Getting Around State of Rajasthan

Jaipur Railway Station from outside.
  • Transportation
  • Transportation

Most Viewed Transportation in State of Rajasthan

• Knowledgeable Driver and Guide in Rajasthan

by ChrisIntrepidATW Written Nov 25, 2013

By luck I found a great guide and driver for around Rajasthan. Based in Jaipur, Gopal runs India Tour Car Driver, a great way of seeing the city and getting around Rajasthan as well. I don't usually hire guides or drivers, preferring to find my own way around, and usually getting lost in the process. But in this case I can highly reccommend it. Jaipur's main attractions are spread out, and unless you have your own transportation, you will spend time and money trying to bargain your way from sight to sight. With Gopal, you hire a driver for the day or longer, and he shows you around. He is knowledgeable about the usual tourist attractions, as well as some restaurants etc. which are off the beaten track, and offer good food with local ambience at local prices. All in all highly reccommended. Website: www.indiatourcardriver.com

Gopal in front of one of his cars.
    • Adventure Travel

• jbrunie's Profile Photo

Toyota Innova

by jbrunie Written Jul 30, 2011

hello

I just returned from a very good trip to India (Delhi - Rajasthan + Agra, and Varanasi - Delhi). I did the first part (Rajasthan) by car with driver and I can recommend it ....I find from Guide Routard and my driver! Level value for money there is no better. Indeed, I could compare it with all the backpackers we have meet on the spot!

I've had for 45€ / day (two) in a good car -> Toyota Innova, with air conditioning and a very comfortable seat in the back! This is equivalent to 2950Rps/jour what seems to be very reasonable! Beyond this price, our driver "Raju" (pronounced Raju) was particularly nice, interesting and very good driver!

I can only recommend, we were two and we could choose our whole route, there was no trick, Raju has ever proposed a hotel unless they asked. In short, you're free and in addition, it serves very good guide!

I give you their contact information to the wise....

The email address of Raj Banewal (he manages the "business”) is as follows: info@rajasthanvoyages.in

if you wont also mail me.jbrunie@post.com

JB

• babs888's Profile Photo

Very good guide and driver in Rajasthan

by babs888 Written Jul 25, 2011

Hello
    I just came back from my second trip to Rajasthan. It is really
    a wonderful place to visit, like from a fairy tale.

Jaipur the pink city, Jodhpur the blue city, Udaipur the beautiful
    city on the lake Pichola, Havelis in Mandawa, all the forts and
    palaces. Incredible.

Even so I prefer to travel individually, I had both times
    a driver and guide. I think it is really much easier, especially
    when one is not so young anymore.... You save lots of energy and time
    booking tickets and looking for hotels. India is strenous enough anyway.

I would like to recommend my driver and guide Pawan Sharma very much.
    He is very reliable, honest, friendly and speaks English very well.

From the very beginning of the trip - he came to get me at the airport,
    booked a nice hotel in Dehli - I felt very safe. Especially when going to
    India the first time.

He can organize your trip according to your wishes, depending how long you
    want to travel, how much you want to see, where you want to go and what
    standard of hotels you like.

His Mail: sharma_rocket@yahoo.co.in.
    www.driver.hostrocket.com

Beautiful Indians in Jaipur Palace Beautiful women in a little village in  Rajasthan Lake Palace in Udaipur My wonderful guide Pawan
    • Museum Visits

• phadke2001's Profile Photo

Indian Railways - A Great Way to Travel

by phadke2001 Updated Apr 4, 2011

I travelled all over Rajasthan by train. And not the palace on wheels. I took the regular Indian railways trains.
    I have always held IR in great esteem. The links are great, trains are on time at least 90% of the time and if you travel by AC 2 or AC3 then you get out of the train relaxed, refreshed and well fed. The catering on most trains is above average and I have never heard of anyone falling ill after eating IR food. Besides, travelling by train allows you to connect with other locals in a way which planes never allow. There is a certain romance about travelling in a train.

Booking tickets on Indian Railways was a breeze. All bookings - & I really mean All bookings - can be done on the net now. The website is given below. Couple of things to note:

1. In order to be absolutely certain of getting seats you will need to book on the day when the bookings open i.e. 60 days before the day of journey. Bookings are easier to get in 2nd class but the journey is more tiring and difficult especially for foreigners.

2. Plan your journey on the following website by identifying the trains in advance. www.indianrail.gov.in. It is difficult to find trains on the website that offers bookings, if you are doing it before 60 days of travel.

3. You can pay by - Visa / Mastercard online but tickets cannot be cancelled online. Someone has to go to the station to cancel the tickets. Tickets can be cancelled at any train station in the country.

4.You will need to have an address in India for the tickets to be delivered. Currently tickets are not delivered outside the country.

Website for Booking Rail Tickets

• RAJASTHANBYCAR's Profile Photo

Driving throught Rajasthan

by RAJASTHANBYCAR Updated Oct 31, 2009

Rajasthan its rich heritage, colourful culture.It is vast, diverse, colorful and filled with fantastical Palaces, Forts and old Havelis. Hire a car and driver to take in the spread-out sights.From the green hills of Udaipur, west to the Thar desert. From the crisp air of Mount Abu in the south up to Bikaner, with its arid semi-desert - there are wondrous things to see.Rajasthan is often portrayed as one vast open-air museum, with its relics so well preserved that it delights even the most skeptical traveler.It is an incredible destination for the outdoor-tourist .

Car Tour Car
    • Seniors

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

Getting around

by lynnehamman Updated Mar 13, 2009

there are three ways to go - train, bus or car. Trains are quick, safe and comforable. Easy to book a ticket. My choice for travelling anywhere in India
    Bus travel around Rajasthan is a haphazard but never dull affair. Some buses are clean, air-conditioned, and its possible to book the preferred seat. We usually booked the front seats (AA) which have more leg-room. HOWEVER - one does not always find that the bus you booked on is the one that arrives to transport you! We had some hysterically funny bus trips - goats & chickens on the roof - no air-con, a driver that obviously thought the rule of the road was "NO RULE" They were always packed,literally to the rafters. But everyone was happy,and we marvelled at their apparent lack of a care in the world.We always got to our destinations, albeit never on time. Most of the bus trips were between 6-8 hours long. Cars are much less.
    Now Car Travel- suffice to say FIND A GOOD DRIVER with a reliable car(usually can be arranged by your hotel manager) The roads can be a nightmare if you do not have a good driver,who understands at least basic english. We were usually lucky,and only had one or two dreadful trips. AND AVOID DRIVING AT NIGHT -IT IS TREACHEROUS
    The buses felt safer - The bigger the better. BusFares are minimal, and car hire usually costs between R2500-R3000

Air-con Bus Stop at a Rail-Crossing Station, Sawai Madupur Rajasthan

• Palace on Wheels Luxury Train

by vaibhav_s Written Feb 13, 2009

Truly speaking, Palace on Wheels added to my experience of the pleasurable journey. The train had everything to make me feel at home. The coaches with 4 double-bed chambers were complete with contemporary facilities like intercom, channel music, attached toilets, shower, running hot and cold water and floor covering. Then, there were saloons also with 4 sleeping rooms. There again was no dearth of modern amenities to put me on ease. I really relished the mouthwatering Indian, Chinese and Continental culinary fares of the train at the Dining Car. The Lounge made a perfect place for me to unwind reading books and magazines. I could, at the same time, pamper my eyes with the beauty of the region looking outside the window.

The luxury train also had a provision for indoor games. The options were really wide as I could play games like chess, Chinese checkers, Crossword Puzzles and Carom Board. There were good security arrangements onboard. The attendants, called the Khidmatgar, did their bit to perfection. I did not even have to bother about my luggage. Onboard, I could also see some special facilities for the physically challenged people, which actually impressed me no end.

Palace on wheels
    • Luxury Travel

• Rajasthan-Tour with Sushil

by Pekaul Written Nov 16, 2006

In September 2006 we were in Rajasthan for 3 weeks.
    Sushil was our guide and driver for the whole time. He prepared a wonderful tour for us. He showed us many things, which ‘normal’ tourists cannot see. The whole tour was well-organised (hotels, sight-seeing, guides in the cities).
    Beside cultural climaxes (Taj-Mahal, Hawa Mahal), Sushil also organised a trekking tour for one day through the jungle (in Ranakpur) and a camel tour in the desert (near Jaisalmer) with accommodation open air.
    Sushil also gave advises for the meal (which restaurants, what to eat).
    We just can recommend Sushil for tours in Rajasthan and India.

Homepage: www.sushil.net.ms
    E-Mail: sushil3870@yahoo.com

For other information about our tour you can contact us by e-mail: Peter.Jandeisek@web.de

• Desert
    • Hiking and Walking

• Driver in Rajastan

by mssnash Updated Jan 7, 2006

I recently spent over 2 weeks in India. We found a fabulous driver through one of these forums and wanted to recommend him to anyone traveling to Delhi-Rajastan.
    As a female arriving alone into Delhi in the middle of the night I was a bit nervous about getting into a vehicle not only with someone I did not know but in a very foreign country. Sushil was there to pick me up and all my luggage and took very good care. The next day my other 2 traveling companions arrived he was good with them as well. He knew exactly what do do about getting a SIM card for our phones, and where to go. We had a lot of the places picked out ourselves before arriving and he had no problem with that either. He also took us to Rajastan. Since we had a lot of luggages he made arrangements with his other driver "Mr James Bond" (as we called him) to take his Qualis. When we arrived in Agra he took us to a place most tourists do not get to see.. the Taj Mahal from the backside... (no fees for this viewing versus the $18USD from the front). Rajastan was just super, they had no problems to stop and ask the local people if we could take their photo. They let us shop during the day hassle free. They were always where we had agreed and on time. Both Sushil and James speak very good English so no worries there. They did a SUPER job taking care of 3 women, lots of luggage, and were interested in seeing lots of interesting things. Sushil accompanied us on rickshaw through Chandi Chowk market and James rode the elephant with us in Jaipur. And my last but not least comment would be his prices are VERY reasonable as well as he is good corresponding via email.

Please contact me if you need any additional information or Sushil directly.. sushil3870@yahoo.com www.sushil.net.ms

• Women's Travel

• Durfun's Profile Photo

Conducted Sight-seeing ricksaws

by Durfun Written Jan 2, 2006

Can catch a luxury coach from a main station like Ahmedabad, unless you can arrived in Delhi, or Rajasthan itself.

Once at the given city, always hire a local rixa to take you around the tourist attractions. They will have a printed itinerary card showing you all the stops. And can take your time at the stops.

Cycle-rickshaw

by darthmilmo Written Nov 22, 2005

Call me crazy, but the highlight to the city of Jaipur was a ride in a cycle rickshaw. It marked the first time I've ridden on one. The driver took me across downtown and back to my hotel on this vehicle that sole power was the mighty legs that moved the pedals, chains, and wheels. It was an interesting experience. In retrospect, riding a cycle rickshaw today is as normal as taking a taxi back home as it's a major means of transportation in India. Bargaining is the norm and the drivers expect you to bargain down the price. Do keep in mind the currency conversion though. At one point, I caught myself bargaining hard on what ended up being $0.10 cents? shame, shame, shame!

Cycle-Rickshaw, Jaipur
    • Cycling

Touring India on a motorbike

by darthmilmo Written Nov 22, 2005

An interesting way to see India is on a motorcycle. Some tourists actually plan their trip around this very thing… they buy or rent a Royal Enfield and hit the road. Mind you, driving in India is dangerous so take it easy will ya :)! The best place to start looking for a bike if you’re in a rush is probably your hotel. If you want a good deal, though, you’ll be better off asking the locals as the hotel will usually charge a premium.

As for me, I rented a motorbike here and there. My fondest memory was the time I spent in Diu, where we rented these old beaten mopeds for a mere 80 INR per day! Gas was cheap as well, at about 40 INR per liter. Renting a Royal Enfield would cost more. The cheapest I’ve seen it quoted was 200 INR per day, but I wouldn’t be surprise to see it going for 500 INR (particularly in Ladakh and far off regions).

Motorcycle ride around Diu

Train Stations and Foreign Counters

by darthmilmo Updated Nov 22, 2005

At times, the trains stations themselves are a site to see. A good example is the Victoria Terminus or CST (Chhatrapati Sivaji Terminus) in Mumbai, which is said to be the most impressive show of Victorian Gothic architecture in India. It certainly is one of the most beautiful train stations I?ve seen. As in many other stations across India, you will benefit from the use of a foreigner-only counter. I really admire the kind service Indians offer to foreigners in the train stations. These counters serve the foreigners and do not charge a premium for their services. It?s a great way to avoid the usual long lines in the stations. Even if the station doesn?t have a foreigners? line don?t be surprise if you are allowed to cut through the lines.

Excuse me, do you know the way to platform three

Buses ? Long Distance State Ran Buses

by darthmilmo Written Nov 22, 2005

Although not in Rajasthan, this annectode is a great story for those planning to take the local buses (not delux), which are similar to the school buses used in Central America. Anyway, read on... My first long bus in India was from Aurangabad to the state of Gujarat. I wasn't sure what I was getting into as I waited for my bus in the messy state bus station. It was only a room with a roof and no walls. Some benches did allow you to sit down and wait though. I noticed ppl began to pile up in the waiting area I was in and so it became apparent that there were more ppl then seats available on the bus. When the bus approached, it was a push and shove competition over who would get a seat. Adding to my dilemma was my huge backpack! How would I fit it in there? Why didn?t they have luggage room? Silly questions in India I guess. As luck had it, the bus coordinator pointed me to a sit. It was a three men bench seat design for two ppl and with a Muslim man already taking the window seat. You could tell he was Muslim for he was wearing a nice characteristic hat and a large beard that would make Muhammad proud! I sat myself and I shoved the backpack in front of me. This was not going to work. I was on a 3 men bench and so a 3rd men stepped to the sit. I didn't know what to do with the rucksack so I just shoved it into the floor between the bench and the one in front of it. So much for leg room! The other bench mate was a Muslim as well in similar attire. He was kind enough to let me use his leg room as well. So there I was sitting between to Muslims on what would be a 17 hour bus journey on an old rocky bus ride. As luck had it, ppl began leaving the bus as the night progressed and by around midnight I had the whole bench to myself. This meant I had a makeshift bed to sleep in :). Eventually, we arrived to our destination. Moral of the story, take a small backpack to India :). Also, no matter how bad the ride is, it will end eventually :).

And you thought bus travel was the worst option in
    • National/State Park

Sleeper Class - Train Travel

by darthmilmo Written Nov 22, 2005

Train travel is an experience in and on itself. While in India, I got used to traveling rough. The rides were always interesting. For long trips, I usually took the sleeper class service, which provides a bed in an open wagon. The wagon holds about 50 or so beds spread across in several tier beds plus an extra 2 tier bed system across the hall from each of the sets of 3 tier beds. As if it wasn't enough, there were ppl sleeping on the floor! Although it doesn't have A/C, it does have powerful fans and access to open windows. Thus, it was quite cool at night.

Typical sleeper wagon

1 Hotel
Jaitaran Hotels
See nearby hotels

Instant Answers: State of Rajasthan

Comments

State of Rajasthan Transportation

Reviews and photos of State of Rajasthan transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for State of Rajasthan sightseeing.
Map of State of Rajasthan