Also called `the Queen of Scottish Churches in the East,' St Andrew's Church is one of the finest specimens of Georgian architecture in the Indian sub-continent. The Church, also known as 'the Kirk,' was built in 1780, on the site of Freemasons Lodge and was consecrated in 1821. Inspired by St Martin-in-the-Fields in London, it was designed by Major Thomas de Havilland and Colonel James Caldwell of the Madras Engineers at a cost of £20,000.
The body of the church is a circle, with rectangular compartments to the east and west. The circular part, 24.5m (80ft) in diameter, is crowned by a shallow dome coloured a deep blue by crushed sea shells mixed with lapis lazuli. This is painted with golden stars and supported by 16 fluted pillars with Corinthian capitals. The steeple is 50m (164ft) high and features a bronze weathercock. The entrance features a double colonnade of 12 polished Ionic columns.