Been here? Rate It!
Fort Saint George
Fort St. George - Fort St. George occupies a place of pride and prominence in Chennai. The British East India Company under the direct supervision of Francis Day and Andrew Cogon built it in 1640 AD. This bastion achieved name from St. George, the patron saint of England. The fort houses St. Mary's Church and fort museum. St. Mary's Church the oldest Anglican Church in India built in 1680 and the tombstones in its courtyard are the oldest British tombstones in India. This ancient prayer house solemnized the marriages of Robert Clive and Governor Elinu-Yale, who later founded the Yale University in the States. The Fort Museum is the repository of rare exhibits of weapons, uniforms, coins, costumes, medals and some other artifacts dating back to the British period. The flagstaff at Fort St. George is still the tallest in India. South of the Fort is the War Memorial, a graceful monument built in 1939 in memory of the warriors who sacrificed their lives during the First World War. The Island Grounds, the biggest lung space in the city is situated on an island formed by the river Cooum. This ground is the eventful venue of Trade and the Tourist Fairs held periodically which are seasonal attractions. The High Court with the decorative domes and corridors reminiscent of Indo/Saracenic architecture and the adjacent Parry's corner are the important landmarks of Chennai. This area is always crowded and active. Built in 1892, the High Court of Chennai is believed to be the second largest judicial complex in the world.
Built in 1654 and remodeled in 1749, Fort St. George is the first bastion of British power in India. The fort has a six-meter tall wall that withstood many sieges by Mughals in 1701, Marathas in 1741 and Hyder Ali during the late 18th century. The fort now houses the Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly.
Fort St George
Fort St George was the first British fortress in India, founded in 1639 in the coastal city of Madras (modern city of Chennai). The site was selected by Francis Day and Andrew Cogan of the British East India Company and was obtained in 1640 from Damerlavenkatadanaiak. It was planned as a square enclosure and the factory was situated in the centre. It was so named because building was completed on April 23rd, St George's Day. It became the company's eastern centre of government in 1652 and was blockaded by the Dutch in 1673.
The fort soon became the hub of merchant activity. It gave birth to a new settlement area called George Town (historically referred to as Black Town, while the fort was known as White Town), which grew to envelop the villages and led to the formation of the city of Madras.
In 1711 the old fort was demolished and Fort Square was constructed. New structures like the hospital and mint were added. It was bombarded and seized by Count de Lally between December 1758 to Feb 1759 - the renovation began in 1760, and the fort assumed its present state by 1781. Important buildings include Clive's House, St Mary's Church, and The Old Officer's Mess which now houses the Fort Museum.
- Budget Travel
Fort St George
Fort St George (or historically, White Town) is an important landmark in Chennai, on the shores of the Bay of Bengal. It was completed on April 23 1640, coinciding with St. George's Day, celebrated in honour of St. George, the patron saint of England, by the British East India Company, under the direct supervision of Andrew Cogon. It gave birth to a new settlement area called George Town (historically referred to as Black Town), which grew to envelop the villages and led to the formation of the city of Madras. The fort is a stronghold with 6 metre high walls that withstood a number of assaults in the 18th century. It briefly passed into the possession of the French from 1746 to 1749, but was restored to the British after the War of Austrian Succession.
Fort St George is regarded as the birthplace of the modern Indian army. It houses a number of non-military structures within its precincts and serves as the administrative headquarters for the legislative assembly of Tamil Nadu state. The fort also houses several interesting monuments, which include St Mary's Church (the oldest Anglican Church built in 1680), St George Museum (established in 1948) and the tombstones in the courtyard.
- Historical Travel
- Book online.
- Hotels.com See maps & reviews for over 140,000 Hotels worldwide!
- Save money, Book now!
- Booking.com Excellent choice, Low rates
Explore the World
- Sur Hotels
- Beaulieu-sur-Dordogne Hotels
- Norfolk Island Hotels
- Kampung Koh Hotels
- La Tranche-sur-Mer
- Sheldrake Springs