Jodhpur Tourist Traps

Who needs a crystal ball?
    by Canadienne
    Winding Path to the Fort
    by Canadienne
  • Tourist Traps
    by o00o

Most Recent Tourist Traps in Jodhpur

• Canadienne's Profile Photo

Your Fate is in Your Hands!

by Canadienne Written Feb 13, 2005

Who needs a crystal ball?

Mehrangarh Fort has a resident hand-reading expert (is that the appropriate word?!), S.L. Sharma , who can give you a fifteen minute reading, or more if you desire. We're all suckers for a little fortune-telling, so we all anted up our 150 rupees (5 CAD). . .

Unique Suggestions: You know things are getting serious when the protractor and calculator come out!

Some of Sharma-ji's assertions were right on the money ~ I'm an idealist in love and I rarely regret decisions. Others weren't very accurate ~ he indicated that our friend Jessica is highly organized, which brought a moment of humour for all of us.

Predictions? Well, who knows?! I apparently have an inheritance somewhere down the road, along with a potential health problem at 50-52! I'll have to get back to you on the accuracy of these. . .

Fun Alternatives: If you're really tight on money, skip it, but otherwise this is a perfectly fun and harmless tourist trap! What better place to try a palm reading than in India?

• Castles and Palaces

• Canadienne's Profile Photo

Path to the Fort

by Canadienne Written Feb 13, 2005

Winding Path to the Fort

Upendra Srimali, the manager at the Haveli Guesthouse, was kind enough to give me some advice before I headed off on my own on my first day in Jodhpur. His suggestions included a recommended route for sightseeing and wandering, plus a gentle warning that the path to the fort can be a bit troublesome, if you're unprepared.

Unique Suggestions: The route up to the fort is a winding, sometimes steep one, and you'll pass many homes on the way. Young women will come out and try to draw your attention with greetings and flattery. They will try to invite you in for a visit, then decorate your palms with henna. . .with a hefty price to come once they've got you hooked. The standard story is that they need donations for a new temple. . .but it's a hard sell.

Fun Alternatives: Just keep your eyes ahead and continue walking, or wave and pretend you don't understand. . .no harm, it's just a minor annoyance to avoid.

Instant Answers: Jodhpur

Comments

Jodhpur Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Jodhpur tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Jodhpur sightseeing.