Udaipur Favorites

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

Surpises around every Corner

by lynnehamman Updated Dec 10, 2008

A lane in Udaipur

Favorite thing: Take a stroll along the winding lanes of Udaipur, and you will encounter a surprise around every corner. Because the lanes are very narrow, cars cannot drive though most of them There are, however, auto-rickshaws,motor -cycles & bycycles everywhere. A profusion of animals join this melee. Goats ,donkeys carrying building-rubble in sacks on their backs,dogs and even a camel or two. A favourite thing to do in Udaipur is just grab a window table at one of the many chai shops which line these lanes, order chai & a tasty cake or two, and watch the world go by. When I say window-table, they dont actually have "windows" , but are open, and very close to the action.
    The shop & stall keepers, who sell amazing wares, are all friendly, polite & hospitable.......you will find that bargaining CAN be fun, and usually is.We discovered much about Udaipur just by chatting to many of these people, things that are not in guide - books.Every time we return to Udaipur, the first thing we do is go for a walk, and its heartwarming to see that everyone remembers us, it feels like we had never left.

Fondest memory: Just a few memories & pictures of Udaipur..........
    We were having lunch at the rooftop restuarant of our hotel,which overlooks Lake Pichola, and there were two young girls standing on the ghat, waist-deep in the water. They were washing their long hair, pouring water from a bucket, and it was so beautiful to watch. Every time I sit in a hair salon I think of how happy & contented they were.

• Castles and Palaces

• hrj's Profile Photo

lacks & mountain

by hrj Written Apr 25, 2008

Favorite thing: Hi, Udaipur to Mount Abu is five hour drive. ( Now dayes four lane work going on ) No train Udaipur to Mount Abu. If you like to hire car & driver try them www.heritagejourney.com
    have a good trip

Fondest memory: Beautiful lacks in city

• Music

Jag Mandir Island - Seats

by Willettsworld Written Dec 5, 2007

Favorite thing: On the roof of the pavillion that faces the lake on Jag Mandir island are several nice relaxing seats to sit in and take in the views of the lake, Lake Palace Hotel and the City Palace. Nice spot. Also, there are some floor seats in the pavillion below.

• Willettsworld's Profile Photo

Waiting area for boat trip

by Willettsworld Written Dec 4, 2007

Favorite thing: I had to wait about 30 minutes for the next boat trip and was shown into a covered area nearby where people take a launch (boat) over to the Lake Palace Hotel. This area is rather posh with nice seats and you get the chance to see the posh people pass through!

City Palace - Ticket details

by Willettsworld Written Dec 4, 2007

Favorite thing: The City Palace has a whole host of different types of tickets available for entrance, boat rides and other packages. Note the price for taking in a camera! I've listed them below just in case you can't read them from the photo:

1. City Palace Complex entrance ticket (excludes museum, used to get to jetty for lake boat trip) - Rs25
    2. Package (City Palace Museum & soft drink with crystal touch plus boat ride & another soft drink with crystal touch) - Rs570
    3. City Palace Museum - Rs50
    4. All types of cameras - Rs200(!)
    5. Soft drink with a crystal touch - Rs300 (whatever this is)
    6. Boat ride (one hour including visit of Jagmandir island palace) - Rs250
    7. Boat cruise (half an hour lake safari) - Rs130
    8. Soft drink with a vintage touch (at garden hotel) - Rs100
    9. Veg Thali & soft drink with a crystal touch (at garden hotel) - Rs130
    10. Lunch/dinner coupon - veg thali at Garden Hotel restaurant - Rs60
    11. Charter boat upto 7 people - Rs2000, 8-12 people - Rs3000, 13-18 people - Rs4500
    12. The Mewar sound & light show at the Manek Chowk Hathnal-ki-Chandni - Rs300
    13. As above at the Manek Chowk - Rs125.

• josephescu's Profile Photo

The Sisodia Dynasty

by josephescu Written Aug 19, 2007

Favorite thing: The Sisodias dynasty rules Udaipur, and claim their descent from Lord Rama, the hero of the famous Hindu epic Ramayana. It is also said that the group descended from the Sun God and is thus known as the Suryavanshi or Children of Sun. The prince of Mewar is treated as the legitimate heir to the throne of Rama. The earliest history of the clan calims that the group had probably descended from the Central Asian tribes who had moved from Kashmir to Gujarat in the 6th century.

The sisodians also claim to be one of the oldest ruling dynasties in the world, spanning 76 generations.

Read more at http://www.mewarindia.com/ency/ency.html

• Castles and Palaces

• josephescu's Profile Photo

a piece of history...

by josephescu Written Aug 19, 2007
    panoramic view, Udaipur

Favorite thing: Udaipur was the capital of the Mewar Kingdom.

Legend has it that Maharana Udai Singh came upon a hermit while hunting in the foothills of the Aravalli Range. The hermit blessed the king and told him that if he built a palace on the spot, it would be well protected. Udai Singh established a residence there.

In 1568 the Mughal emperor Akbar captured the capital of the kingdom of Mewar, and Udai Singh moved the capital to the site of his residence, which became the city of Udaipur. As the Mughal empire weakened, the rulers of Mewar (Sisodia ranas, and later maharanas) reasserted their independence and recaptured most part of Mewar except the fort of Chittor.

Udaipur remained the capital of the state, which became a princely state of British India in 1818. After India's Independence in 1947, the Maharaja of Udaipur acceded to the Government of India, and Mewar was integrated into India's Rajasthan state.

Its The Little Things

by keeweechic Updated Jun 30, 2006

Favorite thing: While this bazaar was no different to anywhere else I had experienced with locals, this was a memorable experience. I walked around and was used to the stares by then. I didn't see another westerner the whole time and really... it was great. I didn't feel like a tourist other than when I took my camera out.

While walking down the main street of the bazaar, a young boy carrying a very young child started to stalk me. With heartfelt difficulty, I brushed him off.. as we were told to do, but to no avail. He continued to follow me around. I suddenly remembered I was still carrying a little bag of an assortment of soaps, shampoos etc. from the hotel. This was something we came to do travelling around the country. In so many places small children were not only asking for pens but for shampoos so we decided that we would take the complimentary 'stash' in our hotel rooms and give them out to children when they asked. I still had a small bag of these little bottles etc, so I gave the bag to him and kept walking. I got quite a bit further along the road before I turned around. He was still walking behind me, but slowly this time, holding this little bag with a stunned look on his face. It was priceless. I don't think he quite knew what to do with it and it wasn't quite what he was expecting from me. It was mostly in the countryside that we had been asked for such things and I think being in the city, this was an unusual gesture. I just hope he managed to recover and take it home to his mother.

A Real Local Bazaar

by keeweechic Written Jun 11, 2006

Favorite thing: After an exhausting attempt to explain that I wasn't interested in being the typical tourist and shopping, my rickshaw driver finally suggested he take me to Bapu Bazaar. Having no idea, I hoped I had made myself clear and off we went. Now this was what I was looking for. Not a tourist in sight. Bapu Bazaar was a maze of lanes and little streets leading onto a main road. There were all sorts of vendors selling everything a household would be looking for. The only thing I was interested in buying was another inexpensive bag to replace the one I was carrying. The strap was breaking fast and I needed a replacement. I found a tiny store and there were no end of bags brought out for me trying to meet the criteria of what I wanted. Finally, success.. and a really good bargain as well. Language was no problem at all.

My Afternoon's Experience

by keeweechic Written Jun 11, 2006

Favorite thing: My last afternoon in Udaipur was at leisure and I was reluctant to spend it around a pool at my hotel. For some reason in Udaipur, I didn't think we really got around as much as we could have or maybe the City Palace took up so much of the tour. I spoke to the front desk about where to go to experience local shopping and how best to get there. They advise a auto rickshaw or taxi and City Palace Road. The rickshaw sounded good to me, more local and a better experience. The driver turned up after around 5 mins and we headed off.

Halfway down the road he wanted to take me to a local handcrafts store. I said I didn't have much time and wasn't so much interested in shopping as experience the atmosphere of local bazaars etc. Still he insisted it would help local life so I said, ok.. 5 mins. I presume they make some kind of commission by bringing visitors to these places so I obliged. There wasn't anything I wanted and spent my promised 5 mins before we left. I told him the hotel had suggested City Palace Road for shopping. Enroute we passed several areas where I thought would have been good to stop but persisted with the advice given. Unfortunately once there, this road was very much the upmarket shopping area for antiques etc. There were a few shops where I stopped and looked through, but this was not the atmosphere I was hoping for.

Imagine Yourself...

by keeweechic Written Jun 11, 2006

Favorite thing: Alighting at Jag Mandir at the jetty guarded by 8 stone lions, it wasn’t too difficult to imagine the grandeur of this small island and its historical significance when it gave shelter to the Mughal Prince Khurram. After strolling the courtyard, there was nothing nicer than to sit in the columned terraces taking in the breathless view of Udaipur’s City Palace and surrounds sipping on a cool drink... and taking a memento photo for friends.

• Cruise

Take A Boat Cruise at Sunset

by keeweechic Written Jun 11, 2006

Favorite thing: We took a boat cruise at sunset on our last night in Udaipur. The open sided boat with a canopy took us around Lake Pichola’s foreshore where we saw locals bathing or washing their clothes on the ghats. The side-by-side mix of architecture of the haveli’s and old palaces was wonderful. We cruised up close to the arched bridge by Chand Pole then back along past the white marbled Lake Palace.

• Cruise
    • Architecture

• chetak's Profile Photo

Trekking

by chetak Updated Aug 25, 2005

Favorite thing: Brings to surface the hidden passions of many individuals who are in want of adventure . the natural vistas in the backdrop of hills provides an ideal paradise for the nature lovers and the trekkers . The Trekking routes are made to pass through the valleys so that the dense forests , fresh water streams , steep hills provide enough material for adventure . these trekking impress and indelible remarks on the memory. The chance to story the flora and fauna , animal and bird life and get away from the usual crowded tourist spots attracts countless trekkers .Important Trekking routes are:---
    The Way Distance
    1.Kumbhalgarh To Ranakpur Or V/V 25 K.M.
    2.Kumbhalgrah To Thandiberi 14 K.M.
    3.Roopnagar To Sumer 8 K.M.
    4.Ranakpur To Ranakpur 15 K.M.
    5.Kumbhalgrah To Kumbhalgarh 10 K.M.

Fondest memory: Rajasthan is the fantastic state of India and Special thing is the lakes in Udaipur . When you heard the name of Rajasthan , the only thing comes in mind that it is a dry state but no, It has a wonder magic in lake city Udaipur . After a long time now the all lakes are full and tourism sector creating a record for tourist in Hospitality .

• Safari

• Luchonda's Profile Photo

Udaipur - the City Palace

by Luchonda Updated Aug 3, 2003

View on the lake Pichola

Favorite thing: The highlight in Central Udaipur is without doubt the City Palace.
    It is the biggest palace complex in Rajasthan
    It has a museum showing the richness of the region and the Jagdish temple is also located here.
    The best way to visit is walking or by ricksaw.
    If you intend to visit Ranakpur - take a taxi or bus.

• Luchonda's Profile Photo

Udaipur - the Pichola Lake

by Luchonda Updated Aug 3, 2003

Jag Niwas

Favorite thing: Jag Niwas - better known as Lake Palace seems to float on the Pichola Lake.
    Built in 1746 - the story goes that a young prince Jahat Singh asked his father for permission to go with the ladies of his court to the nearby Jag Mandir.His father refused - and so this palace of pleasure was built by the son himself.

Instant Answers: Udaipur

Comments

Udaipur Favorites

Reviews and photos of Udaipur favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Udaipur sightseeing.