Kodaikanal Favorites

• General things to do in Kodaikanal

by dsantosh Written Feb 25, 2003

Nature

Favorite thing: SIGHTS TO SEE :
     The star shaped Kodaikanal Lake is set amidst the sylvan serenity of wooded slopes.
     The Byrant Park lies near the lake and is famed for its colourful flowers. A horticultural show in May is an annual feature that attracts garden lovers.
     The Solar Physical Observatory founded in 1898 lies at the highestpoint of the hills.
     Coaker's Walk offers some of the finest vistas of the plains.
     The Kurinji Andavar Temple enshrines Lord Murugan within itssanctum. Picturesque views make it a favourite haunt of visitors.
     The Telescope Houses allow visitors to have a panoramic view of the plains.
     The Green Valley View offers some unforgettable spectacles of the hill resort.
     The Pillar Rocks are vertical boulders towering over 121 metres.
     The Bear Shola Falls -a favourite picnic spot accessible only by a rugged path.
     The Shenbaganur Museum has a splendid collection of orchids.
    The Coaker's Walk offers some fantastic views of the surrounding plains. Another superb vantage point, is the Kurinji Andavar temple, dedicated to Lord Murugan, which provides a splendid view of the lofty hills, that embrace Kodaikanal. Some of the popular picnic spots in the resort, are the Green Valley View, Pillar Rocks, and Bear Shola Falls. The flora and fauna are lavishly found in this region. Shenbaganur Museum has an amazing orchid collection. The rarely found Kurinji flower is also found in plenty in Kodai. This flower which appears only once in twelve years was last seen in 1992. Bird watchers find an amazing variety hence Kody is the perfect place for them too.
    People craving for an exotic holiday amidst nature's richness, find Kodaikanal perfect and idyllic.

Fondest memory: Simply superb..Book your rooms in advance...and you will be in heaven

• Hiking and Walking

• herzog63's Profile Photo

Waterfall

by herzog63 Updated Jun 29, 2003

Waterfall Kodaikanal

Favorite thing: I found this small water fall on one of my hikes. I did come across some larger ones too but didn't take photos of them. Don't really know why. Back in those days I wasn't the shutterbug that I am now. It did rain a little while I was there too. The steam you can see in the photo is from the sun heating up the ground after the rains and finished.

• Adventure Travel

• herzog63's Profile Photo

Walking around

by herzog63 Updated Jun 29, 2003

Terraced Lands

Favorite thing: While walking around I could see how the local people lived and worked the land. As the elevation is quite high and can be steep in places I got to see the land terraced. I always like seeing the terraces as they are amazing works of art that take backbreaking amounts of work for their upkeep.

Fondest memory: Sorry my photo sucks!!

• Adventure Travel

Fondest memory: Kodai Lake, Coaker's Walk and the climate

• School Holidays

• Wonderful Party at Kodaikanal

by maddy1970 Updated Aug 3, 2007

Favorite thing: Kodai is one of the most beautiful place or rather hill station i have been to.

Fondest memory: We boarded Pandian express from chennai egmore on the 27th july. The occassion was our freinds bachelors party. We had booked 1st class and we were 10 of us. The fun started from the train itself none of slept till we reached kodai road.

We had packed our dinner from chennai itself chappatis / chicken curry / beef fry / pickels and a bread loaf.

When we landed in kodai we had booked a tempo traveller- thanks to our freind suki who made the arranagement before hand itself to avoid any kind of arguments and bargaining there.

On the way to Kodai hills, we had a breif stop at sapeethi restuarant for a tea break. After that all the 10 of us went to sleep.We reached our guest house , shared 4 rooms between 10 of us.Had good breakfast then whiled away our time till late in the evening . We headed straight to lake , we hired cycle and we really enjoyed though it was dark since the street lights were not working properly.After that we had to come to the room as there is no night life in kodai.

Had a good dinner chicken fry / chappaties / rice / rasam / dal / veg curry / chicken curry and offcourse lot of booze.

The next day was too good had drive around the kodaikanal, nice climate nor to cold nor warm, again we hit the bottles, shopping, had lunch at golden park, eventhough we wanted to have at hill top but as usual it was full. One nice place is Pastry corner you get real good stuff there.

Back to the room as we had to pack , we had a late train from kodai road 2345 hrs. It was really sad to leave kodai, hence i have decided to hit the place again in Aug 18th, with my family. I am also plaaning to buy a house there --- I think i can not discribe how wonderful kodai is that i have decided to settle there.

• Cycling

Instant Answers: Kodaikanal

Comments

Kodaikanal Favorites

Reviews and photos of Kodaikanal favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kodaikanal sightseeing.