city, we liked the Mehrangarh Fort of Jodhpur more than this one.

• tremendopunto's Profile Photo

Camel Safari

by tremendopunto Written Aug 23, 2006

Jaisalmer is a perfect place to try a camel safari. You can do a daytrip for some hours, a couple of days up to a several week trip to Bikaner to get the real caravan feeling.....
    It is great fun, especially when you arrive from the desert and see the oasis of Jaisalmer on the horizont. ike a fatah morgana :-)

Oh, one little warning, if you are not used to spreading your legs it can get painful after a while....

Nathmalji ki Haveli

The Haveli

All of these Havelis are within walking distance of each other. So after getting done with the Patwon ki Haveli we walked up to the Nathmalji ki Haveli. It's facade is a riot of ornamentation. However we didn't go in.

Salem Singh ki Haveli

The Haveli

It has a beatifully arched roof, built by the prime minister who had differences with the king. Originally planned to be connected to the fort, when the king decided against it 2 storeys of this haveli were brought down. Inside there are myriad forms of intelligent architecture all built with the intention of thwarting enemies who may enter from outside. Uneven steps, narrow entrances that ensured the enemies could enter only one at a time so that the women of the household could defend themselves.
    The roof is made from multiple parts that are only mechanically joint together. Very ornate and quite spectacular.

• toonhut's Profile Photo

Night in the sands

by toonhut Written May 6, 2010

postcard perfect

If you like many decide to stay overnight at the dunes, or even go for a sunset trip, there are a lot of people who provide these services. After much searching, the arrangements made by Swastika Hotel fit best.

Sunset viewing, camel-thing, and return per person from Sam dunes (pronounced: Sum) is about Rs300. Overnight stay is Rs1000. Either way their prices are competitive and can probably offer what you want, more comfortable overnight stays perhaps.

In case you plan to stay overnight, bring a torch and sheet with you. The hut they provide has no electricity. However, your host family will prepare a thoughtful meal and you can know more of the region's real life as you have your dinner amid lovely lambs and assertive goats. Good way to get an idea of how the majority of the community lives here everyday. Quite unforgettable. Especially if that night there happens to be a fierce sandstorm.... :)

• Camping

The Fortress

by herzog63 Written Jun 26, 2003

The Fortress

When I first laid my eyes upon the fortress of Jaisalmer I felt like I had stepped into a Fairy Tale or a book about the Arabian Nights!! I was smiling to myself as I could see the fortress rising up out of the desert as our train neared. I was thinking to myself what a peaceful place to spend some time. Well the peacefullness all changed when the train came to a stop! The touts were out in Full Force! "Hello!! Come stay at my hotel" "Hello sir come with me" etc..... Then one guy with a friendly face approached me and asked if I had chosen a hotel yet. He seemed good and he had a cheap place to stay within the walls of the Fortress so I hoped in his jeep with 6 or 7 other travelers and off we went.

• Castles and Palaces

• herzog63's Profile Photo

Check out the sunsets............

by herzog63 Written Jun 27, 2003

Desert Sunset

Everynight on my camel trek we had beautiful sunsets. It was great to watch the sun melt into the sand! The temperature would drop also. I had to be around 90º F during the day and it seemed to drop into the 50's or 60's F during the night. I was glad that I had a warm sweater with me or I would've been quite cold!! After sunset our guides would build a small fire and we would sit around sharing stories until it was time for us to fall asleep.

Beautiful building

by herzog63 Written Jun 27, 2003

cool building

This building was being built when I was in Jaisalmer in 1985. I'm not sure if it's a hotel or museum or some rich guys house. If anyone knows please email me as I would love to know what it is.
    It's located inside the walled city fairly close to the main gate.

• Luchonda's Profile Photo

Jaisalmer

by Luchonda Updated Aug 23, 2003

Narrow streets

Jaisalmer - close to the Pakistani border and in the middle of the Thar Desert.
    The buildings are unique - witness of old India and transit station to the western world.
    Caravans of jewels - silk and speceries made this part of India rich - a long time ago !

• tremendopunto's Profile Photo

Visit the Gadi Sagar reservoir

by tremendopunto Updated Aug 23, 2006

this picture is also a postcard motive

The Gadi Sagar water reservoir of the city is just in walking distance. It is a beautiful place with temple buildings and embraced by sanddunes. Some water buffaloes (in the desert? - yes) take the chance for a bath to cool down....

• Luchonda's Profile Photo

Royal Tombs

by Luchonda Updated Aug 23, 2003

Royal Tombs

In the north of the city you can visit the royal tombs - called "Chhatri's" You can get there by renting a bike in the city!
    Those tombs are well decorated - beautiful ceilings and carvings.
    Located at the hills of Jaisalmer - at sundown
    shall i tell you more or is this already inviting !

• WaRPer's Profile Photo

Desert Safari

by WaRPer Written Apr 1, 2008

Thar Desert - Camel Safari

Almost every hotel offer a desert safari tour, both sunset-only and overnight camping trip. Due to the fact that the competition is really high, some of the hotel hold a sign “No Harassment” just to make us tourists feel a little more comfortable! We didn’t buy the packaged tour (which costs around 700 a person for sunset-only return trip) but just hired a TATA Sumo (Jeep) – 1200 Rupees for 4 hours (max 6 pax) They’ll drop you at the camel station (?!?) about 300 meters away for Sam San Dune, the sunset point. From there you’ll be overly attacked by a swarm of camel boys, trying to push you up on their camels!! What you should do is look them in the eyes, and pick one that you think you can trust…my advice is picking a young boy over a man, the adults are too tricky!! Anyhow, the price you need to pay is only something around 100-150 unless you want to help them really badly. Ask them TWICE that it’s a return trip! On the way riding on your camel’s back, the guys will ask if you wanna go any further and they’ll charge you JUST a lil’extra “500 Rupees.” >> Please insist NOT going, there’s no difference between THIS sand dune and THAT sand dune!! So…the guys got upset and disappointed by you turning down their offer, they’ll again come with another propose; “We’ll drop you here and be back again after sunset, we need to get more money from other travelers” Yeah you have to let them go, gotta trust them just for once! Well…they usually come back, but if you’re really out of luck you still can walk back to the car park, it’s not that far!!

• Eco-Tourism

• atufft's Profile Photo

Patwon-Ki-Haveli, Part I

by atufft Written May 13, 2007

Patwon Ki Haveli on the Streetside

Havelis are merchant palaces of sorts, but a decidedly urbane style of architecture. Below the citadel on the north side is a neighborhood of several such havelis built by wealthy Jaisalmer merchants. The Patwon-Ki-Haveli was built by five sons of a patua family during the 18th century and took some fifty years to build. Our driver and locals often referred to this Haveli as the "patua" haveli. This patua family specialized in trade of gold, silver, and brocade, but the huge wealth seems to have been a combined business of banking and opium trade, with some 300 outlets between Jaisalmer, into Afghanistan, and even as far away as China. The entrance to this haveli is via a tunnel into a narrow street, where the haveli balconies suddenly jump into stunning view.

• Castles and Palaces

Instant Answers: Jaisalmer

Comments

Jaisalmer Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Jaisalmer things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Jaisalmer sightseeing.